Author Topic: Movie - The Possession: Your opinion?  (Read 455 times)

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
Movie - The Possession: Your opinion?
« on: February 27, 2013, 04:46:59 PM »
http://io9.com/5939553/the-possession-is-the-pop-reggae-version-of-the-exorcist

A lof of times 'the Jew' is see as the bad guy. I think it's a great story, about a Jewish men who saves a little girl that is possessed by a demon.
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
Re: Movie - The Possession: Your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 01:31:10 AM »
Matisyahu was in it? I know he is not Hasidic anymore but he was at one point. It surprised me that he would be in a secular movie about demons.

I have not seen it before, it looks very creepy from the previews. The scariest part is that a trailer says "based on a true story"... True story?  :o

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 02:19:56 AM »
There is a Jewish legend, from the Chassidic lore of the 'Old Country' called the 'Dibbuk'.

The Dibbuk is the closest thing in Jewish folklore concerning 'demon possession'.

I don't actually believe that this is true, but it is a possibility and I have heard it referred to in reference to 'Gilgulim' and Soul transmission.

http://www.oztorah.com/2007/09/exorcisms-dybbuks-ask-the-rabbi/

Q. What is a dybbuk?

A. The famous play, “The Dybbuk”, by S. Ansky (Shlomo Zangwill Rappoport, 1863-1920) deals with a poor student who is in love with Leah, a girl who is engaged to someone else. Unable to make headway with her, he dies but attaches himself to her body until finally exorcised by Rabbi Azriel, though not without Leah herself also losing her life. The play with all its deep psychological drama has been staged in many languages and there have also been several film versions.

The name “dybbuk” is from a Hebrew root that means to adhere or attach; a dybbuk is the restless spirit of a dead person which transmigrates into another body but can be exorcised by the use of kabbalistic practices. While the more rationalistic groups in Judaism reject the notion of reincarnation, kabbalistic movements took it seriously and carried out exorcisms.

From about the 16th century there were a number of personages known as ba’alei shem, “masters of the Divine name”, who succeeded in exorcising reincarnated spirits who were disturbing the balance of those to whose bodies a dybbuk had become attached. The most famous was Israel Ba’al Shem Tov, the founder of Chassidism. In its literal sense, the idea of a dybbuk creates problems for many, but even the rejectionists have to come to terms with cases of people being possessed or obsessed.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 02:25:19 AM »
Here is a discussion of the 'nature of the soul' according to some Jewish interpretations...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 03:38:17 AM »
Matisyahu was in it? I know he is not Hasidic anymore but he was at one point. It surprised me that he would be in a secular movie about demons.

I have not seen it before, it looks very creepy from the previews. The scariest part is that a trailer says "based on a true story"... True story?  :o
I saw the movie in cinema a few months ago. It is creepy indeed but i love it!
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »
Why is this movie considered the pop reggae version of the exorcist?

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »
Why is this movie considered the pop reggae version of the exorcist?
Not sure to be honest...