Author Topic: SECURITY ALERT: If you use Windows, do this...  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
SECURITY ALERT: If you use Windows, do this...
« on: May 02, 2013, 11:39:50 PM »
There are always new security vulnerabilities and Microsoft is the king of bad ideas when it comes to security.

If you use Windows and are not on a local network behind a router, then you need to do the following:
  • Go to Control Panel / Folder Options / View TAB
  • Scroll down to where it say's "Use Sharing Wizard (Recomended)" and remove the check mark
  • Click Apply and then OK
Doing this will prevent the Users directory (with all your personal files, settings, documents, and even your desktop) from being automatically shared to the Internet.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/users-folder-shared-without-restrictions/6f912ddb-139e-445a-89fe-863c6aebb510
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
Re: SECURITY ALERT: If you use Windows, do this...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 01:21:52 AM »
Microsoft must go after windows 8 lol it seriously sucks they should have included a start bar in it. Thanks though did do.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:31:24 AM »
There are always new security vulnerabilities and Microsoft is the king of bad ideas when it comes to security.

If you use Windows and are not on a local network behind a router, then you need to do the following:
  • Scroll down to where it say's "Use Sharing Wizard (Recomended)" and remove the check mark
Doing this will prevent the Users directory (with all your personal files, settings, documents, and even your desktop) from being automatically shared to the Internet.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/users-folder-shared-without-restrictions/6f912ddb-139e-445a-89fe-863c6aebb510

Thanks Shlomo.  Done.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 06:29:17 PM »
Thanks Shlomo, keep this on the website for awhile...

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »

What's a "local network behind a router" and how do I know if I am using one?

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 10:57:27 PM »
+1 and I can't find these settings on windows 8.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 07:34:10 AM »
What's a "local network behind a router" and how do I know if I am using one?

If you have only one computer, you should follow the steps in the original post. If you have more than one and share files between the two on a network, then you probably have a router with a hardware firewall.

I'm not sure where it is on that mess called Windows 8. I installed it, used it for a week, formatted my computer, and went back to Windows 7. Wish I could help.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 10:07:23 AM »
At the top of the start screen with the tiles, type in control panel...anywhere in the blue area at the top.  It will bring up that 'app'.  Open the control panel and in the upper right hand corner you can search for folders.  That will bring you to the folder options.  Click on the view tab and scroll down.  There you can change the setting that Shlomo was referring to.  I hope that helps. :)

It helps to know that you can search in that upper area of the 'start' screen when looking for the control panel or documents (whatever).  I found that out the hard way.  >:(
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »
Remember to do this if you haven't already. Just a friendly reminder.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 10:59:53 AM »
I am still using XP I am not interested Windows 8 nor touch screen & am happy with my mouse & keyboard.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 12:16:01 PM »
I am still using XP I am not interested Windows 8 nor touch screen & am happy with my mouse & keyboard.

Lol xp rocks, but the noobs on hackthissite.org can hack it.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 01:31:02 PM »
my already had share with no one and a lock on it
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 03:21:09 PM »
Boy is MS having a hard month... Did you hear about the flaw in the August upgrade? Windows machines crashing with BSOD (blue screens of death)...

I pity those who must use windows... Baruch Hashem for alternatives!
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 09:47:04 AM »
I'll do that now....right after windows stops writing crap on my hard drive.
I have to wail until these endless loops finish....

Also, most people are behind some kind of firewall anyway. I doubt anyone's computer is directly connected to the internet. But definitely a good idea.

....ten years later...
The HDD lights stop flashing.
OK...>>uncheck<< Done!
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774