Author Topic: Israel to have Sundays off?  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
Israel to have Sundays off?
« on: January 24, 2013, 06:46:00 AM »
Rav Kahane advocated Israel having Sunday as a day for Israelis to relax and "party", on the condition that on Saturday all vehicular traffic would be forbidden: a true Shabbos.

Now Bennett wants the same
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/Flash.aspx/260574

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:14:15 AM by Yerusha »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Israel to have Sundays off?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 01:29:47 AM »
I think that it would be good if there was one day a week anywhere in the world with no car traffic except emergency vehicles. Imagine how many fewer people would die in car accidents if there was one day like that.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 01:45:00 AM »
Excellent point.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:58:56 AM »
I think that it would be good if there was one day a week anywhere in the world with no car traffic except emergency vehicles. Imagine how many fewer people would die in car accidents if there was one day like that.
Please don't abridge my freedom to travel by car on any day I please.  I'm much less worried about people dying than I am about having certain freedoms taken away.  It's a horrible thing that people have to die in car accidents, but it's even more horrible if some police state orders me about.  Isn't it bad enough as it is?

Offline USAReturn2GodNow1776

• Pro JTFer
  • proud christian & kahanist
    • the urban grind
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:02:45 AM »
But what if Israelis who aren't very religious want to drive on Saturday?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:04:24 AM »
Please don't abridge my freedom to travel by car on any day I please.  I'm much less worried about people dying than I am about having certain freedoms taken away.  It's a horrible thing that people have to die in car accidents, but it's even more horrible if some police state orders me about.  Isn't it bad enough as it is?

Do you drive on Shabbat? I hope not. Although I admit that there were times I would drive only to Shul, I really have been trying to avoid driving on that day. If I was in Israel I would certainly live near a shul so I would not have to drive.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 07:31:32 AM »
Do you drive on Shabbat? I hope not. Although I admit that there were times I would drive only to Shul, I really have been trying to avoid driving on that day. If I was in Israel I would certainly live near a shul so I would not have to drive.
There is virtually no Jewish neighborhood in Israel that does not have a shul within reasonable walking distance & many have numerous shuls on one block.
Also everywhere there is an eiruv.

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »

You are foolish if you think it is okay to drive on the sabbath.
Go jogging. XD

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »
Does that also mean you couldn't drive if someone had an emergency?  Just curious.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 11:13:26 AM »
Does that also mean you couldn't drive if someone had an emergency?  Just curious.

The short answer is that Jewish law permits the violation of any commandment when life is in danger. This is  called pikuach nefesh, saving life... So if life is in damger on Shabbat it is imperative to drive to the emergency room to save your, or a brother/sisters life.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 02:31:33 PM »

You've got a good point there. Individual freedom is very important.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 03:12:34 PM »

No, you're allowed to drive for emergencies. 

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »
There is virtually no Jewish neighborhood in Israel that does not have a shul within reasonable walking distance & many have numerous shuls on one block.
Also everywhere there is an eiruv.
What if all the shuls close to you are Deform brothels?

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 10:43:13 PM »

There is practically nowhere in Israel where that is the case.  But speaking theoretically, it is required to stay home and pray at home than to drive to a shul.   Going to shul does not allow desecration of shabbat under any circumstances.  The conservafraud movement first allowed people to drive to shul on shabbat.  They admitted openly that halacha doesn't allow this but they decided their $hul membership was more important than Jewish law.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 10:46:50 PM »
LOL @ "$hul".  :::D :laugh: :::D

Almost as funny as $ha$!  :::D :laugh: :::D

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 12:11:12 AM »

There is nothing wrong with davening with Reform Jews...

If there is a kosher minyan what difference does it make? As long as you walk there (within the proscribed distance permitted to walk and with an eruv) and the others walk there, then what difference does it make (because all that is required is 10 Jewish male adults)?

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 12:16:39 AM »
Deform & CONservative brothels are few & far between here in Israel.
This is NOT America & Israelis even the not religious if & when they go to shul go only to Orthodox shuls as they are not suckers like American Jews & if they go to a shul want the real deal with a real rabbi & are not taken in by this riddiculuous American import.
The miniscule ammount of Deform & CONservative churches are attented by tourists from the US & Canada but not by locals.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 12:23:09 AM »
It was just a question--I wasn't saying that it is a real legit issue.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 12:27:37 AM »
I will add that it is not recommended to associate with heretical Jews. But I do not believe that all reform Jews are heretical. I have related this story before, that my Teshuva came by going to a progressive/reform synagogue first as it was closest to my home. It just so happened that a Modern Orthodox Rabbi was doing Kiruv/Outreach at this synagogue and I got involved with the more Orthodox minyan rather than staying in the liberal/progressive synagogue. But I still keep in touch with that congregation. They are great and they provide important Jewish services in my town. I also make it a routine to visit them on various Holidays such as Sukkot and Channukah so I can keep in touch with the community. Just last week we had a service to honor a member who had died (we had a minyan to say Kaddish for him) and at that service several members from that congregation were in attendance and they all were happy to see me, and we talked about many things of importance to the Jewish community in our area. There are many pro-Zionist reform Jews and several of them had stories about how they recently visited Eretz Yisrael and support it through various means...

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 02:12:30 AM »
There is nothing wrong with davening with Reform Jews... 

Yes there is.   In a Deform synagogue, the deform "rabbi" is likely to be mechallel shabbos, even during the ceremony itself.   How can you join such a prayer service?   It's wrong.

They changed the prayers to English and in some cases changed the words.   Do they even lein the entire Torah portion?   Do they even have shemoneh esray?   Many of these places probably don't even have that.  I don't believe it is ok to daven in a reform so-called synagogue unless there is some extraordinary circumstance requiring it.

You mention your past how there was orthodox kiruv at your reform place (they infiltrated it!), and that's great, but now that you know better, you "graduated" to a real synagogue with real davening. (and anyone who knows better has to "graduate" in this way!)

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 02:15:00 AM »
So what should Jews that only live next to heretical, evil "shuls" do if they cannot drive to them? Can shuls have mid-week services the way churches do under halacha?

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 02:17:24 AM »
So what should Jews that only live next to heretical, evil "shuls" do if they cannot drive to them? Can shuls have mid-week services the way churches do under halacha?

Real shuls have services every day.  We pray every day.   But Shabbat services only occur on Shabbat.    So technically if there is no real shul within walking distance to where the person stays for Shabbat, they would pray by themself at home without a congregation for their Shabbat prayers.    I had to do this in the past.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 02:18:20 AM »
OK so they could drive to a faraway shul on any day but the Sabbath?