Author Topic: Sci-Fi Fans : Getting back into BSG (Battlestar Galactica)  (Read 485 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Sci-Fi Fans : Getting back into BSG (Battlestar Galactica)
« on: November 15, 2012, 02:28:48 AM »
As some may know I do not watch broadcast TV. But I do find interesting clips and videos on some of my favorite shows from when I used to watch. When I was a kid in the 1970-1980s one of my favorite shows was Battlestar Galactica. As most shows at that time the 'special effects' consisted of trick-photography using miniature models and camera lenses, and cell-animation added in post-production. This was the way the 1st Star Wars was made also.

Nowadays virtually all Science Fiction uses CG (Computer Graphics). Among my favorite 80s movies which used CG was the Disney produced TRON, it utilized some of the earliest computer graphics rendering....

In the 90s I wrote software for a company which developed (and I wrote the bulk of) network software for the Commodore Amiga personal computer. This computer was unlike the PC we have today, it included special hardware which permitted it do do extraordinary graphics (for the 90s standards). There was a product called the 'Video Toaster' which included 3D rendering software called LightWave. It turns out, to make a long story short, that the video toaster was used by a video production company which rendered the CG for the TV show Babylon 5...

Here is the intro for the show:

Anyway, here is a moving video of Battlestar Galactica

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Sci-Fi Fans : Getting back into BSG (Battlestar Galactica)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 03:31:21 AM »
I watched the BSG remake, are you aware they made a remake to it ? Anyway it was mostly a nice sci-fi show but it got worse and worse and the final episode is moronic.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 03:43:12 AM »
I watched the BSG remake, are you aware they made a remake to it ? Anyway it was mostly a nice sci-fi show but it got worse and worse and the final episode is moronic.

Yes there was bsg then bsg 1980 then another remake on scifi, and there seems to be another...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 11:23:10 PM »
Just saw the latest of the online Battlestar Galactica preview of the new SciFy series.... I really think that the CG is incredible..

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 11:29:41 PM »
If anyone on this forum speaks clingon, I'm out forever.

Hem tlhIngan Segh 'ej maHemtaH 'e' wIHech.