Author Topic: No Latex Gloves  (Read 5640 times)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
No Latex Gloves
« on: July 28, 2012, 01:06:31 PM »
I'm kind of pissed off because I just went to three different drug stores looking for latex gloves and they didn't have them. I use them to handle the feral cat's food bowls to prevent getting anything from them. Now all the stores are offering are the vinyl gloves which are NOT stretchy and much harder to put on and take off, and something called nitrile which is a lot more expensive.

Does anyone know if the government stuck its big fat ugly nose into this and made the drug stores stop carrying them? I wasn't able to find a news story about this right away.

I was told something about them being discontinued due to "allergies". Excuse me but I don't have a latex allergy so why should I not be able to buy them? What are they going to discontinue next? Peanut butter?

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: No Latex Gloves
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 01:23:29 PM »
I think that's unusual Ruby.  Try ordering them online from a place like drugstore.com or cvs.com.   They will be a lot cheaper too probably

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »
I think that's unusual Ruby.  Try ordering them online from a place like drugstore.com or cvs.com.   They will be a lot cheaper too probably

I went to two Walgreens and one CVS and the employees all told me they will no longer be carrying them due to "allergy concerns". What I don't get about that, is if someone has a latex allergy, why can't they use the vinyl or nitrile ones and leave the latex ones for people who don't have allergies? They've literally carried them for years and years and now they suddenly decide that customers with latex allergies are too stupid not to buy something they're allergic to so nobody else gets it either.

Last year I had a problem with a raccoon coming up and trying to eat out of the bowls (I've been more careful about feeding the cats at night trying not to leave the food out there very long since then) and it got its nasty saliva all over the bowls so I knew it wasn't safe to keep handling them with bare hands even though rabies in raccoons isn't very common in this particular area (it's more a problem with skunks and bats here). When it comes to a life threatening, incurable disease though there's no point in taking any risks with it.

Back when I had Eva (my ferret) she had giardia for a while and I had used them to keep from getting that parasite from her. They're really very useful for working with animals in general.

I went to Wal Mart a few days ago and they didn't have the latex gloves in the correct size. The grocery store had them last time I was there but I'm afraid they may be discontinuing them too.

There are places that sell them online but I'm concerned that they may stop selling them soon if all the pharmacies and Wal-mart seem to be discontinuing them.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »
I think you can get it cheaper through ebay or other websites.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cardinal-Health-CR100-Sterile-Latex-Cleanroom-Size-7-Gloves-2Y1626-Qty-1-PAIR-/290717103142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b016f426

I use Latex gloves when I need to clean my kitty's litter box and whenever I need to touch disgusting stuff or cleaning agents I don't wont on my skin. I prefer nitrile because it doesn't leave that latex odor and white powder that latex gloves leave which is hard to wash off. But it is indeed too expensive so I use latex. I haven't heard of vinyl gloves before, I am curious how they compare to the other two types.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »
I think you can get it cheaper through ebay or other websites.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cardinal-Health-CR100-Sterile-Latex-Cleanroom-Size-7-Gloves-2Y1626-Qty-1-PAIR-/290717103142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b016f426

I use Latex gloves when I need to clean my kitty's litter box and whenever I need to touch disgusting stuff or cleaning agents I don't wont on my skin. I prefer nitrile because it doesn't leave that latex odor and white powder that latex gloves leave which is hard to wash off. But it is indeed too expensive so I use latex. I haven't heard of vinyl gloves before, I am curious how they compare to the other two types.

Litterboxes and general cleaning are also good uses for them!

Vinyl gloves feel thinner, they are harder to get on and off and are not very stretchy. I really don't like them although I can use them if I have to. I'd much prefer latex gloves.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 02:36:42 PM »
Statistically, the vast majority of people who are exposed to latex continuously will develop an allergy, Rubystars. It is just one of those highly reactive proteins. Maybe things would be different if our immune systems were fighting infectious pathogens every moment of every day, like they are supposed to, but this is the sterilized West and they have to look for something to do in all that free time they have.

There may be government interference involved too but the allergy factor is a fact.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 02:45:19 PM »
Statistically, the vast majority of people who are exposed to latex continuously will develop an allergy, Rubystars. It is just one of those highly reactive proteins. Maybe things would be different if our immune systems were fighting infectious pathogens every moment of every day, like they are supposed to, but this is the sterilized West and they have to look for something to do in all that free time they have.

There may be government interference involved too but the allergy factor is a fact.

The only ones that have ever made my hands feel weird are the ones with the powder. I used to use them at a previous job when I would help clean (the store didn't have janitors, just a small staff so the sales associates did all the cleaning ourselves). For some reason the powder inside them clung to my hands and I felt like that made my hands a little uncomfortable, just an irritating sensation on my skin. The powder free ones have never caused any kind of reaction for me though. Maybe if I wore as frequently as many health care workers do then it would be more of an issue but if I just slip them on for a few seconds to pick up some dirty food plates or change the water or to change a litterbox and then slip them right back off and throw them into the trash then I feel that the risk is probably minimal.  If I did start getting sensitive to them then I could switch to an alternative product, but the latex gloves are better in my opinion because they're easy to get on and off, they are stretchy and they are thicker and feel safer than the thin vinyl ones.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 03:07:44 PM »
The problem with latex is that some people have sever allergy,  an allergic anaphylactic allergic reaction. I didn't know adults who don't have allergy are still at risk to develop such dangerous sensitivity.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 03:14:31 PM »
The problem with latex is that some people have sever allergy,  an allergic anaphylactic allergic reaction. I didn't know adults who don't have allergy are still at risk to develop such dangerous sensitivity.

They can if the gloves are used a lot. I just think people who have allergies should be the ones responsible for buying products to suit them. The rest of us shouldn't have to suffer because other people are allergic.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »
They can if the gloves are used a lot. I just think people who have allergies should be the ones responsible for buying products to suit them. The rest of us shouldn't have to suffer because other people are allergic.
If I had a business I might want to exclude this merchandise to avoid the risk of having either an employee or a customer touching this thing and getting a severe reaction. I am not sure the product is safe to be handles by sensitive people because it usually comes in a carton and anyone who touches the package likely comes into contact trace amounts of latex allergens.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 03:27:18 PM »
If I had a business I might want to exclude this merchandise to avoid the risk of having either an employee or a customer touching this thing and getting a severe reaction. I am not sure the product is safe to be handles by sensitive people because it usually comes in a carton and anyone who touches the package likely comes into contact trace amounts of latex allergens.

They carried these products for years and years and years. It's only today I found out that they were discontinuing the products at Walgreens and CVS. I don't know why this sudden decision was made.

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 04:15:55 PM »
After this decision, it can be assured that these so-called allergic gloves will be available in the third world for another 100 years.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 07:18:38 PM »
I don't think you need to be allergy-prone to develop a latex allergy over time. Most people will with enough exposure.

Offline Havok

• Full JTFer
  • You'll never get rid of me
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »
Walmart and Ace hardware sell those type of gloves if they are by you.
The moral of this story is that no matter how much we try, no matter how much we want it … some stories just don't have a happy ending.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 08:13:52 PM »
I believe the powder used to preserve the latex is what causes most of the problem not so much the latex itself.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Havok

• Full JTFer
  • You'll never get rid of me
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 08:15:57 PM »
I believe the powder used to preserve the latex is what causes most of the problem not so much the latex itself.
The powder used is a cornstarch powder.
The moral of this story is that no matter how much we try, no matter how much we want it … some stories just don't have a happy ending.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 12:07:48 AM »
The powder used is a cornstarch powder.

I think what's irritating to me in the powder is that it gets mixed with the latex particles and then clings to the skin for a long time unlike the gloves without powder which are just slipped on and off pretty quickly. I usually wash my hands right after taking the gloves off but it's hard to wash that powder off.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 12:44:32 AM »
Shalom Rubystars,

Does this seem funny to you?

That is what I think of latex gloves...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 09:40:41 AM »
You might also try Home Depot. I have purchased latex gloves there in the past.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 09:41:50 AM »
That is funny Muman! HiWarp thanks for the suggestion.