Author Topic: Chuck Norris rips college presidents for suggesting lower drinking age  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Rational Jew

• Pro JTFer
It's an old article, but I was just wondering to know your opinion on this whole 'drinking age' issue. 

http://mobile.wnd.com/2008/08/73274/

Last week 100 plus college presidents (including some from the most prestigious universities) recommended that the U.S. lower the drinking age to 18. Their reasoning? They say dropping the legal age will lessen the appeal and underground culture of college drinking. They believe it will also reduce binge drinking and prompt 18 to 20-year-olds to be more moderate in their alcohol consumption. Are they joking?! Do they also suppose that fraternity parties will turn into tea-sipping study sessions?

Leading the pack with this so-called Amethyst Initiative is John McCardell, who challenged Vermont in 2005 by saying in the New York Times, “The 21-year-old drinking age is bad social policy and terrible law.” McCardell recently added,“All the data show that by the time [students] go to college they have already experienced alcohol, so how can anyone say the law is working?” So is the remedy lowering the drinking age to accommodate juvenile jugging? Do we really think giving young people, who are anxious to experience life outside the boundaries and rules of home, the right to drink will aid their and society’s progress?

For the record, the drinking age was established at 21 years of age in 1933 after Prohibition. In 1971, when the voting age was lowered from 21 to 18, several states reduced the drinking age too. In 1984, however, with the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984, all U.S. states were required to return the drinking age to 21. Ever since, alcohol-related fatalities have dropped 56 percent (except for a spike over the last decade). And now 100 college presidents want to raise those lethal statistics even further? As it is, according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, 1,700 college students die annually in alcohol-related deaths, not including the victims also killed in those incidents.

No surprise that organized opposition to dropping the legal drinking age is rising up all over the country, like from the International Association of Chiefs of Police and Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD). Jeffrey Levy, who sits on the board of directors for MADD, and has suffered through the death of his own 20-year-old son from an alcohol-related car accident, responded, “We think their first concern should be the health, welfare and safety of the students, and it certainly isn’t. Their facts are terribly wrong. They want to take themselves off the hook. If they change the law, it’s not their problem.”

As if America’s universities don’t have enough problems already that their administrative leaders want to compound them by adding more alcohol consumption to the mix? Personally, I think parents, students and citizens across this land should find out if their local college president belongs to this “gang of 100,” and play “100 more bottles of beer on the campus” by petitioning and voting them out one by one!

We must do and believe better for the Millennial generation – those ages 18 to 29 – than to merely increase their legalization to guzzle gin or beer bong. On the contrary, we must equip them to positively change our country and world, not restrict them by enabling their illicit behaviors. Empowering the younger generation is why I committed an entire chapter to them in my new (Sept. 7 release) book, “Black Belt Patriotism.” (I guarantee that one answer you won’t find in it to reawaken America is lowering the drinking age!)

Here’s a first-seen small glimpse from the chapter titled, “Calling all Millennials!”

It’s easy to criticize the inadequacies of young people. It’s far more difficult to invest in kids, but much more rewarding. It’s even much harder to tell them, “We need you to help us reawaken America and rebuild what our Founding Fathers started.” But that’s exactly what we, the Builder and Baby-Boomer generations, need to say to them. If you’re a Millennial, consider this an invitation. We need your help. I need your help to join me and millions of others in a revolution (or, if you will, a rebelution), not to abandon the principles of the past but combine them together with social action in the present to build a better tomorrow. In other words, it’s time to make some noise!

It all starts by being willing to make a difference, and finding a way to help, whether it’s socially, politically, financially, or by volunteering in your community, church, school, or government. You might have a calling to be a county supervisor, state congressman, or U.S. Representative. Don’t reject any option as impossible. Your help might be planned or it might be spontaneous. But you need to be ready, in season or out of season, for whatever your calling might be.

It sounds kind of canned, but I truly believe that there is a hero in all of us. We all were designed by God to be a blessing to others – a champion to someone. And our kids today need champions. They need heroes. And don’t think you can’t be that hero. You might not be called upon to save someone’s life. But all of us can make a difference for the better in someone’s life. You might teach them a skill that will enrich their lives. You might remind them of who they are (a child of God) and what they can offer (love and understanding). Every one of them needs to know someone loves them, someone cares for them, God has a plan and purpose for their life, and their life is the most priceless thing on this planet. …

If we’re going to win the culture war, we need the Millennials to do it. There is no way around it. We need to reengage with our young people and plug them into America’s glorious past so they can build a brighter future.
Jew or Gentile, Black or White - Against Islam we must unite!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Chuck Norris rips college presidents for suggesting lower drinking age
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:16:30 PM »
I don't know anymore... When I was growing up they kept on RAISING the drinking age.... I believe it was 17 in CT at some time, and as I was about to turn 17 they raised it to 18.... Then when I was about to turn 18 they raised it to 19....When I was 19 i moved to CA where the age was 21.... But the drinking age was not an issue to me. I had my big drinking time when I was between 17-20 and since then I have completely quit alcohol {except for the Kiddush wine on Shabbat}...

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/rpt/2005-r-0497.htm

SUMMARY

Connecticut raised the drinking age from 18 to 21 in three steps taken in 1982, 1983, and 1985. In 1982, the arguments for raising it were all related to youthful alcohol consumption and the resultant problems. Many speakers discussed the relatively high number of alcohol-related traffic accidents and fatalities among youths. Some cited statistics from studies conducted in other states, which had increased the drinking age, that showed that there had been a reduction in the number of alcohol-related deaths among youths. Other speakers discussed the presence of alcohol in high schools and the need to make it less accessible. Some speakers stressed the need to reduce youthful consumption of alcohol and other harmful substances.

As this shows, in 1982 they raised it to 17 {I was 16}.... In 1983 they raised it to 18 {I was 17}... I moved to CA in 1984 at age 18 where the age was 21...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 02:30:32 PM »
Here in Israel the drinking age is 18,so what's the issue?

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »
Yeah, because raising the drinking age or making drinking illegal altogether will really stop someone who wants to drink from drinking.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:42:32 PM »
Here in Israel the drinking age is 18,so what's the issue?
Goyim have a weakness to the spirits, we Jews are much less afflicted by alcoholism.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 03:04:48 PM »
Goyim have a weakness to the spirits, we Jews are much less afflicted by alcoholism.
So you think there are tons of drunks here.
Rabin was a shikor!

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 03:16:33 PM »
So you think there are tons of drunks here.
Rabin was a shikor!
Very very few religious Jews suffer from alcoholism and even in secular Jews it is not as common as it is among the gentiles. And I postulate that the more assimilated the Jew, the more likely he is to be a drunkard.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 03:24:23 PM »
Very very few religious Jews suffer from alcoholism and even in secular Jews it is not as common as it is among the gentiles. And I postulate that the more assimilated the Jew, the more likely he is to be a drunkard.
Very few but it does exist.
I have a neighbor with a shreimel & payos that goes to AA.
He told me in cofidence as he trusts me & would never break his confidence

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »
Very few but it does exist.
I have a neighbor with a shreimel & payos that goes to AA.
He told me in cofidence as he trusts me & would never break his confidence

What kind of joke is this? You are committing Lashon Hara, and you seem to take it lightly... You break the confidence of a Jew and shame him.. Although we don't know who he is, it may be possible for someone who knows you to figure out who he is... I think some things you post are pretty questionable..

Remind me to never tell you anything in confidence, as you are sure to repeat it somewhere...

'Chabad'Kahanist.... I have some more advice for you. Talmid Chocham always give attribution to whom they quote. It is a sign of a Torah Scholar to always say things in the name of the Rebbe he learned things from. In another thread you stated that a supposed Chabad Rabbi said something concerning the races... But you did not even state where you read this or heard it from, and you even say it may not have been the Rabbi who said that.... That was just hearsay.... I did not take it as a fact because you so obviously did not mention the source of your quote...

You could have made your point without mentioning some case...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 03:36:03 PM »
http://www.torah.org/learning/pirkei-avos/chapter6-648b.html

"Torah is greater than priesthood and kingship, for kingship is acquired with 30 qualities, priesthood is acquired with 24, whereas the Torah is acquired with 48 ways. These are: ... (48) saying a statement in the name of the one who said it. For we have learned that anyone who says a statement in the name of the one who said it brings redemption to the world, as the verse says, 'And Esther said to the King in the name of Mordechai' (Esther 2:22)."

This week's quality is the final of the 48 Ways. The meaning is that one must properly attribute the teachings he has learned from others. He must cite the correct source of everything he quotes, not taking undue credit for himself. This seems to follow the theme of the previous quality -- "precisely quoting what one has heard." There the focus was more on the content of the quote -- accurately quoting what one has learned from parents and teachers and passing it along to the next generation. Here, however, the stress is on personal humility and intellectual honesty. Besides preserving our tradition, we must be selfless about it, giving credit where it is due -- to our own teachers who selflessly passed the Torah along to us.

The twin themes which emerge are equally critical. Our Torah must be authentic. Yet It must not only be accurate. It must be pristine as well -- free from the selfishness and smallness which so often corrupt the noble efforts of man. In a way the Torah is our own possession, and as we discussed last week, each Jew relates to it in his or her own unique way -- finding his or her own personal fulfillment. Yet at the same time, we see the Torah as our precious and sacred charge, one we must safeguard and preserve to the letter. We must never allow personal preferences or foreign influences to enter our relationship with or understanding of the Torah. Thus, the Sages exhort us to accurately and selflessly study, faithfully maintaining all that was handed to us, so that the Torah in all its purity and sanctity be preserved for all future generations.

Our mishna seems to place a much greater stress on this quality than all of the previous. Not only is this the final of the 48 Ways, but the previous qualities were all simply listed. Here our mishna states that saying a statement in the name of the one who said it brings about redemption, and a verse is brought to prove this. I guess we might expect the final quality to somehow be above and beyond all the others, perhaps the culmination of all which preceded it. Yet this quality does not really seem so qualitatively different from all the other worthy traits. As we pointed out, it was hardly different from Way 47. It seems kind of an "ordinary" good quality. How do the Sages see such significance in it -- almost the ultimate significance -- claiming that it brings about redemption?

Further, the significance of the quoted verse, from the Book of Esther, is to say the least difficult to understand. Let us look at the verse in context and attempt to understand it better.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 03:36:22 PM »
What kind of joke is this? You are committing Lashon Hara, and you seem to take it lightly... You break the confidence of a Jew and shame him.. Although we don't know who he is, it may be possible for someone who knows you to figure out who he is... I think some things you post are pretty questionable..

Remind me to never tell you anything in confidence, as you are sure to repeat it somewhere...

You could have made your point without mentioning some case...
It is not laashon hara nor did I violate his confidence because I did not say who it was.
There are thousands of people who fit this description & it could be anyone.
Do yourself a favor & learn the halachot of lashon hara.
What is questionable I post only facts.
As for what I quoted about schvarters this I heard when I was bochur in yeshiva from some of the older bochurim this was almost 40 years ago.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:47:13 PM by ChabadKahanist »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 03:40:27 PM »
It is not laashon hara nor did I violate his confidence because I did not say who it was.
There are thousands of people who fit this description & it could be anyone.
Do yourself a favor & learn the halachot of lashon hara.
What is questionable I post only facts.

Excuse me... I have studied the laws of Lashon Hara and I said this to you in full knowledge of what I know.

As I said, because we don't actually know him it is not an obvious case of Lashon Hara... But as I mentioned it may be possible for people who know you and know him to figure out who your are talking about. I kindly suggest you try to think about what you are doing before an audience who you don't know, both Jew and gentile...

Facts are backed up with quotations and verses... Not by your opinion.

PS: By the laws of Lashon Hara you are forbidden to say things which demean yourself. By stating that you gave your word to a Jew and he told you something in confidence, then you go and blab it on the internet, that counts as Lashon Hara against yourself...

Torah Org has a great Lashon hara page which explain the Halachot : http://www.torah.org/learning/halashon/chapter1.html#Methods

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »
PS: By the laws of Lashon Hara you are forbidden to say things which demean yourself. By stating that you gave your word to a Jew and he told you something in confidence, then you go and blab it on the internet, that counts as Lashon Hara against yourself...

Not so because nobody on here could possibly know him & if I though so I would not make such a statement.
If I thought there was even a remote possibilty I would not have said a word,being that is the case I did no wrong nor did I violate anybody's confidence

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »
...they have this song
What's that supposed to mean?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »

Not so because nobody on here could possibly know him & if I though so I would not make such a statement.
If I thought there was even a remote possibilty I would not have said a word,being that is the case I did no wrong nor did I violate anybody's confidence

Ok, in this case you are correct. But in the more generic sense you should feel that since he entrusted this information with you that you should not be so enthusiastic to share it. I know what you are saying and I myself have said things which can be seen as Lashon Hara.

I do not want to oppose you, I want to work with you so we can make the entire Am Yisroel better...

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 03:57:44 PM »
Ok, in this case you are correct. But in the more generic sense you should feel that since he entrusted this information with you that you should not be so enthusiastic to share it. I know what you are saying and I myself have said things which can be seen as Lashon Hara.

I do not want to oppose you, I want to work with you so we can make the entire Am Yisroel better...

You have a point & I tend to be overzealous at times even at my age.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 09:21:23 PM »
It's a really good drinking song, try it.
Whatever you were making fun of hillbillies. You can't resist starting fights with me, can you?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 12:58:41 AM »
Ok, enough of this serious stuff.... Now for a little 'CHUCK NORRIS' humor...

Chuck Norris does not wear a condom. Because there is no such thing as protection from Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris will never have a heart attack. His heart isn't nearly foolish enough to attack him.

Chuck Norris can set ants on fire with a magnifying glass. At night.

When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life there.

Chuck Norris can do a roundhouse kick faster than the speed of light. This means that if you turn on a light switch, you will be dead before the lightbulb turns on.

When taking the SAT, write "Chuck Norris" for every answer. You will score over 8000.

Chuck Norris sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 06:43:42 PM »
One reason why people in the USA might need a higher drinking age than Israel does is that a lot of young people in the USA are very immature for their age. If the statistics show that a higher drinking age causes fewer deaths then I think it should remain at 21.

This thread reminds me of this:

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 11:44:21 PM »
What's the problem? These college professors just want to produce more presidents.
Smoke, drink, skip class, hate honkey, become president.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774