Author Topic: The first of Many  (Read 390 times)

Offline BritishSword

• Pro JTFer
    • Lawful Rebellion
The first of Many
« on: November 08, 2012, 07:32:18 AM »
A second storm has battered the northeast coast of the United States adding to the misery felt by many after superstorm Sandy.

Heavy snow and strong winds have hit parts of New York and New Jersey, which brought down power lines and caused traffic delays.

New York mayor Michael Bloomberg said a number of care facilities and nursing homes were evacuated in areas hardest hit by Sandy.

But he insisted he was not recommending a mass evacuation following the latest bad weather.

"We haven't and won't order the kind of large-scale evacuation that we did in advance of Hurricane Sandy but, if you experienced significant flooding during Sandy, then you should consider taking shelter with friends and family at a safer spot or using one of the city's storm shelters," he said.

But communities hit by superstorm Sandy struggled amid the bad weather.

In Staten Island, one of the areas most affected, the task of clearing up debris was made more difficult and a government aid station was forced to close.

Hundreds of residents, displaced last week, had to spend last night in shelters run by state officials.

Lorraine Orobello left her home in the middle of the storm because she had run out of food.

The 54-year-old said she had been turned away from the federal food station and had turned to another aid centre for help.

She said: "It's hard. All I want is some soup or a peanut butter sandwich.

"I shouldn't be coming out in this weather but I have nothing back home - just a few tins of tuna and a small heater to keep warm.

"But I'm an American, you know, we get on with things. We'll get through this."

Major airlines cancelled flights in and out of the New York City area ahead of the storm. Sandy last week led to more than 20,000 flight cancellations.

New York City has also closed all parks, playgrounds and beaches and ordered all construction sites to be secured.

More than 600,000 businesses and homes are still without power due to Sandy and at least 120 people have been killed in the US and Canada.

Around \$32m (£20m) has been raised so far to help victims after around 10,000 donations came in from across the US.

Sandy started as a hurricane and killed dozens of people in the Caribbean.
I'm British. I'm Sharp.  I'm Deadly.
I am BritishSword

6a55022f0e321cd66b22318630573230965751cf

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
Re: The first of Many
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 07:35:16 AM »
Indeed this is the work of God.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: The first of Many
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:50:38 AM »
Honestly speaking I don't believe in the past few storms being retribution for Americas so called transgressions... Retribution is coming more in the form of bad government and a population that at some point will turn on itself... The sad thing is that this picture is coming for a good part of the worlds population... The storm last night was indeed as bad as the one we had a few days ago... Here in my case all the sick trees that could fall fell in the prior storm so aside from the high wind and rain it did not cause me much additional problems... I also think the wind direction and tides were not the same as they were in the prior storm so flooding may not be as bad as they were last week... We have had many storms like this in the past its part of the weather picture here on the east coast... We have been very lucky for the past 20 years as far as storms like this go... That fact may have made the situation worse as far as tree damage goes because trees had time to get tall and spindly making them more prone to wind damage.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years