Author Topic: B'Nai Jeshrun "Synagogue" applauds U.N. resolution  (Read 844 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
B'Nai Jeshrun "Synagogue" applauds U.N. resolution
« on: December 05, 2012, 07:29:35 AM »
 B'nai Jeshurun Hails Palestinian Statehood Vote
New York Synagogue Sends E-Mail to Celebrate Move
By JTA
Published December 04, 2012.

Print
    Email
    Share Share

The leaders of a prominent New York City synagogue sent out an email to congregants praising the U.N. vote that elevated the Palestinians to non-member state status.

“The vote at the U.N. yesterday is a great moment for us as citizens of the world,” said the email, signed by the B’nai Jeshurun’s three rabbis, cantor, board of directors and executive director. “This is an opportunity to celebrate the process that allows a nation to come forward and ask for recognition. Having gained independence ourselves in this way, we are especially conscious of this.”

The email was sent Friday, the day after the Thursday’s U.N. vote. The New York Times, which first reported the email on Tuesday, said that it elicited “shock” from some members and was welcomed by others.

B’nai Jeshurun, on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, is a large synagogue known for its liberal politics and lively, music-infused services. It is not formally affiliated with any religious movement.

The email expressed hope that the U.N. vote would advance prospects for peace between Israel and the Palestinians.

“As Jews deeply committed to the security and democracy of Israel, and in light of the violence this past month in Gaza and Israel, we hope that November 29, 2012 will mark the moment that brought about a needed sense of dignity and purpose to the Palestinian people, led to a cessation of violence and hastened the two state solution,” the signatories wrote.

The Forward welcomes reader comments in order to promote thoughtful discussion on issues of importance to the Jewish community. In the interest of maintaining a civil forum, the Forward requires that all commenters be appropriately respectful toward our writers, other commenters and the subjects of the articles. Vigorous debate and reasoned critique are welcome; name-calling and personal invective are not. While we generally do not seek to edit or actively moderate comments, the Forward reserves the right to remove comments for

Read more: http://forward.com/articles/167239/bnai-jeshurun-hails-palestinian-statehood-vote/#ixzz2EBDjy0tR
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:40:29 PM by Chaim Ben Pesach »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline JTFenthusiast

• Full JTFer
Re: B'Nai Jeshrun Synagogue of Satan applauds U.N. resolution
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 10:12:05 AM »
I have been to this synagogue and basically I will never go there again, especially after this.  Let me tell you a few things about this place of worship: it is a pick up joint where anything flies.  I mean you can't worship without being scoped, checked out, stared down, and objectified.I went there a few times and I felt that holes were being burned into me by people's stares.  I don't mean that arrogantly.  This was happening all over the place.  It feels more like a pick up bar than a shul.  Even the older people are getting in on it, getting off on living vicariously through youth that know no better.  For someone who is shy and wants to be left alone for the most part, you will find yourself squirming in your chair, wanting to get away from a number of people.  Synagogue should not be a place where you feel like you are being checked out like you were in a meat market.  Because of all of this bar room sexual energy, it's very difficult to concentrate on their very boring sermons.  Also, they have a female rabbi and she and one of the male rabbis are at the Bima (stage like platform), reciting an interpretation of the Bible that has never ceased to amaze me

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 10:52:41 AM »
Let me add a few things as well. 

One of my older sisters is married to an Ashkenazic Jew.  He has an older brother who is a prominent NY physician, and who is still on the Board of that place.   His IQ is in the stratosphere, and he's a liberal.  His son, who also has a stratospheric IQ is one of Obama's speech writers.   This past April during the Seder at my sister's house, they were saying that Israel has become too "right wing" and that the fakestinians are oppressed.  Also, the mother is a very prominent lawyer and of course liberal as well.  She was also on their board at one point. 

But I agree that it's a pickup place.  But that's not all.

In my younger days, I used to go there on occasion because people kept telling me how it's a good place to meet people (as in potential boyfriends/husbands, etc.).  I remember one time reading their schedule of events on their website.  One of them was where they invited a fakestinian man for a bongo drum banging session. 

Then, there was one Friday night shortly after 9/11/01, when I decided to go there, since I wasn't doing anything.  And guess what the cantor led everyone in the audience to sing...

It was the song "We Shall Overcome!"

I mean, come on.  I would think there would be plenty of Jewish prayers wishing for our enemies to be destroyed.  But NOOOO!  Everyone in the audience was singing, while they put their arms around each other and swayed side to side.  That was the last time I ever stepped foot in that place. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:04 AM »
Ich... yuck... ewwwwww....

That place sounds downright disgusting. Baruch Hashem I dont know such rabid self hating jews who enjoy subjugating themselves in galut. These people are lost souls.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 09:04:40 PM »
B'nai Jeshurun Hails Palestinian Statehood Vote
New York Synagogue Sends E-Mail to Celebrate Move
By JTA
Published December 04, 2012.

Print
    Email
    Share Share

The leaders of a prominent New York City synagogue sent out an email to congregants praising the U.N. vote that elevated the Palestinians to non-member state status.

“The vote at the U.N. yesterday is a great moment for us as citizens of the world,” said the email, signed by the B’nai Jeshurun’s three rabbis, cantor, board of directors and executive director. “This is an opportunity to celebrate the process that allows a nation to come forward and ask for recognition. Having gained independence ourselves in this way, we are especially conscious of this.”

The email was sent Friday, the day after the Thursday’s U.N. vote. The New York Times, which first reported the email on Tuesday, said that it elicited “shock” from some members and was welcomed by others.

B’nai Jeshurun, on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, is a large synagogue known for its liberal politics and lively, music-infused services. It is not formally affiliated with any religious movement.

The email expressed hope that the U.N. vote would advance prospects for peace between Israel and the Palestinians.

“As Jews deeply committed to the security and democracy of Israel, and in light of the violence this past month in Gaza and Israel, we hope that November 29, 2012 will mark the moment that brought about a needed sense of dignity and purpose to the Palestinian people, led to a cessation of violence and hastened the two state solution,” the signatories wrote.

The Forward welcomes reader comments in order to promote thoughtful discussion on issues of importance to the Jewish community. In the interest of maintaining a civil forum, the Forward requires that all commenters be appropriately respectful toward our writers, other commenters and the subjects of the articles. Vigorous debate and reasoned critique are welcome; name-calling and personal invective are not. While we generally do not seek to edit or actively moderate comments, the Forward reserves the right to remove comments for

Read more: http://forward.com/articles/167239/bnai-jeshurun-hails-palestinian-statehood-vote/#ixzz2EBDjy0tR

Mord.... they still wont let me comment......

:laugh:
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates

Offline Dan193

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:32:49 PM »
This story was on the front page of the NY Times.
More into the NY Times anti Israel obsession.
Meanwhile 2 million dead in the Congo and lets see, nothing in the NY Times about that.
When millions of Jews were being murdered in WW2 by the Nazis, the NY Times puposely hid that story.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:17:36 PM »
Is this the Park Street Mosque?

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 03:24:57 AM »
                                                                                                                                      :usa+israel:
                                                                                                                                                 :fist:

Meshuganas!

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 06:44:25 AM »
Mord.... they still wont let me comment......

:laugh:
Seriously  :o
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03