Author Topic: Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz : Talmud and Daf Yomi Scholar interviewed  (Read 3295 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz is famous for his ground-shaking translation of the Talmud Bavli. He has been working on a work of commentary on the Talmud in the form of Daf Yomi {Lesson for the day}. Arutz Sheva recently interviewed him about his work on the Talmud since the Daf Yomi cycle is coming to an end and starting again...

http://www.steinsaltz.org/Biography.php

Biography

Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz is a teacher, philosopher, social critic and prolific author who has been hailed by Time magazine as a "once-in-a-millennium scholar." His lifelong work in Jewish education earned him the Israel Prize, his country's highest honor.

Born in Jerusalem in 1937 to secular parents, Rabbi Steinsaltz studied physics and chemistry at the Hebrew University. He established several experimental schools and, at the age of 24, became Israel's youngest school principal.

In 1965, he began his monumental Hebrew translation and commentary on the Talmud. To date, he has published 45 of the anticipated 46 volumes and is due to publish the last book in the series in November, 2010. The Rabbi's classic work of Kabbalah, The Thirteen Petalled Rose, was first published in 1980 and now appears in eight languages. In all, Rabbi Steinsaltz has authored some 60 books and hundreds of articles on subjects ranging from zoology to theology to social commentary.

Continuing his work as a teacher and spiritual mentor, Rabbi Steinsaltz established a network of schools and educational institutions in Israel and the former Soviet Union. He has served as scholar in residence at the Woodrow Wilson Center for International Studies in Washington, D.C. and the Institute for Advanced Studies at Princeton University. His honorary degrees include doctorates from Yeshiva University, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Bar Ilan University, Brandeis University, and Florida International University.

Rabbi Steinsaltz lives in Jerusalem. He and his wife have three children and 15 grandchildren.

To view Rabbi Steinsaltz's full CV, click here.

http://www.steinsaltz.org/Daf_Yomi_Introduction.php
With 2,711 pages in the Talmud, each Daf Yomi study cycle takes about seven and a half years. On March 1, 2005, a much-celebrated ceremony known as the Siyum HaShas marked the 11th completion of the entire Talmud by Daf Yomi studiers around the world. The excitement surrounding the siyum has breathed new life into the study of Talmud for long-time yeshiva students and newcomers alike.

The Steinsaltz Daf Yomi series will, starting with the beginning of Masechet Eruvin (Friday, October 7, 2005), feature daily articles containing insights from the Steinsaltz Edition of the Talmud. This series is not designed to replace intensive Daf Yomi study, but rather to shed new light on one or two points raised on the daily daf. Rabbi Steinsaltz's daily articles can be studied either independently or side-by-side with the Talmud page.

Rabbi Steinsaltz's Daf Yomi insights are featured on the website of the Orthodox Union, the central coordinating agency for North American Orthodox congregations and kosher standardization, as well as here on our website.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz : Talmud and Daf Yomi Scholar interviewed
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:54:15 AM »
I got his Talmud Berachot. Its amazing. Great notes, and explanations. Also pictures as well.

Only ~$ 30 + you get $10 back (total less then $20 and all of Berachot is in 1 volume) if you send in the rebate before August 31 st. Soo if your planning to get it, get it quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/Koren-Talmud-Bavli-Vol-Tractate/dp/965301563X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343915433&sr=8-1&keywords=steinsaltz+talmud
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:52:44 PM »
http://www.korenpub.com/EN/categories/talmud

Can someone check out the IPAD APP. Let me know if it is good (if it is I might buy the IPAD as well). Also if you can view the price for the APP let me know b/c I don't have an Ipadd or one of those devices, soo I don't know how to view the price for it, soo if somone finds that out for me, i'd appreciate it).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 07:48:20 PM »
It would be nice if they provided the Talmud on the Android platform as well. I will never buy an iPad no matter what... Im an Apple hater at this point...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 08:22:12 PM »
Just in case, if I get a kindle would the file work on it? (if you or anyone knows).

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 03:19:58 AM »

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 09:26:37 AM »
Wow this looks fantastic.  Lots of explanation.

Yea, if you plan on getting it (the Berachot edition)  I suggest you do it quickly.
 Get it from here (the price is very low compared to stores and other sites).
 http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_8?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=steinsaltz+talmud&sprefix=steinzal%2Caps%2C185

Either the larger or the smaller one available. Theirs a small rebate form where you can get 10 bucks back as well. But you gotta do it before August 31st.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »
Yea, if you plan on getting it (the Berachot edition)  I suggest you do it quickly.
 Get it from here (the price is very low compared to stores and other sites).
 http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_8?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=steinsaltz+talmud&sprefix=steinzal%2Caps%2C185

Either the larger or the smaller one available. Theirs a small rebate form where you can get 10 bucks back as well. But you gotta do it before August 31st.

If only they had rashi and tosfos!  But that is also a weakness of artscroll.   I'm considering getting one of these tho.  Rabbi bar hayim has a series of shiurim on brachoth I've been meaning to go through, and Rabbi Triebitz on hashkafacircle.com also has an interesting series.  This gemara would help follow along.

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 11:38:23 AM »
If only they had rashi and tosfos!  But that is also a weakness of artscroll.   I'm considering getting one of these tho.  Rabbi bar hayim has a series of shiurim on brachoth I've been meaning to go through, and Rabbi Triebitz on hashkafacircle.com also has an interesting series.  This gemara would help follow along.

Yea, R' Bar Hayim's Berachot shiurim are very good (maybe a little difficult, but very good as well) He goes through the Bavli and Yerushalmi, then the Geonim, Rishonim etc. I listen to some of the shiurim as of now. I suggest listening at least a couple of times for each shiur till you absorb it well.