Author Topic: Jewish Prayer : Tefillah  (Read 28348 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Jewish Prayer : Tefillah
« on: October 16, 2012, 02:01:04 AM »
I hope to post some insights on Jewish prayer. Jewish prayer is said in an order, as written in the Siddur, and there is a wisdom for the way the prayers are arranged. The reason, the sages explain, that we are obligated to say three prayer services a day is because our three forefathers, our father Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob each had a set time for prayer. Abraham prayed first thing in the morning. Isaac would pray in the afternoon, while Jacob would pray in the early evening.

We also say three prayers a day, according to the sages, because at the time of the Holy Temple we would bring three sacrifices, one in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one in the early evening. Now that we have no House of Hashem to offer our Korbanot we can only bring our offering through our prayers.

Here are some videos on prayers, in no particular order...

Modeh Ani (I Gratefully Aknowledge)

This is the prayer we wake up to, it is a way of giving thanks for having our soul restored to us.

Amidah:

Here is the entire english translation of the 19 blessings which we say while standing before Hashem, making our requests to he who hears our prayers.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Jewish Prayer : Tefillah
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 02:08:49 AM »
Baruch Sheomar:

51.1: We say (1) "Baruch She'amar" before "Psukei D'Zimra" and "Yishtabach" after them.

MB 1: "Baruch She'amar" - This praise was fixed by the Men of the Great Assembly [the predecessor of the Great Sanhedrin and the Tanaitic period, composed of the greatest spiritual leaders of the people at the beginning of the second Temple period] by a tablet which fell from the heavens which they discovered to have this prayer written on it. And it has 87 words ["Paz": In Hebrew, numbers can be represented by letter combinations, as each letter has a certain numerical value, and the total number is the sum of the values of all the letters. 87 = Pe (80) + Zayin (7), pronounced 'Paz']. And its indicator ["Siman", memory-sign] is 'Rosho Ketem Paz' ["His head is fine gold", Song of Songs 5:11], i.e., the head [beginning] of the prayer is a blessing of 87 [Paz] words. Therefore, one should not detract or add to the 87 words. And it is proper to say "Baruch She'amar" standing, even if one prays alone [and not in a congregation]. And one should hold the 2 tzitziot [tassels of the talis] which are in front of him [When one properly wears the talis, 2 tassels are in front of him and 2 in back] when he recites "Baruch She'amar", and after he ends "Baruch She'amar" he should kiss them. The proper text of the prayer is "B'pheh 'Amo" [Bet - Pheh - Heh, and not "B'phi", Bet - Pheh - Yud] with a Segol ['eh' vowel, under the Pheh. However, the accepted Ashkenazi siddur reads "B'phi", although Hassidim and Sefaradim do say 'B'pheh".] [Also, the last word should be] "B'tishbahot" with a Hirik [short 'i' vowel]. [I don't know what alternate text he is disagreeing with. -- SB]
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 02:15:19 AM »

Yishtabach

Transliteration:

Yishtabach shim'cha la'ad mal'keinu, ha'E-l hamelech hagadol ve'hakadosh, bashamayim u'va'aretz. Ki lecha na'eh Ado-nai Elo-heinu ve'Elo-hei avoseinu, shir u'sh'vacha, halel ve'zimra, oze u'memshala, netzach g'dula u'g'vura, tehila ve'sif'eres, k'dusha u'malchus, b'rachos ve'hoda'os me'ata ve'ad o'lam. Baruch ata Ado-nai, E-l melech gadol batish'bachos, E-l ha'hoda'os, adon hanifla'os, habocher beh'shirei zimra, melech E-l chei ha'olamim.
Translation:

May your Name be praised forever - our King, the G-d, the great and holy King - in heaven and on earth. Because for You is fitting - O Hashem, our G-d, and the G-d of our forefathers - song and praise, lauding and hymns, power and dominition, triumph, greatness and strength, praise and splendor, holiness and sovereignty, blessings and thanksgivings from this time and forever. Blessed are You, Hashem, G-d, King exalted through praises, G-d of thanksgivings, Master of wonder, Who chooses musical songs of praise - King, G-d, Life-giver of the world.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 02:25:33 AM »
Mizmor David:

Transliteration:

Mizmor l'David,
Ado-n-oy ro-i lo echsar.
Bin-os desheh yarbitzeini
al mei m'nuchos y'nahaleini.

Nafshi y'shoveiv
yancheini v'ma-aglei tzedekl'ma-an sh'mo. Gam ki eileich b'gei tzalmaves
lo ira ra ki atah imadi
shivtcha umish-antecha
heimah y'nachamuni.

Ta-aroch l'fanai shulchan
neged tzor'rai.
Dishanta vashemen roshi
kosi r'vayah.
Ach tov vachesed yir-d'funi
kol y'mei cha-yay,
v'shavti b'veis Ado-n-oy
l'orech yamim.

Translation:

A Psalm of David.
The L-rd is my shepherd, I shall not want. He lays me down in green pastures, He leads me beside still waters.

He restores my soul. He leads me on the path of justice for His Name's sake. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me.
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in view of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil, my cup runs over.
May only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life.
May I live in the House of the L-rd forever.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 02:26:45 AM »
Some Halachas of Davening (Laws of prayer)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 12:01:59 AM »
Some videos on the Shema prayer:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 12:11:16 AM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 12:35:06 AM »

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:47:31 AM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 12:56:43 AM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 01:11:03 AM »
I like Rabbi Suttons presentations. Although the background sometimes becomes distracting if you are trying to concentrate on what he is saying... But otherwise listening to his talk is educational.

Here is the 1st part of his talk on the Amidah...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 02:01:11 AM »
The prayer of healing 'Misheberach'.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 02:17:12 AM »
An interesting clip of the Tefillot of the Breslevers in Uman from last years High Holidays.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 02:34:47 AM »
The prayer 'Refuah Shelema' (Complete Healing)...

One of the Psalms read for the benefit of the sick is Tehillim 104

Chapter 104

1. My soul, bless the Lord! Lord my G-d, You are greatly exalted; You have garbed Yourself with majesty and splendor. 2. You enwrap [Yourself] with light as with a garment; You spread the heavens as a curtain. 3. He roofs His heavens with water; He makes the clouds His chariot, He moves [them] on the wings of the wind. 4. He makes the winds His messengers, the blazing fire His servants. 5. He established the earth on its foundations, that it shall never falter. 6. The depths covered it as a garment; the waters stood above the mountains. 7. At Your exhortation they fled; at the sound of Your thunder they rushed away. 8. They ascended mountains, they flowed down valleys, to the place which You have assigned for them. 9. You set a boundary which they may not cross, so that they should not return to engulf the earth. 10. He sends forth springs into streams; they flow between the mountains. 11. They give drink to all the beasts of the field; the wild animals quench their thirst. 12. The birds of the heavens dwell beside them; they raise their voice from among the foliage. 13. He irrigates the mountains from His clouds above; the earth is satiated from the fruit of Your works. 14. He makes grass grow for the cattle, and vegetation requiring the labor of man to bring forth food from the earth; 15. and wine that gladdens man's heart, oil that makes the face shine, and bread that sustains man's heart. 16. The trees of the Lord drink their fill, the cedars of Lebanon which He planted, 17. wherein birds build their nests; the stork has her home in the cypress. 18. The high mountains are for the wild goats; the rocks are a refuge for the rabbits. 19. He made the moon to calculate the festivals; the sun knows its time of setting. 20. You bring on darkness and it is night, when all the beasts of the forest creep forth. 21. The young lions roar for prey, and seek their food from G-d. 22. When the sun rises, they return and lie down in their dens. 23. Then man goes out to his work, to his labor until evening. 24. How manifold are Your works, O Lord! You have made them all with wisdom; the earth is full of Your possessions. 25. This sea, vast and wide, where there are countless creeping creatures, living things small and great; 26. there ships travel, there is the Leviathan that You created to frolic therein. 27. They all look expectantly to You to give them their food at the proper time. 28. When You give it to them, they gather it; when You open Your hand, they are satiated with goodness. 29. When You conceal Your countenance, they are terrified; when You take back their spirit, they perish and return to their dust. 30. When You will send forth Your spirit they will be created anew, and You will renew the face of the earth. 31. May the glory of the Lord be forever; may the Lord find delight in His works. 32. He looks at the earth, and it trembles; He touches the mountains, and they smoke. 33. I will sing to the Lord with my soul; I will chant praise to my G-d with my [entire] being. 34. May my prayer be pleasant to Him; I will rejoice in the Lord. 35. May sinners cease from the earth, and the wicked be no more. Bless the Lord, O my soul! Praise the Lord!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 02:50:09 AM »
One of my favorite Tehillim from Shabbat davening is Tehillim 145:

Tehillim - Psalms - Chapter 145

1. A praise of David. I shall exalt You, my God the King, and I shall bless Your name forever and ever.
2. Every day I shall bless You, and I shall praise Your name forever and ever.
3. The Lord is great and very much praised, and His greatness cannot be searched.
4. Generation to generation will praise Your works, and they will recite Your mighty deeds.
5. Of the majesty of the glory of Your splendor and the words of Your wonders I shall speak.
6. And the strength of Your awesome deeds they will tell, and Your greatness I shall sing.
7. Of the remembrance of Your abundant goodness they will speak, and of Your righteousness they will sing.
8. The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and of great kindness.
9. The Lord is good to all, and His mercies are on all His works.
10. All Your works will thank You, O Lord, and Your pious ones will bless You.
11. They will tell the glory of Your kingdom, and they will speak of Your might.
12. To make known to the children of men His mighty deeds and the glory of the majesty of His kingdom.
13. Your kingdom is a kingdom of all times, and Your ruling is in every generation.
14. The Lord supports all those who fall and straightens all who are bent down.
15. Everyone's eyes look to You with hope, and You give them their food in its time.
16. You open Your hand and satisfy every living thing [with] its desire.
17. The Lord is righteous in all His ways and kind in all His deeds.
18. The Lord is near to all who call Him, to all who call Him with sincerity.
19. He does the will of those who fear Him, and He hears their cry and saves them.
20. The Lord guards all who love Him, and He destroys all the wicked.
21. My mouth will speak the praise of the Lord, and all flesh will bless His holy name forever and ever.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2012, 02:57:00 AM »
Im off to bed but I'll leave with a moving 'Avinu Malkeinu' (Our Father, Our King):

Avinu Malkeinu – Hewbrew Text and English Translation:

Avinu malkeinu sh’ma kolenu. Avinu malkeinu chatanu l’faneychaOur Father our King, hear our voice. Father our King, we have sinned before Thee

Avinu malkeinu chamol aleynu, Ve’al olaleynu vetapeinu
Our Father our King, have compassion for us, and also on our children

Avinu malkeinu Kaleh dever, vecherev vera’av mealeynu
Our Father our King, bring and end to pestilence, war and famine around us

Avinu malkeinu kaleh chol tsar Umastin mealeynu
Our Father our King, bring an end to all trouble and oppression around us.

Avinu malkeinu, Avinu malkeinu, Kat’veinu besefer chayim tovim
Our Father our King, Our Father our King, inscribe us in the book of life

Avinu malkeinu chadesh aleynu, Chadesh aleynu shanah tovah
Our Father our King, renew upon us, renew upon us a good year

Sh’ma kolenu, Sh’ma kolenu , Sh’ma kolenu
Hear our voice, hear our voice, hear our voice

Avinu malkeinu, Avinu malkeinu, Chadesh aleynu shanah tovah
Our Father our King, Our Father our King, renew upon us a good year

Avinu malkeinu, Sh’ma kolenu, Sh’ma kolenu, Sh’ma kolenu
Our Father our King, hear our voice, hear our voice, hear our voice

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 12:48:46 AM »
Some more video and thoughts on Jewish prayer (davening)...

Here is the intro to a new JEM release called 'Davening with the Rebbe'...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 12:50:28 AM »
A Breslever Chassid davening...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 12:58:26 AM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 01:03:31 AM »
Some more scenes of Chassidic Jews davening..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 01:10:15 AM »
More Davening with the Lubavitcher Rebbe....

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 01:18:06 AM »
Thoughts about Jewish davening/prayer...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 01:24:30 AM »
More thoughts about where a Jew should be looking when he is davening. As the Chabad Rebbe said, according to Jewish Law a person should look only at the words in the siddur...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 01:30:17 AM »
A Naaleh Rabbi explains about the responses to the prayers....

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 01:39:25 AM »
It is hard for me to daven Minchah except for on Yom Tovim (Holidays and Shabbat) because I have to work pretty much through the afternoon. Sometimes I bring my Tefillin and daven near where I work but it is a big hassle. I hope someday to be able to daven Minchah more...