Poll

Do you think Yoga promotes Hinduism ?

Yes
2 (28.6%)
No
5 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Judge adds twist to school yoga case  (Read 1036 times)

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
Judge adds twist to school yoga case
« on: April 01, 2013, 02:14:47 PM »
A routine courtroom hearing to set a date for a lawsuit challenging yoga classes in Encinitas schools took an unexpected turn Thursday morning when the judge assigned to the case revealed that he practices yoga himself.

“Does anybody have a problem with that?” San Diego Superior Court Judge John Meyer asked.

Dean Broyles, who is representing parents suing the Encinitas Union School District in a lawsuit that has gained international attention, said he was fine with Meyer presiding over the case if the judge can keep an open mind about the plaintiff’s argument regarding spiritual connections to yoga.

While the purpose of the hearing was to set a trial date and consider whether the Coast Law Group could intervene on behalf of families in the district that support the yoga program, much of the hourlong courtroom discussion focused on whether yoga is inherently religious — the core question in the case.

Meyer, who said he began doing Bikram yoga about a month and a half ago, likened the activity to simple stretching exercises.

“If you think there’s something spiritual about what I do, that’s news to me,” he said.

It’s an argument Broyles has heard before. Many people, including administrators of the Encinitas school district, view yoga as a physical activity more associated with Pilates than prayers.

Broyles has said he believes people may be swayed by expert witness Candy Gunther Brown, a professor in the religious studies department at Indiana University who wrote a declaration asserting that the district’s yoga program promotes and advances religion, including Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism and Western metaphysics.

With Brown on sabbatical in England, Broyles tentatively agreed to a May 20 court date for the trial but said he may seek a later date if she is not available by then.

The elementary school district began offering yoga as part of physical education at all of its schools in January. The program is funded with a three-year, $533,000 grant from the K.P. Jois Foundation, which also is paying for a related study about the benefits of yoga among children.

On Thursday, Broyles said the Ashtanga yoga taught in the district is one of the more spiritual versions of yoga. Meyer said he was unfamiliar with it and had not heard of other yoga terms Broyles asked about.

“Have you been taught the sun salutation?” Broyles asked, referring to a series of poses in yoga.

“The what?” Meyer responded.

“Have you done the lotus position?” Broyles asked.

“What’s that?” the judge replied.

Attorney Jack Sleeth, who is representing the district pro bono, asked whether physical motions alone could be considered religious.

“Now we’re getting into your closing argument,” Meyer said.

Besides setting a tentative date for the trial, Meyer agreed to allow the Coast Law Group to intervene in the lawsuit.

David Peck of that firm said he would represent for free the parents of more than 130 students who have joined a group called Yoga for Encinitas Students.

After the hearing, Peck and Sleeth said they would work together on the case, with Sleeth taking the lead as the district representative.

In the past, Peck said, the Coast Law Group has intervened in lawsuits involving environmental issues.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/mar/29/encinitas-yoga-lawsuit-judge/

-----------------------------

about the whole issue of not allowing yoga cause it promotes Hinduism or concept of deity worship. In my opinion.. Yoga promotes Hinduism, as much as Science promotes Agnosticism or Atheism. But, I believe that practices like Bikram Yoga should be scrutinized.  If at all Bikram Choudhury has done anything.. is damage to Hinduism.. wont even be surprised to know that this guy is self hating Hindu, uses Yoga as a pure commercial tool.. Making Yoga more exotic or even erotic for westerners or hippies to join.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Judge adds twist to school yoga case
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 03:03:21 PM »
I think it is because of the way it is taught and by whom. In India in many cases Yoga is taught in temples or ashrams and it is very integrated with Hinduism. Many of the yoga teachers in the west travel to India to study their yoga practice.

In the end in doesn't mean that every yoga class is a hindu mission in disguise. Most people just do yoga for the exercise and the possibly pagan names don't mean anything on their own. The names of the days of the week and the months have pagan names in English that doesn't make English speakers to pagans.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 03:35:16 PM »
I think it is because of the way it is taught and by whom. In India in many cases Yoga is taught in temples or ashrams and it is very integrated with Hinduism. Many of the yoga teachers in the west travel to India to study their yoga practice.

In the end in doesn't mean that every yoga class is a hindu mission in disguise. Most people just do yoga for the exercise and the possibly pagan names don't mean anything on their own. The names of the days of the week and the months have pagan names in English that doesn't make English speakers to pagans.

I think is it well founded that doing yoga properly has many benefits for the human body.  I'm not sure that we can say that these benefits can only be attained through yoga.  I think that doing Tai Chi may offer many of the same benefits and adding stretching and meditation into the mix may offer similar results.  I think Chaim has said before that practicing yoga for Jews is not allowed

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »
I think is it well founded that doing yoga properly has many benefits for the human body.  I'm not sure that we can say that these benefits can only be attained through yoga.  I think that doing Tai Chi may offer many of the same benefits and adding stretching and meditation into the mix may offer similar results.  I think Chaim has said before that practicing yoga for Jews is not allowed
I am in favor of practicing yoga -just the gymnastic part. There are religious Jews and even a few charedim who practice yoga.

http://www.vosizneias.com/29493/2009/03/26/jerusalem-kosher-style-yoga-for-observant-jews-kept-very-pareve/

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:34:13 PM »
I am in favor of practicing yoga -just the gymnastic part. There are religious Jews and even a few charedim who practice yoga.

http://www.vosizneias.com/29493/2009/03/26/jerusalem-kosher-style-yoga-for-observant-jews-kept-very-pareve/

I like to eat Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Unfortunately, that is not healthy..even a little

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 09:44:35 PM »
I don't believe in practicing it because the different positions have some kind of spiritual meaning like sign language to the spirit world, and a lot of yoga instructors talk about the flow of chi, etc. being manipulated through yoga. Someone of my belief system would not participate in things like that. 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:45:42 PM »
I don't believe in practicing it because the different positions have some kind of spiritual meaning like sign language to the spirit world, and a lot of yoga instructors talk about the flow of chi, etc. being manipulated through yoga. Someone of my belief system would not participate in things like that.

You make a good point, Ruby