Author Topic: Tzitzit for women?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Tzitzit for women?
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
http://nocompromisemedia.com/2011/04/23/women-wearing-the-tzitzit/comment-page-1/#comment-12239

Pay attention to the comments. Last guy really seems to think rabbis are wrong, and girls should wear fringes. In my head, this has something to do with the beauty of women why they shouldn't. Why no tzitzit for the ladies?
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Tzitzit for women?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »
You know it's Shabbot, none of religious Jews are going to answer right now.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:50:49 PM »
You know it's Shabbot, none of religious Jews are going to answer right now.

I rest most of the week, so it evens itself out...

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 11:04:09 PM »
I rest most of the week, so it evens itself out...
No it does not! It is disrespectful to Hashem! If you are a Jew you should be proud, and follow the law! I wish I was a Jew, so people would leave me alone about my beliefs, I do have fun with Christians though!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 12:01:29 AM »
Women are not men!  This relates to the other post by Dan Ben Noah about 600 rabbis

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 12:26:43 AM »
No it does not! It is disrespectful to Hashem! If you are a Jew you should be proud, and follow the law! I wish I was a Jew, so people would leave me alone about my beliefs, I do have fun with Christians though!

Correct. Correctish. Maybe I should, but work a lot as I need money to save the world. I usually tell Christians I'm Christian and Jewish though, and I may have some "religious schizophrenia", but I've had much success marrying the two belief systems in my head as I learn them, and where they are incongruent I just say the New testament was changed. This may be going rather poorly for me, considering I don't talk to rabbis/pastors on either subject, but until then, I'm not really putting down anyone from either group without a good reason.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 12:45:11 AM »
Correct. Correctish. Maybe I should, but work a lot as I need money to save the world. I usually tell Christians I'm Christian and Jewish though, and I may have some "religious schizophrenia", but I've had much success marrying the two belief systems in my head as I learn them, and where they are incongruent I just say the New testament was changed. This may be going rather poorly for me, considering I don't talk to rabbis/pastors on either subject, but until then, I'm not really putting down anyone from either group without a good reason.
Nice! You do know that I know you have been copying me since I got here! Too bad you don't know what I really think!

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 01:13:04 AM »
Nice! You do know that I know you have been copying me since I got here! Too bad you don't know what I really think!

Dude... I've been saying that for years. Except I just had much less understanding of Judaism. I don't really know much about you, or how you tick, but do feel free to provide a testimony, and if you start growing on me, I'll tell you my name and how I'm going to make you money.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 06:02:36 AM »
Dude... I've been saying that for years. Except I just had much less understanding of Judaism. I don't really know much about you, or how you tick, but do feel free to provide a testimony, and if you start growing on me, I'll tell you my name and how I'm going to make you money.

1. provide testimony
2. start growing on LKZ
3. ??
4. Profit

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 06:13:12 AM »
:o What sort of testimony? I always say beware of Greeks( and most others ) bearing gifts  :P
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »
Yes, women may wear them if they want to, although they are not required to.  Only men are required to.  Here is a quote from the Mishneh Torah's laws on Tzitziot:

Women, servants, and minors are not required by the Torah to wear tzitzit. It is, however, a Rabbinical obligation for every child who knows how to dress himself to wear tzitzit in order to educate him to fulfill mitzvot.

Women and servants who wish to wrap themselves in tzitzit may do so without reciting a blessing. Similarly, regarding the other positive commandments which women are not required to fulfill, if they desire to fulfill them without reciting a blessing, they should not be prevented from doing so.

On a separate note, that site looks pretty shady.

Unfortunately, I fear that most women who wear Tzitzit wear them to make political statements that echo a sentiment of 'men do this and even though I am a woman, I am equal and therefore my doing it too is my right.'  This is a sentiment that obliterates the original purpose of wearing them.  Of course, I don't know what in each person's mind, but the kinds of sentiments I have heard from these women leads me to make the above assertion.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 03:07:09 AM »
Dude listen to that chick's radio shows on the side, it's what made me a conservative. I'm not going to back the religious perspectives there, but she brings some serious people there for politics.  The tzitzit thing ties into politics though, what lengths are feminists willing to go to to pretend there exactly the same as men?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 03:30:13 AM »
Yes, women may wear them if they want to, although they are not required to.  Only men are required to.  Here is a quote from the Mishneh Torah's laws on Tzitziot:

Women, servants, and minors are not required by the Torah to wear tzitzit. It is, however, a Rabbinical obligation for every child who knows how to dress himself to wear tzitzit in order to educate him to fulfill mitzvot.

Women and servants who wish to wrap themselves in tzitzit may do so without reciting a blessing. Similarly, regarding the other positive commandments which women are not required to fulfill, if they desire to fulfill them without reciting a blessing, they should not be prevented from doing so.

On a separate note, that site looks pretty shady.

The reason  that woman are not obligated is the same reason they are exempt from several other mitzvahs. Women in general are not obligated to any 'time-bound' mitzvah. Because tzit-tzits are supposed to be worn during the day, it is considered a time-bound mitzvah...

Here is was aish.com says about it:

http://www.aish.com/jl/m/mm/Tzitzit.html

Women and Tzitzit
Women have traditionally not worn Tzitzit. Here's why:
There are five mitzvot in the Torah that are "positive time-bound mitzvot." For example, waving a lulav is done during the time period of Sukkot. Tzitzit is also a time-bound mitzvah since the mitzvah applies only during the daytime (as implied by the verse "you shall see it" -- which excludes Tzitzit at night).53 As with all positive time-bound mitzvot, only men are required to perform this mitzvah.54 See Women and Mitzvot for more perspective on this.

LKZ, I ask you to please observe the Shabbat if indeed you are Jewish and you want to be a part of the mission of hastening the coming of Moshiach. It is a chillul Hashem for a Jew to publicly write {like on the forum} on Shabbat. While there are many prohibitions on Shabbat, is it so hard to avoid posting anything on Shabbat as a first step toward observance?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 03:33:36 AM »

LKZ, I ask you to please observe the Shabbat if indeed you are Jewish and you want to be a part of the mission of hastening the coming of Moshiach. It is a chillul Hashem for a Jew to publicly write {like on the forum} on Shabbat. While there are many prohibitions on Shabbat, is it so hard to avoid posting anything on Shabbat as a first step toward observance?

Alright bro, I'll try. Thanks for catching me on it.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 03:37:15 AM »
Alright bro, I'll try. Thanks for catching me on it.

Baruch Hashem :)

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14