Author Topic: Stoning an ox.  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Stoning an ox.
« on: February 10, 2013, 06:21:33 PM »
Why would you stone the ox if it gores someone, isn’t that kind of cruel? The ox doesn’t have freewill?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Stoning an ox.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 06:40:36 PM »
Its a danger to society. And it is not once. It is after 3 times I believe and I also think it is if it kills someone (or after 3 times the owner is responsible). I am not exactly sure, but animals are trained certain ways. If they killed then it can happen again soo better to kill it before it kills another human again. Also to bring precaution for next time that the owner should take care it it better or suffer at least this loss (of his animal).
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »
Its a danger to society.
Yes, but wouldn't there be a more humane way to do it?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »
Isn't there a saying that if a bear kills a human, it must be killed because it has the taste of man and will now see humans as prey.

I don't know about the stoning part though. I thought stoning in Judaism means to throw someone down a long a long distance from the ground. I don't know if that is any better than the throwing of stones type of stoning. I think a simple slit to the neck would do the job but who am I to question the mitzvot.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:10:23 PM »
I do not know for sure, but perhaps the gruesomeness of it will get people to think of the seriousness of this and how this animal died and for what. If it was just shechted like any other kosher animal (for food) the impression would not have taken place as in this type of scenario. Now people would know much better and taken better precaution not to have their animals kill another human being who is more important then an animal.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 07:31:14 PM »
Isn't there a saying that if a bear kills a human, it must be killed because it has the taste of man and will now see humans as prey.

I don't know about the stoning part though. I thought stoning in Judaism means to throw someone down a long a long distance from the ground. I don't know if that is any better than the throwing of stones type of stoning. I think a simple slit to the neck would do the job but who am I to question the mitzvot.
Yes, I believe there is.

I agree about slitting its throat, and you're right who are we to question the Mitzvot. I shot a deer this year in the spine, because I didn't check my scope before I went hunting. So I had to put it out of its misery, and I felt really bad. I just couldn't imagine stoning an animal to death!

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 07:32:05 PM »
I do not know for sure, but perhaps the gruesomeness of it will get people to think of the seriousness of this and how this animal died and for what. If it was just shechted like any other kosher animal (for food) the impression would not have taken place as in this type of scenario. Now people would know much better and taken better precaution not to have their animals kill another human being who is more important then an animal.
That is a good point.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 09:38:47 PM »
But if you slit it in the throat, someone might eat it.