Author Topic: Now for somethhing completely different...  (Read 1510 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Now for somethhing completely different...
« on: July 01, 2012, 08:14:01 PM »
Just wanted to share with you all some songs from the Canadian rock band Rush. When I was a teenager, in the early 1980s, I became a fan of Rush. Last night while sharing memories with a friend of the period from 1981 {When Ronald Reagan was inaugurated}  to 1984 {when I moved from the east coast to California} I formed a good deal of my adult persona. Last night we watched the inaugaration of Reagan and recalled that that very same day the announcement that the Iranians were releasing the American hostages. In the year 1982 Rush released an album called Signals which contained a song about the launch of the first space shuttle, Shuttle Columbia...

Here is that song, called COUNTDOWN:

When I was in high school I was pretty much a nerd {by social standards}. I associated with nerds, and I was involved in AP Computer studies in the school. I got 'into' computers about that time and I identified with the Digital Man, a song by Rush.

One thing I like about Rush is that they produce an awesome sound for a rock trio. In their early days they attempted to duplicate the sound of Led Zepplin... Here is one from their first release 'Rush!'

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Now for somethhing completely different...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »
This one of Rushs great Rockers... Anthem...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 08:29:06 PM »
And from the Signals album, the song about the cliques in high school, subdivisions..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 08:35:46 PM »
And I will leave it alone with this great one from the 90s, Animate! It is about the dynamic between a man and his wife...

And Entre Nous:

edit... (Natural Science clip contained some controversial clips)..
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:56:30 PM by muman613 »

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:36:30 PM »
In 1981, Ilan Ramon bombed the Iraqi nuclear reactor. He died in 2003 aboard the same Space Shuttle mentioned here.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »
In 1981, Ilan Ramon bombed the Iraqi nuclear reactor. He died in 2003 aboard the same Space Shuttle mentioned here.

Indeed I remember that day like it was yesterday. I remember every tragedy of the space shuttle program. They usually happened when they launched in January, I know this because they almost always crashed near my birthday.

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 09:27:53 PM »
MY bff forever died, may she rest in peace... this was her all time fav RUSH song--fitting for the times, to the max:

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 10:15:23 PM »
They sound too much like Yes.  So which group is more original? Rush or Yes?
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 10:29:48 PM »

It is interesting you should say that. Styx was the 1st rock show I saw in 1982, Rush I saw in 1983, and Yes I saw in 1984....

Yes had several very talented musicians. There are always comparisons between Bill Bruford (Yes's Drummer) and Neil Peart (Rush's Drummer).... Both are fantastic at their drumminig in my opinion.

I guess another similarity is the male soprano singer, both John Anderson and Geddy Lee sing at a very high pitch and have incredible soprano ranges.

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 10:35:16 PM »

Rush of course!

They influenced a lot of the music we hear today.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 02:56:40 AM »
Boy, I hadnt seen those album covers for decades.    While I liked Rush, I wasnt a huge fan of Geddy Lee's piercingly high voice.  It was just too strained sounding.  They were great musicians though, and Neil Peart was a great drummer for sure.