Author Topic: Just Speced. Purchased, Set-up, and am running Intel i7 super-system  (Read 1748 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
This post is addressed to our computer nerds.

I just speced, purchased and set-up a brand new Intel i7 computer system for my home. This is the first system upgrade I have made in about three years. The system I was replacing was an Intel Quad-Core Pentium running @ 2.8GHz which had 4G of DDR2 memory. That system had a nVidia graphics system and was running Ubuntu 12.04 as the primary operating system.

Since I recently received by tax refund I decided to spend a little cash....

I replaced it with a Pentium i7 (8 core) system which runs at 3.5GHz with 32GB of internal DDR3 memory. I placed a 1 TeraByte hard-drive in this system and installed Ubuntu 12.10. This system screams. It boots fast, web-pages load like lightning through butter, and compiling and linking software runs like a Cheetah.

Does anyone else have experience with the i7 CPU? I am not even over-clocking it (which my Motherboards BIOS supports). I have an i3 at work for my desktop machine but my home machine now surpasses my work machine...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Re: Just Speced. Purchased, Set-up, and am running Intel i7 super-system
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 04:00:27 AM »
nice.

did you travel into the future to get that eight core processor?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 11:36:25 AM »
I'll try again.
Its 8 threads.
4 cores x 2 threads = 8 threads.

I was going to get the hex core but it was $999. So I went with the i7 quad core that went for $199 instead (last year).
Hex core would have been 12 threads.

Most of the time I'm using only one or two of the 8 threads. So its actually fine if I had a similar i3 or i5.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:10:38 PM »
What's it like to run a desktop with 32 gigs of RAM, is that an overkill or does it improve the performance ?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »
What's it like to run a desktop with 32 gigs of RAM, is that an overkill or does it improve the performance ?

Yes.. 32gb is more than enough. I have not yet used anywhere near that amount of memory. What is great is that it never needs to cache the memory to disk. So far i have not used any 'swap' memory. And YES this greatly improves performance. Apps load faster, web pages load faster.. i monitor the cpu performance and so far i have not seen more than 20% utilization.

Ack, yes only 4 'cores' but each core runs 2 threads, thus linux reports as though i have 8 cpus...

I hope to make a video demonstrating the efficiency of this new system.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »
even thought its more than enough, even though you probably only use less than 1G, 30G of that is used by linux to cache the entire file system. so nothing is wasted.
So with 32G, when you copy a 500MB file, it only takes two seconds. And then you wonder why it seems like something is wrong. It actually wrote to memory.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »
Yes.. 32gb is more than enough. I have not yet used anywhere near that amount of memory. What is great is that it never needs to cache the memory to disk. So far i have not used any 'swap' memory. And YES this greatly improves performance. Apps load faster, web pages load faster.. i monitor the cpu performance and so far i have not seen more than 20% utilization.

Ack, yes only 4 'cores' but each core runs 2 threads, thus linux reports as though i have 8 cpus...

I hope to make a video demonstrating the efficiency of this new system.

for a moment there I thought you were captain kirk from the future.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 02:24:21 PM »
even thought its more than enough, even though you probably only use less than 1G, 30G of that is used by linux to cache the entire file system. so nothing is wasted.
So with 32G, when you copy a 500MB file, it only takes two seconds. And then you wonder why it seems like something is wrong. It actually wrote to memory.

When I was spec'ing the system I was debating whether to get the 1333Mhz or the 1600Mhz DDR3 memory. I was thinking using faster memory might increase system performance. I am glad I didn't use the faster memory because it saved me $30...

Here is the original spec I wrote for the system:

CPU-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
$339.99
Intel Core i7 3770K Boxed 3.5GHz Unlocked 3rd Generation Processor Formerly Known as Ivy Bridge
  Mfr: Intel     Model: 920492
  FRYS.com #7028331     UPC: 735858241434
  Memory Types   DDR3-1333/1600
  Socket 1155

http://www.frys.com/product/7028331?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

MEMORY--------------------------------------------------------------------------
$179.90
DDR3 32GB 1333MHz Patrio
  Mfr: Patriot     Model: PGQ332G1333ELQK
  FRYS.com #7182432     UPC: 815530012696

http://www.frys.com/product/7182432?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

--OR--

#209.99
DDR3 32GB 1600MHz Corsai
  Mfr: Corsair     Model: CMX32GX3M4A1600C11
  FRYS.com #7089801     UPC: 843591021807

http://www.frys.com/product/7089801?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

MOTHERBOARD---------------------------------------------------------------------
$269.99
MSI Z77A-GD80 Intel Z77 1155 Thunderbolt Motherboard
  Mfr: Msi     Model: Z77A-GD80
  FRYS.com #7189222

http://www.frys.com/product/7189222?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

--OR--

$149.99
Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus Intel Z77 1155 Motherboard
  Mfr: Asus     Model: 90-MIBIN0-G0AAY0MZ
  FRYS.com #7154382     UPC: 610839186617

http://www.frys.com/product/7154382?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

CASE----------------------------------------------------------------------------
$49.99

Cooler Master Elite 360 with 350W PSU
  Mfr: Cooler Master     Model: RC-361-KKR350
  FRYS.com #6696014     UPC: 884102015717

http://www.frys.com/product/6696014?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System #1 w/MSI MB & 1600MHz Memory @ $869.96 w/o tax
System #2 w/Asus MB & 1333MHz Memory @  $719.87 w/o tax

I went with the ASUS board and the 1333Mhz memory...

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 03:39:24 PM »
i have the slight older sandy bridge version.
same specs, 3.5GHz etc...

I swapped out the i3 2100t processor. big difference because the 't' is the powersave version of the i3 2100.
although I'm not sure if there would be any difference between the i7 and i5 if I didn't use more than 4 threads.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »
i have the slight older sandy bridge version.
same specs, 3.5GHz etc...

I swapped out the i3 2100t processor. big difference because the 't' is the powersave version of the i3 2100.
although I'm not sure if there would be any difference between the i7 and i5 if I didn't use more than 4 threads.
the i7 3770K should be better for overclocking, which means it can and should be faster.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 09:00:24 PM »
Until a few months ago I've been using a laptop I got new in 2003.  My new laptop has an I core7 processor.  It is freakin amazing.  Everything faster.  When I stream nba games (yes pointless activity but I enjoy sports too much and have to have some time for that or ill go crazy) it's as smooth as a tv set. What a picture.

I haven't yet tried video editing however.  I'm sure its not sufficiently powered for that.  Muman, How many years do you think it will be until laptops have sufficient computing power to rapidly edit video (clip large files and so on)?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 09:17:25 PM »
Until a few months ago I've been using a laptop I got new in 2003.  My new laptop has an I core7 processor.  It is freakin amazing.  Everything faster.  When I stream nba games (yes pointless activity but I enjoy sports too much and have to have some time for that or ill go crazy) it's as smooth as a tv set. What a picture.

I haven't yet tried video editing however.  I'm sure its not sufficiently powered for that.  Muman, How many years do you think it will be until laptops have sufficient computing power to rapidly edit video (clip large files and so on)?

Hi,

I think a laptop with an i7 and sufficient memory and hard-drive space should be able to edit video nicely. As I assume you are running a version of Windows I cannot tell you what software is suitable for that (except for the standard MovieMaker)...

But it sounds like you have sufficient CPU power to do it.. I would make sure you have at least 4GB of RAM if you intend on doing this.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 09:22:03 PM »
Things I do which consume CPU power include:

1) Running multiple virtual machines to cross-compile my applications on several Linux distributions and Windows XP & Windows 7.
2) Streaming multiple video sources simultaneously with audio from only one source (a form of PIP [picture in picture]).
3) Uploading/Downloading via bluetooth to my phone and tablet.

My MB has the latest serial buses which I have no peripherals for yet. It includes USB 3.0, 6 Gb/s SATA disk, and PCI-x expansion slots... Hopefully soon I will get a USB 3.0 peripheral.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 10:44:38 PM »
Hi,

I think a laptop with an i7 and sufficient memory and hard-drive space should be able to edit video nicely. As I assume you are running a version of Windows I cannot tell you what software is suitable for that (except for the standard MovieMaker)...

But it sounds like you have sufficient CPU power to do it.. I would make sure you have at least 4GB of RAM if you intend on doing this.

Oh, I didn't realize that.  I think I have 6 or 8gb of RAM (I forget now).   I am using windows 8 actually.     That would be really great if I can do some video editing with this machine.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 05:51:57 AM »
Muman, is your mobo comes with the UEFI (the new "bios") ? If so did you have any troubles trying to install ubuntu on it ?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 04:24:50 PM »
Muman, is your mobo comes with the UEFI (the new "bios") ? If so did you have any troubles trying to install ubuntu on it ?

Shalom Zelhar,

I checked my Motherboard manual and it seems it is a UEFI Bios.... And I had no issues installing the latest release of Ubuntu 12.10... 12.10 is not a LTS (Long Term Support) release as 12.04 is but I heard that 12.10 better supports the latest Intel chipsets.... So far I have not had any major issues...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/148752/do-the-latest-intel-core-i3-i5-i7-processors-just-work-with-12-04

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
My custom Htpc alone consists of the Silverstone lc-17s case, 3770k processor, Asus z77 chipset, Nvidia Gtx 560ti, Xonar D1 audio card, corsair sp2500 speaker 232watt system, 16gb ddr3 @1600mhz, samsung ssd 830 model 256gb, Wd 2tb hdd, bluray burner @14x, hyper evo 120mm cooler, win7 sp1 msdn, and siig wireless keyboard and mouse.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 05:54:21 PM »
My custom Htpc alone consists of the Silverstone lc-17s case, 3770k processor, Asus z77 chipset, Nvidia Gtx 560ti, Xonar D1 audio card, corsair sp2500 speaker 232watt system, 16gb ddr3 @1600mhz, samsung ssd 830 model 256gb, Wd 2tb hdd, bluray burner @14x, hyper evo 120mm cooler, win7 sp1 msdn, and siig wireless keyboard and mouse.

Wow! Very nice system... Must run like a cheetah!

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 07:24:25 AM »
and your electric bill is?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 08:23:48 AM »
Can you have windows office on ubuntu? I have the idea of installing ubuntu on an old laptop.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 03:40:23 PM »
Can you have windows office on ubuntu? I have the idea of installing ubuntu on an old laptop.
Possibly but I wouldn't bet on it. You can look up there:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=31

Even applications that get "platinum" rating have some problems running on wine. For example I run notepad++ on wine and it works ok as long as I don't try the RTL mode for Hebrew typing.

I think if you can't live without MS Office then don't bet on it running on Ubuntu. But Libre Office is a very capable office suit and very similar to the interface of MS Word 2003.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 08:00:44 PM »
I built a new computer a few months ago, still gotta do some cable management, not as impressive as your system but I will probably upgrade the processor soon and the video card.

I am running a
Intel 2120 i3 3.3 ghz 3 mb cache
8 gigs ram g.skill DDR 3
Radeon 6870 1 gig ram xfx video card
Biostar tz77b motherboard
90 gig corsair solid state drive
1 terabyte seagate harddrive both running on Sata 3
Antec 620 watt neo Eco psu
Antec 300 illusion case

Spent around 620 for everything

Spent 600 dollars on the setup, I mainly use it to play games and what not but hopefully upgrade to a i5 soon.

Solid state drive on windows 7 I am getting about 4 second boot up time, virus scans and running games, multiple applications is insanely fast.

Also using a Razer black widow mechanical keyboard blue switch and a Razer death adder mouse with adjustable dpi

This is the computer I built