Author Topic: What is the full Y'mach Sh'mo?  (Read 2888 times)

Offline NoMosqueHere

• Master JTFer
What is the full Y'mach Sh'mo?
« on: January 22, 2013, 03:51:40 PM »
What is the full Y'mach Sh'mo expression.......? 

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: What is the full Y'mach Sh'mo?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 04:44:32 PM »
Yimach shemo vezichro, shem reshayim yirkav. May the name of the wicked be extinguished, may the name of the wicked rot.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 04:48:48 PM »
Until JTF the Yemach Shemo was a curse which was reserved for the worst of the worst, specifically for Amalek. It was not used as a general curse for people we don't agree with or don't like. Sometimes I think this curse is over-used by non-Jews who don't have the commandment of blotting out Amalek (from which this curse is derived). But since Chaim has used it liberally I understand some gentiles may think it is a common curse...

Yes, whenever a Tzadik's name is mentioned the words Zecher Tzadik L'Vracha" should be added, to bless his/her soul, and whenever a Rasha's name is mentioned the words "Shem R'shaim Yirkav or Yemach shemo" should be mentioned. This is based on a Posuk in Mishlei Perek 10:7. See Rashi there. See also Gemara Yoma 38b.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 04:49:58 PM »
Until JTF the Yemach Shemo was a curse which was reserved for the worst of the worst, specifically for Amalek. It was not used as a general curse for people we don't agree with or don't like. Sometimes I think this curse is over-used by non-Jews who don't have the commandment of blotting out Amalek (from which this curse is derived). But since Chaim has used it liberally I understand some gentiles may think it is a common curse...
Gee, that unity was sure short-lived...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:51:02 PM »
Gee, that unity was sure short-lived...

What are you talking about? I cannot make a comment about the use of the curse Yemach Shemo without upsetting you?

I clearly said that I am not upset about its use here at JTF as it has become more casual in its usage...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »
Some sages do not think that a Jew should use this curse against another Jew according to Rabbi Yosef Chaim (and others)...

See also :

http://www.shemayisrael.com/parsha/peninim/archives/achrei64.htm

He never failed to censure those who profaned Hashem's Name. Yet, he would not hesitate to criticize those who referred to them in inappropriate terms. When someone added the imprecation yemach shemo, may his name be obliterated, to the mention of a certain Jew who was probably the religious community's most virulent enemy, Rav Yosef Chaim protested, saying, "I am not in the habit of saying yemach shemo about any Jew." He explained that he derived this from the laws of Yibum, levirate marriage. According to Jewish law, if such a Jew were to die childless, his widow would not be allowed to remarry unless she either underwent Yibum or Chalitzah, release from her Yibum requirement. Since the Torah's stated rationale for Yibum is that the deceased "name not be obliterated from Yisrael," regardless of his religious beliefs, how can we say yemach shemo about any Jew?

All I am saying is that the person who it is directed to must really be a Rasha (Wicked one) not just a person who has sinned, or a person who does not keep the laws as we do. It literally means 'May the name and memory of the person be erased"... We are commanded to BLOT OUT the name of Amalek which is why Amalek is the source of the Yemach Shemo curse...

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:55:01 PM »
Some sages do not think that a Jew should use this curse against another Jew according to Rabbi Yosef Chaim (and others)...

See also :

http://www.shemayisrael.com/parsha/peninim/archives/achrei64.htm
If you disagree with Chaim on everything, why are you at JTF?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 04:56:27 PM »
If you disagree with Chaim on everything, why are you at JTF?

I don't disagree with Chaim. But as you are aware Chaim has said he reserves this curse for the very wicked. I have heard the questions when you ask him to say Yemach Shemo about certain people, he doesn't do it and explains why he doesn't. I trust Chaims usage of it because he knows the parameters a Jew should follow in its use...

To answer why I am at JTF it is because I believe the best Kahanist message is delivered by Chaim and the good members of JTF who contribute time and money to the cause. I believe that JTF should be aimed at Jews who are pro-Zionist and activists for Jewish pride. This means that I want JTF to operate in a Kosher Jewish manner and not just use Hebrew curses glibly. I hope this answers your question...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 05:09:34 PM »
Amongst the names which I have seen Rabbis use such a curse include:

Hitler (Yemach Shemo)
Goebells (Yemach Shemo)
Stalin (Yemach Shemo)
Yessir Arafat (Yemach Shemo)
Ayatollah Kohmeni (Yemach Shemo)
Achmadinajad (Yemach Shemo)
Nasrallah (Yemach Shemo)
mohammud Morsi (Yemach Shemo)

There may be others I have seen but I cannot find references to them...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 06:10:48 PM »
I personally have used this curse in the following threads:

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,64721.msg565586.html#msg565586 (About Dhimmi Carter)

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,56590.msg512824.html#msg512824 (About IDF General Avi Mizrahi)

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,55857.msg508489.html#msg508489 (About hitler but compared to Mel Gibson)

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,53889.msg499223.html#msg499223 (Self hating Jew Julian Schnabel who made an anti-Israel movie)

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,52736.msg494130.html#msg494130 (About the Soviet leaders)

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,50385.msg477742.html#msg477742 (About Osama Bin Laden)

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,56382.msg511689.html#msg511689 (About Rudolph Hess)

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,36647.msg368221.html#msg368221 (About Rosane Barr and her Nazi photo shoot)

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,62822.msg553449.html#msg553449 (About the 2012 Olympic committee)

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,65419.msg569913.html#msg569913 (The 'Jewish voice of peace')

Etc...

I think Norm Finkelstein, Max Blumenthal and Neturei Karta might make nice additions to this list.  I will defer to you if they are not quite up there with the other scum of the earth who have earned their very warm, NO A/C, place in the world to come
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:30:50 PM by JTFenthusiast2 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 08:03:30 PM »
I think Norm Finkelstein, Max Blumenthal and Neturei Karta might make nice additions to this list.  I will defer to you if they are not quite up there with the other scum of the earth who have earned their very warm, NO A/C, place in the world to come

Finkelstein (Yemach Shemo)
Neturei Karta (Yemach Shemo)

I add my curses to these two.... I am not aware of Blumenthals issues enough to make that call at this time...

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 08:14:04 PM »
   Why do you need these words anyway? If your Jewish why not learn good and in general everyday words in Hebrew instead? If your not Jewish why not just stick to your own language without using Jewish expressions and sayings especially when it comes to negative expressions. Everything you say and think affects you. Sayingbad words like the f word and such affects one in many ways and gets one to commit different sins as well.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 08:28:30 PM »
Finkelstein (Yemach Shemo)
Neturei Karta (Yemach Shemo)

I add my curses to these two.... I am not aware of Blumenthals issues enough to make that call at this time...

He is the most overtly anti-Semitic Jew I have ever heard--ever!