Author Topic: Land for Jonathan Pollard? What is the Halacha?  (Read 3381 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Land for Jonathan Pollard? What is the Halacha?
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:06:35 AM »
I think the answer is very clear, but it is a tough call in my opinion.

I just read this article at A7 which says that there may be a request for the release of Jonathan Pollard from prison during the visit to Israel which the president is making in April. I also have read articles which suggest that Obama may be suggesting to Israel to impose another 'building freeze' on Jerusalem and the disputed territories. It would be suicidal to agree to any of these building freezes as we know that they result in nothing (as the last building freeze was a complete waste of time and grief). But it is important to secure the release of Jonathan Pollard who risked his life to save Jews in Israel...

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/165347#.USHEvXyRz0E

Danon Hints Bibi, Peres will Ask Obama for Pollard

Mike Huckabee, MK Danny Danon, see Obama visit as an opportunity to release Jonathan Pollard.
Gil Ronen

Likud MK Danny Danon hinted Sunday that President Shimon Peres and Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu will ask President Barack Obama to pardon Jonathan Pollard when Obama visits Israel next month.

Danon told Arutz Sheva that to the best of his knowledge, Obama will hear "clear statements" on the matter of Pollard from Netanyahu and Peres, when he visits – and from MK Danon himself.

Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee and MK Danon see the upcoming visit to Israel by President Obama as an opportunity to secure Pollard's release.

They have contacted members of the U.S. Congress and Knesset to join the initiative and sign a joint plea for Pollard's pardon, to be handed to Obama upon his arrival.

"We are making the plea on behalf of most of Israel's citizens, who are saying 'enough.' Have mercy and let him go home," Danon said.

"Obama intends to come here in order to make a plea directly to the hearts of Israel's citizens," he added, "and I hope he understands that the path to the Israelis' heart goes through the release of Pollard."

MK Danon said that while he understands that the subject is a highly charged one, it is clear from statements by U.S. security experts and former senior officials that Pollard is serving a much harsher sentence than would have been meted out to any other person who had committed similar offenses – or even much worse offenses.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
Re: Land for Jonathan Pollard? What is the Halacha?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:14:50 AM »
The American government has shown itself to as honest as a viper when it comes to the hero Jonathon Pollard.

President Clinton promised to free Pollard in exchange for Netanyahu attended the WYE conference, where Netanyahu sold out the holy city of Hebron(may he be judged with strict justice for this). Of course once the accord was signed Clinton broke his word.
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 04:49:36 AM »
The LAST people who want Pollard released are Peres and the Israeli TPTB!

Rav Mordechai Eliyahu said several years ago that the Geulah depends on Pollard being released.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 08:57:06 AM »
The American government has shown itself to as honest as a viper when it comes to the hero Jonathon Pollard.

President Clinton promised to free Pollard in exchange for Netanyahu attended the WYE conference, where Netanyahu sold out the holy city of Hebron(may he be judged with strict justice for this). Of course once the accord was signed Clinton broke his word.

Parts of Hebron were surrendered in the Hebron Protocol in 1997. Wye resulted in the Wye River Memorandum in 1998. Bibi actually suspended Wye due to PLO non-compliance. It was Barak who ended up re-implementing it when he revised it to become the Sharm el-Sheikh Memorandum in 1999 followed shortly by the first expulsion from an outpost since Oslo was signed.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 02:18:31 PM »
I'm not sure how knowledgeable of Torah Pollard is, but he would know better not to trade his freedom for Land to Israel's sworn enemies. 

The USA, who has Pollard and won't let him go, are no different than any terrorist organization that kidnaps Jewish soldiers in this particular instance.  Good Jews do not negotiate with terrorists if it is going to lead to putting more Jewish lives in danger.  Trading Pollard for land falls under that same example.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »
I sure hope Jonathan Pollard is Freed...its surely time.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:04:47 PM »
I hope no one is holding their breath.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:57:52 PM »
I hope no one is holding their breath.

Movie reference : Creepshow

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 09:04:27 PM »
Do you believe in fairy tales?    They are not asking for Pollard because they don't have the balls for that.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 09:32:44 PM »
Do you believe in fairy tales?    They are not asking for Pollard because they don't have the balls for that.

I do believe that Obama may want to increase his 'popularity' among the Jewish voters and it does seem that most Jews do support the release of Pollard. If Obama could 'solve the middle east crisis' by releasing Pollard, do you think he would do it?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 12:40:27 AM »
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/165395#.USMQH3yRz0E

MK Shaked to Obama: Bring Pollard with You

In her first speech at the Knesset, MK Ayelet Shaked had a message for Obama: Bring Jonathan Pollard with you when you come to Israel.
Elad Benari

In her first speech at the Knesset plenum on Monday, MK Ayelet Shaked (Bayit Yehudi) had a message for President Barack Obama: Bring Jonathan Pollard with you when you come to Israel.

Pollard is currently serving a life sentence in a U.S. prison on allegations of spying for Israel.

“At this moment, I want to take advantage of the special occasion and call on U.S. President Barack Obama: Come to visit the land of Israel. You are welcome in Israel, but please do not come empty-handed. Bring back Jonathan Pollard, for he is our brother,” said Shaked.

Earlier on Monday, Jonathan's wife, Esther Pollard, met with Yesh Atid chairman Yair Lapid.

Speaking to Arutz Sheva after the meeting, Pollard expressed renewed hope in the battle for the release of her husband, which has received support not only from Lapid but from tens of thousands of Israelis as well.

As the two met, Jonathan called his wife and got a chance to speak with Lapid, who later told the members of his party that the conversation “truly brought tears to my eyes, and I do not mean that figuratively.”

A petition circulating online advocating for Jonathan's release has been gaining momentum and has already been signed by tens of thousands of Israelis, including a number of MKs such as Yair Lapid, Eitan Cabel (Labor), Elazar Stern (Hatnua) and Avishai Braverman (Labor). Former President Yitzhak Navon has signed the petition as well.

Leftist writers A.B. Yehoshua and David Grossman, Nobel Prize winning chemists Dan Shechtman and Aaron Ciechanover and the heads of major Israeli hospitals are also among those who signed the petition to Obama which states, "After 28 years, the lesson has been learned," and urges Obama to "come to Israel with the news that this tragedy is behind us."

MK Danny Danon (Likud) hinted on Sunday that President Shimon Peres and Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu will ask Obama to pardon Pollard when Obama visits Israel next month.

Danon told Arutz Sheva that to the best of his knowledge, Obama will hear "clear statements" on the matter of Pollard from Netanyahu and Peres, when he visits – and from MK Danon himself.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 12:47:07 AM »

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 02:49:51 AM »
I do believe that Obama may want to increase his 'popularity' among the Jewish voters and it does seem that most Jews do support the release of Pollard. If Obama could 'solve the middle east crisis' by releasing Pollard, do you think he would do it?

What?  How does that solve the middle east crisis?

Bibi is not going to request Pollard's release, he has never done anything for pollard

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 12:58:51 PM »
What?  How does that solve the middle east crisis?

Bibi is not going to request Pollard's release, he has never done anything for pollard

Bibi is actually the one PM that does support Pollard. Sharon "forgot" to bring a petition signed by all the Non-Arab MKs to Bush.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
I know that Jonathan Pollard is important but I don't think he's important to the Israeli establishment. Didn't an agent from Israel tell him to commit suicide? They don't give a crap about him. They probably blame him for being in prison for so long.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 02:38:18 PM »
I am beginning to believe that Obama may want to release him as a 'goodwill' gesture to the Jewish nation, and thus get the Israeli government to make sacrifices such as building freezes and promises of establishing a terrorist state in our midst. I have suspected this scenario for a while... That Obama, in a desire to force his mid-east vision on Israel, would do the 'unthinkable' in releasing Pollard to Israel on the condition Israel bend-over backwards to receive the sharp-[censored] in the rear...

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 06:42:57 PM »
The thought of giving of the land of israel to the most inferior race is a tough call? Id give you for Pollard

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 06:54:37 PM »
The thought of giving of the land of israel to the most inferior race is a tough call? Id give you for Pollard
RON! Why do you have to be so rude to Muman? That's not very Torah like!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »

Do you care at all about Jonathan Pollard or was he just a rube for sacrificing his life for the Jewish state? Sometimes I wonder if you care at all about the Jewish people or only your snotty face. You are so full of yourself that you think people really care about what you think. Among those I know, your opinion means absolutely zilch..

I said clearly in my posting that I don't think that any land should be given or promised to secure the release of Pollard. But I suspect that Obama may want to dangle this carrot before the Israeli leaders in the hopes of 'restarting' the dead peace deals.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 08:18:40 PM »

Bibi is actually the one PM that does support Pollard. Sharon "forgot" to bring a petition signed by all the Non-Arab MKs to Bush.

Wrong.  Bibi has done the same forgetting and the same nothing

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 10:36:14 PM »
 :usa+israel:                                                                                                                                               :fist:

Moral principle is reason enough to free Jewish hero Jonathan Pollard. Giving up G-d given land 'blasphemy' should
 not be the criteria!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 10:44:43 PM »
:usa+israel:                                                                                                                                               :fist:

Moral principle is reason enough to free Jewish hero Jonathan Pollard. Giving up G-d given land 'blasphemy' should
 not be the criteria!

It appears I didn't clearly state my intention for this thread. I suspect that Obama wants to offer Pollard as a bargaining chip to strong-arm Bibi into accepting a building freeze or other agreement establishing a 'palestine' state. Of course Pollard should be free because he has served more than enough time for his action. But I suspect that because Obama really wants to get some 'results' from the peace deal he may just offer up Pollard...

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46:04 PM »
Wrong.  Bibi has done the same forgetting and the same nothing

Esther Pollard has stated in the past that Bibi is the only PM that really tried to help.