Author Topic: Anything wrong with Nazi propaganda assignment?  (Read 936 times)

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Anything wrong with Nazi propaganda assignment?
« on: April 14, 2013, 01:15:09 PM »
It is meant to be upsetting, and it is meant to teach a lesson.  If the teacher intended it in the same way as this author, I also do not see what the big fuss is about.    Seems to me like Abe Foxman justifying his existence again.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/13/my-take-nothing-wrong-with-nazi-assignment/

Editor's note: Stephen Prothero, a Boston University religion scholar and author of "The American Bible: How Our Words Unite, Divide, and Define a Nation," is a regular CNN Belief Blog contributor.

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

My Take: Nothing wrong with Nazi assignment
CNN) - School officials in Albany, New York, are racing to control the damage after a teacher at Albany High School gave students a persuasive writing assignment that challenged them to defend the proposition that “Jews are evil.”

After studying Nazi propaganda and rhetoric, sophomores in three English classes were instructed to imagine that their teacher was “a member of the government in Nazi Germany” and to prove that that they were “loyal to the Nazis.”

But this unidentified teacher is now caught up in a propaganda swirl of his or her own.

Albany Superintendent Marguerite Vanden Wyngaard, at a Friday press conference at which she was flanked by members of the Anti-Defamation League and Jewish Federation of New York, apologized and promised disciplinary action.

One student, Emily Karandy, told The Times Union of Albany that she kept putting off the assignment “because I didn’t want to think about it” and she felt “horrible” when she turned it in.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

New York City Councilman David Greenfield has called for the resignation of the teacher, who has been placed on leave.

"The teacher responsible for coming up with and assigning students with this task must be held accountable for attempting to indoctrinate children with anti-Semitic beliefs," Greenfield said in a statement. "Quite obviously, this teacher lacks the judgment and common sense necessary to have a position of such great responsibility and is clearly not fit to return to the classroom."

"You asked a child to support the notion that the Holocaust was justified, that's my struggle," said Vanden Wyngaard. "It's an illogical leap for a student to make."

I think it’s Greenfield who is lacking in common sense here. And it's the superintendent who is being illogical.

I suppose it is possible that the teacher is a closet Nazi attempting to reconstruct the Third Reich in Albany. But isn’t it more likely that he or she is trying to teach students about the dangers of propaganda and the horrors of the Holocaust?

Consider the student who felt “horrible” about doing this assignment. Is that really a bad thing? How are high school students today supposed to feel about Nazism and the Holocaust?

Apparently, what they are supposed to feel (and think) is nothing, because the lesson high school teachers are going to take away from this fiasco is to avoid this topic at all costs, lest they risk losing their jobs.

When I was an assistant professor at Georgia State University in Atlanta, I used to teach Nazi theology. My students read sermons by Nazi theologians arguing that Jews were evil and were responsible for killing Jesus. They also read a book called “Theologians Under Hitler” by Robert P. Erickson, who tried to explain how and why Christian thinkers could come to believe that exterminating Jews was somehow Christ-like.

I am not a Nazi. I was not teaching Nazi theology as the truth. I was teaching it as propaganda, just like this Albany High School teacher was doing. My purpose was not to make my students sympathetic to Nazism. My purpose was to unsettle them. And to teach them something along the way.

I had two goals when teaching this material.

First, I wanted my students to realize that smart Christians with doctoral degrees supported the Holocaust. Second, I wanted them to grapple with the implications of this fact on their own religious commitments. Do Christians today have any responsibility to know this history and to try to make sure it doesn’t happen again? If so, how can they exercise that responsibility without coming to understand the contours of Nazi thought?

But instead of grappling with these questions, my students almost universally tried to side-step them. The Nazis were not Christians, they told me confidently, because Christians would never kill Jews just for being Jews. Case closed. Time to move on to more comfortable topics.

What I witnessed in Atlanta, and what we are seeing today in Albany, is a failure of imagination. My students were so locked into their current circumstances that they couldn’t imagine things being different in a different place and time.

For them, to believe that Christians could condone the Holocaust was (to quote from the Albany superintendent) an “illogical leap.” But Christians did condone the Holocaust. How can students learn that without digging into the primary materials? And how better to wrestle with those primary materials than by constructing a persuasive essay built upon them?

If I were teaching at Albany High School I might have worded this assignment a little differently. But it's a terrific assignment, and one that should be used at more high schools across the country. To far too many American youth, the Holocaust is an echo of an echo. Assignments like this bring it alive in all its horrors.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

But students aren't the only victims of the failure of imagination we are now witnessing among Albany school officials and Jewish leaders. The teacher is a victim, too. And so are public school teachers across the country who are being told via this fiasco not to be creative as teachers, not to challenge their students to think in new ways.

If this teacher is fired, I will invite him or her to Boston University, where I now teach, to explain what he or she was trying to accomplish in challenging students with this assignment. And I will give the same assignment to my college students. I think it will do them some good.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stephen Prothero.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Anything wrong with Nazi propaganda assignment?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »
I tend to disagree with this opinion because I think that it would perpetuate negative stereotypes of Jews, the types of stereotypes that the Nazi propaganda itself inspired. Unless the teacher, after the students wrote their thesis on why the Jews deserved extermination, intended on refuting those accusations I think the entire exercise was not educational, rather it was destructive.

There is no excuse to hate the entire Jewish people. That kind of thinking is Amalekite thinking, and the exact thinking of Haman HaRasha. What if some of these students came across the vile antisemitic so-called 'truth' sites which blame the Jewish people for every evil under the sun. Maybe some of the information would be rejected, but some would seem reasonable because every falsehood is tinged with a bit of truth. The only way to teach about the Shoah is to write a paper on why the Nazi ideology of racial superiority was wrong. It would inspire that same kind of investigation into the Nazi propaganda, and the falsehoods propagated as scientific proof of Jewish inferiority.

When i saw the story on Friday afternoon I saw a comment by someone who said he was a survivor of the Holocaust. He too thought this was an educationally positive exercise. I had to disagree with him and say what I am saying here...

Rothschilds Immuminati New World Order Blood Libel Protocols of Elders Talmudic Hate Chosen People Goyim
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 06:27:18 PM »
I was thinking the same thing KWRBT. It's funny how this theoretical exercise has produced so much outrage but daily missile salvos into Jewish kindergartens and hospitals doesn't. And yeah, if Ayatollah Foxman is weighing in on something, we can rest assured that it is the wrong side.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 10:42:20 PM »
Public schools are going to teach a different agenda than the parents would teach. I think that if you want your child brought up the way you want, you should home school your children or carefully choose a private school. Public schools are government indoctrination centers.

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 02:07:12 AM »
I lean towards the opinion of muman613, because:
Someone who is a real closet Nazi could use this as an excuse to engage in anti-semitic propaganda without punishment, especially if he doesn't devote the same amount of energy to an effective rebuttal.
Secondly, once the students are exposed to a Nazi mindset, the teacher might honestly think he later has done a good rebuttal, but in the mind of the student, the Nazi argument remains more convincing.
The ideas of Amalek and the Nazis need to be stamped out from planet earth and not the subject of debate.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 04:03:37 AM »
I agree with muman613.   

I have a better idea, teacher!  Teach them about the Holocaust and teach them why anti-semitism is wrong and evil. 

I think this assignment is, at best, disgusting, sick and perverted!

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 04:45:48 AM »
I agree with muman613.   

I have a better idea, teacher!  Teach them about the Holocaust and teach them why anti-semitism is wrong and evil. 

Why do you assume that was not the goal of the assignment?

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 08:33:09 PM »
Why do you assume that was not the goal of the assignment?

KWBRT,

I think if this was as you are hoping and I can def. understand this, then this information would have already been disseminated by the school and press.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 11:31:33 PM »
KWBRT,

I think if this was as you are hoping and I can def. understand this, then this information would have already been disseminated by the school and press.

Not necessarily.   I think they are interested in throwing the teacher under the bus to prove how politically correct they are and so they won't have to take flack from Foxman et al.   I don't think they have any interest in defending the teacher even if he was completely justified because that's a PR nightmare and ADL will then have more of a field day then they're already having.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 02:10:16 PM »
Some days I wonder if Foxman and ilk are actually being supported/funded by the neo-Nazis in order to create the appearance that a "Jewish mafia" or "Jewish illuminati" actually exists. I'm quite sure they are being funded by the Saudis at minimum.