Author Topic: some black kids started up with me today  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: some black kids started up with me today
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 07:35:35 PM »
It shouldn't be "be"? ha ha.. Yes, I see now..... blacks.......are , not blacks......is

Are you being sarcastic? My writing skills is the best, I know it aint got no mistakes, you be crazy.

JOKING....

Seriously, did I accidently write more than two sentences with only one grammatical mistake? Oh, and the writing style is called semi-literate!!

I don't know if you were joking or not but thank you. And in case you are joking it is OK, I am not arrogant and am well aware of my tendency to be unintentionally ridiculous.

Just having fun.  I really do like your writing style.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 09:20:56 PM »
You have a great writing style.   I think I caught one grammar mistake.   I actually wasn't looking for it.   ;D    "The number of blacks behaving in this manner is small compared to the decent respectful ones but still much larger than what I see with any other racial or ethnic group. " 

The verb is should be changed to are.
No. 'The number" is singular, whereas "a number" is plural. His mistake came in his first post where he said who's instead of whose.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 04:52:12 AM »
You have a great writing style.   I think I caught one grammar mistake.   I actually wasn't looking for it.   ;D    "The number of blacks behaving in this manner is small compared to the decent respectful ones but still much larger than what I see with any other racial or ethnic group. " 

The verb is should be changed to are.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the verb "is" is correct.  You would say, "The number is small", not "The number are small."  "Blacks" is not the subject of the sentence.  "Number" is the subject of the sentence.  "Number" is singular and, therefore, the verb used is correct.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:02:48 AM by IsraelForever »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 04:59:49 AM »
IsraelForever is correct. You have to look at the subject of the sentence.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 02:51:28 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the verb "is" is correct.  You would say, "The number is small", not "The number are small."  "Blacks" is not the subject of the sentence.  "Number" is the subject of the sentence.  "Number" is singular and, therefore, the verb used is correct.
I think I pointed out the non-error.