Author Topic: IDF Says ‘No’ to Meshichist ‘Yechi’ Yarmulkes  (Read 1589 times)

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
IDF Says ‘No’ to Meshichist ‘Yechi’ Yarmulkes
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:51:57 PM »
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/General+News/135885/IDF-Says-'No'-to-Meshichist-'Yechi'-Yarmulkes.html
Chabadnikim serving in the IDF who identify with the Meshichist element received a new guideline from the military today. They may no longer wear the so-called ‘Yechi’ yarmulkes that say יחי אדוננו מורנו ורבנו…’.

Chief of the Conduct & Discipline Unit Lt.-Colonel Oren Avraham issued the new order, Ladaat.net reports. The lt.-colonel explains that all yarmulkes with writing are not permitted and this will not be an exception.

He also issued a number of other regulations but they are not relevant to the chareidi soldier.
The new regulation was accepted by the chief of personnel, Major-General Orna Barvibai, and it permits any size yarmulke in any color, but without any and all writing.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: IDF Says ‘No’ to Meshichist ‘Yechi’ Yarmulkes
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 03:25:06 PM »
It makes sense to me to not have any writing on a kippah... But is this a first step to outlaw kippahs which don't fit the IDF's liking? I sure hope not...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 03:27:34 PM »
From some of the comments there it seems there may be anti-zionist leanings.... Is this true Edu? I never read 'yeshivaworld'...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 03:30:13 PM »
It makes sense to me to not have any writing on a kippah... But is this a first step to outlaw kippahs which don't fit the IDF's liking? I sure hope not...

They would not dare because they know the backlash. If they actually wanted to they would first start with propaganda against having kippot (its a minhag, etc. etc.) they have bigger things to destroy, having a kippa would not bother them.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 02:12:11 AM »
Quote from Muman613
From some of the comments there it seems there may be anti-zionist leanings.... Is this true Edu? I never read 'yeshivaworld'...
I rarely read yeshivaworld, but I get the impression it provides news from a Charedi perspective.
Since Charedis have mixed views on how to view zionism, you will also get in their comments sections a mixture of views.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 03:23:01 AM »

Nope.  Only mesichism getting outlawed.  Regular kippa is fine, they even allow any size or color.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 04:35:58 AM »
Nope.  Only mesichism getting outlawed.  Regular kippa is fine, they even allow any size or color.

Thats not what the article suggested. It seems that any kippa with writing or slogans is banned.