Author Topic: Hijab but no beard...  (Read 1555 times)

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
Hijab but no beard...
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:11:36 AM »
Today I watched a work indoctrination movie that had a women wearing a hijab for obvious religious reasons. My question is why I can't grow a beard even though this would also be out of religious reasons also. I think this whole culture of clean-shaven is rather ridiculous and an attempt to further feminize males. Where did this even start and why is the beard considered so unclean in our culture?

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Hijab but no beard...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 10:25:04 AM »
Today I watched a work indoctrination movie that had a women wearing a hijab for obvious religious reasons. My question is why I can't grow a beard even though this would also be out of religious reasons also. I think this whole culture of clean-shaven is rather ridiculous and an attempt to further feminize males. Where did this even start and why is the beard considered so unclean in our culture?

It gets dirty... you ever had a sweating beard?
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 10:32:44 AM »
No I have never had a chance because of work, but still if people can run around wearing Hijabs in the customer service industry for religious reaason, I believe I should be able to grow a beard for religious reasons also.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 01:08:04 PM »
You don't have to grow a beard to observe Judaism. The full beard is just tradition, albeit a very important one for certain subgroups of Jews like Hasidim.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »
Where I live, in California, the beard is protected by law. I have had a full beard for ten years at the company I work at. So too are my peyot protected and they can't do anything to get me to shave them...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »
It appears the law was originally intended for Sikhs, but all religions are covered...

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/09/local/la-me-workplace-discrimination-20120909

SACRAMENTO — California employers face new restrictions against shunting Sikh and Muslim workers out of public view for wearing turbans, beards and hijabs, under a bill signed Saturday by Gov. Jerry Brown.

The measure could affect workplaces from Disneyland to San Quentin Prison.

"This bill, AB 1964, makes it very clear that wearing any type of religious clothing or hairstyle, particularly such as Sikhs do … is protected by law and nobody can discriminate against you because of that," Brown told some 400 Sikhs and supporters at a rally of the North American Punjabi Assn. on the steps of the Capitol. Brown also signed SB 1540, which requires the state Board of Education to consider a new history framework for schools that the governor said will include "the role and contributions of the Sikh community in California."

A series of court cases have muddied the water on what employers must do to accommodate the religious practices of workers, said Rajdeep Singh, director of law and policy for the Sikh Coalition, a national civil rights group based in New York City. The new law will clarify the requirements.

"It's needed because Sikhs and other religious minorities continue to experience job discrimination on account of their religion,'' Singh said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/guest-voices/post/celebrating-ab1964-californias-new-religious-freedom-law/2012/09/18/ad7d07fc-01e1-11e2-b260-32f4a8db9b7e_blog.html

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/judaism/FAQ/05-Worship/section-42.html
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 02:42:01 PM »
Kyle you're just being lazy and feel like shaving.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 03:14:20 PM »
Kyle you're just being lazy and feel like shaving.

Poppa Smurf had a beard:

This is a good time to relate the story of 'My three beards'...

I grew my first beard in college, and my classmates gave me the nick-name 'Poppa Smurf'. I shaved that beard after completing school and moving to California to live with my father.

I grew my second beard in the late 80s when I started following the Grateful Dead. This beard I call my 'Jerry Garcia' or 'Dead' beard... I shaved it in 2000 when I moved up to Northern California.

I grew my third (and final so far) beard in 2003 when I started my Teshuva (return) to Judaism. At that time I got the job I am still working at and I have kept this beard till today... I call it my 'Jewish' beard...

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 09:13:15 PM »

Dont you think bearded men often dont look to clean.  How many times have I seen gunk in one of those beards: stray food, dirt, things that I can't even identify.  I dont know. I dont think it has to do with feminizing men though. Lots of men who shave look like "real men"

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 10:04:44 PM »
Dont you think bearded men often dont look to clean.  How many times have I seen gunk in one of those beards: stray food, dirt, things that I can't even identify.  I dont know. I dont think it has to do with feminizing men though. Lots of men who shave look like "real men"

I beg to differ with you on this. I think that the beard is a manly thing to grow..

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
In case anyone hasn't noticed, HaRav Kahane had a full beard:

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 11:50:53 PM »
Rabbi Kahane (of blessed memory) had a beard that appears from numerous photos to be neat, clean and well kempt.  Most beards are not.  If anything wearing a beard is less manly because you have to spend a lot more time grooming the thing if you dont want to look like Conan. Shaving is easy fast and it has nothing to do with masculinity.  You see tons of "real men" who have clean shaven faces.  I dont know where you guys come up with this thing about beards are more masculine. Muman,  I know you have a beard and I am not trying to be offensive to you.  I'm sorry if that was the message conveyed.  I'm sure you are a man's man and then some 

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 01:57:31 AM »
 :usa+israel:                                                                                                                       :fist:

The beard that HaRav Meir Kahane ZT"L had enhanced his dignified and noble appearance.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 02:01:41 AM »
It is only permitted to shave with an electric razor, not a razor blade. A long beard like Chabad is only a chumra.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 02:02:19 AM »
:usa+israel:                                                                                                                       :fist:

The beard that HaRav Meir Kahane ZT"L had enhanced his dignified and noble appearance.

You see older pictures of him without a beard when he was younger.

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 02:08:13 AM »
 :usa+israel:                                                                                                    :fist:

Yes Binyamin, and he had a great appearance either way.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 02:40:47 AM »
Rabbi Kahane (of blessed memory) had a beard that appears from numerous photos to be neat, clean and well kempt.  Most beards are not.  If anything wearing a beard is less manly because you have to spend a lot more time grooming the thing if you dont want to look like Conan. Shaving is easy fast and it has nothing to do with masculinity.  You see tons of "real men" who have clean shaven faces.  I dont know where you guys come up with this thing about beards are more masculine. Muman,  I know you have a beard and I am not trying to be offensive to you.  I'm sorry if that was the message conveyed.  I'm sure you are a man's man and then some

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2280717/Beards-good-From-warding-pollen-slowing-ageing-process.html

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/beards-are-healthy-say-scientists-022113

There's power in a beard. Go ahead, place aside the armchair-and-smoking-pipe analysis about how one is "clear evidence to success, power, and public acclaim in the 21st century." Because there is now scientific evidence adding to the already-proven actual value of whiskers.

Researchers at the University of Southern Queensland, in Australia, proclaim in a new study that a bearded man's face gets hit with a third of the UV rays of his shaven compeer. The scientists built a rotating set of mannequin heads — one beardless, another with short brown hair, then a bushier counterpart as well — to place beneath cloudless skies and compare their exposures. The thicker beard very slightly outperformed the trimmer one, but both triumphed over the bare face, particularly in the upper-lip region (so mustaches are, when executed well, a viable alternative). In fact, after an hour — though keep in mind, this is the brutal Australian sun — the bald face surpassed the recommended ultraviolet exposure limit.

Look, it's no surprise that facial hair blocks out the sun. But now it's published data.

So it's settled: Beards, everyone. For health.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »
From the same article:

P.S. BUT THE BAD NEWS...

Scientific evidence shows that beards can spread infections, says Dr Ron Cutler, microbiologist at Queen Mary, University of London.

That’s why it’s important for fuzzy-faced men to wash and groom their facial hair regularly and ensure the area under the hair hasn’t become sore from ingrown hairs.

‘Men need to wash and trim their beards and moustaches regularly and make sure debris from food isn’t left around,’ adds Carol Walker.

‘Also be careful about your choice of barber, because you can get bad infections if they haven’t cleaned their tools properly.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2280717/Beards-good-From-warding-pollen-slowing-ageing-process.html#ixzz2UKpcvPA2
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

SPF all the way!

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 01:51:25 AM »
You don't have to grow a beard to observe Judaism. The full beard is just tradition, albeit a very important one for certain subgroups of Jews like Hasidim.
You are wrong it is halacha not to shave see  http://www.koshershaver.info/
A beard is not tradition it is halacha from the time of Moshe Rabbeinu.
Yes there are some rabbanim who give a heterb to shave for busisness reasons bdieved but have you ever seen any major roshei yeshiva,admorim & poskim that are clean shaven?

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 04:21:42 AM »
Rabbi Kahane didn't have a beard in the 1960s, He was a rabbi then though.

Most religious Jews that aren't charedim don't  grow beard, except if they are rabbis. In Israel almost all the rabbis grow beards. Perhaps that's why rabbi Kahane grew a beard when he made Aliyah. It looked good on him.

I know that most charedim feel they are obliged to grow beard but that is not a halachic obligation only tradition. What is forbidden is shaving with a razor. But shaving with an electric shaver, or with a trimmer, is permissible.

I could find one rabbi of high esteem in Israel who doesn't grow a beard- rabbi Aharon Lichtenstein. Unfortunately he is a leftist, I mean a real lefty not some phony right wing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aharon_Lichtenstein

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 05:37:37 AM »
Rabbi Kahane didn't have a beard in the 1960s, He was a rabbi then though.

Most religious Jews that aren't charedim don't  grow beard, except if they are rabbis. In Israel almost all the rabbis grow beards. Perhaps that's why rabbi Kahane grew a beard when he made Aliyah. It looked good on him.

I know that most charedim feel they are obliged to grow beard but that is not a halachic obligation only tradition. What is forbidden is shaving with a razor. But shaving with an electric shaver, or with a trimmer, is permissible.

I could find one rabbi of high esteem in Israel who doesn't grow a beard- rabbi Aharon Lichtenstein. Unfortunately he is a leftist, I mean a real lefty not some phony right wing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aharon_Lichtenstein.
How many big rabbis today have no beards?
None mainly the Lichtenstein & Riskin types who are sellouts anyways.
True Rav Kahane,ZT"L,HY"D did not have a beard in the old days & that is because he he relied on a heter because it was hard to get a rabbinical position in those days with a beard,however he did later on grow one as did his sons.
Lichtenstein is no gadol he is a sellout who is willing to give away land to the Arabs

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »
You are wrong it is halacha not to shave see  http://www.koshershaver.info/
A beard is not tradition it is halacha from the time of Moshe Rabbeinu.
Yes there are some rabbanim who give a heterb to shave for busisness reasons bdieved but have you ever seen any major roshei yeshiva,admorim & poskim that are clean shaven?

You can use scissors...
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 11:01:13 PM »
You can use scissors...
Minority opinion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 11:09:38 PM »
Some 'food' for thought from Chabads site:

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/931778/jewish/On-which-days-is-it-forbidden-to-shave.htm

During which holidays or times of mourning on the Jewish calendar year can I not shave? Also, when a family member passes away, for how many days/months is the mourner forbidden to shave?

Answer:

Before responding to your question, a few prefatory comments:

1 - It is always forbidden for a man to shave his beard with a razor, or a razor-like implement (that completely removes facial hair)—as per Leviticus 19:27: "You shall not destroy the corners of your beard." If you shave, speak to your rabbi to determine which shavers are halachically permitted for use.

2 - There are Halachic authorities (including the Tzemach Tzedek, third Chabad Rebbe) who opine that cutting any part of the beard, even without a razor-like implement, falls under the prohibition of cross-dressing. This opinion is especially followed by Chabad chassidim.

3 - Though there may be halachically acceptable ways to shave, Kabbalah attaches great importance to the beard, and teaches that growing a beard makes one a beneficiary of G‑d's infinite compassion. (For more on this, see Why don't chassidic men shave their beards?)

As you pointed out in your question, there are certain days and periods on the Jewish calendar when shaving and trimming (or taking haircuts) is not permitted.

First and foremost, it is forbidden to shave on Shabbat and biblical holidays (Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, first and last days of Sukkot and Passover, and Shavuot). Cutting hair on these days falls under the category of gozez (shearing)—one of the 39 forbidden categories of work. There is no leniency whatsoever with regards to this prohibition.

On the following days we also don't shave. Nevertheless, if there is pressing reason to shave (such as potential loss of a job) a rabbi should be consulted:

* Chol Hamoed, the "intermediate days" of Sukkot and Passover.

* The Omer period observed between Passover and Shavout when we mourn the death of the students of Rabbi Akiva. Exactly when this mourning period begins and ends depends on community custom, click here for more on this topic.

* The "Three Weeks" between the seventeenth of Tammuz and midday of the tenth of Av, when our nation mourns the destruction of the Temples and Jerusalem. Many Sephardim, however, shave until the actual week of the Ninth of Av.

* It is also customary not to shave on Rosh Chodesh (the one or two day semi-holiday marking the beginning of the Jewish month), as per the instructions of Rabbi Yehudah Hachassid.

One who is, G‑d forbid, mourning a deceased next of kin – sibling, spouse, or child – doesn't shave for the first thirty days. There are different customs regarding one who is mourning the passing of a parent (when the mourning period is extended); a rabbi should be consulted to ascertain the prevailing community tradition.

I hope that I've been helpful today. Please feel free to reply.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 11:11:03 PM »
See also http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-mitzvos-shavers.htm

Electric Shavers

Rabbi Moshe Heinemann, Star-K Rabbinic Administrator

Since the Star-K often receives questions regarding the use of electric shavers, this article will address the halachic concerns of removing one's facial hair.  The Torah states "לא תאקפו פאת ראשכם ולא תשחית את פאת זקנך" , Do not round the corners of one's head, and do not destroy the corner of one's beardויקרא י"ט כ) ). The Torah continues, "ופאת זקנם לא יגלחו" (ויקרא כ"א ה ) and the corner of one's beard they shall not shave.

What are the actions of forbidden facial hair removal?  The Mishna in מכות discusses which methods of removing facial hair are forbidden. הקפה, "rounding", refers to the complete removal of hair from the temple area.  Whereas the terms גילוח, "shaving", and השחתה , "destroying" refer to forbidden forms of removing one's beard.

The Mishna does not offer a practical explanation of these actions.  Do these terms refer to the cutting of hair using different types of shaving implements, or do these actions refer to different degrees of hair removal using the same shaving implement?  There is much discussion about these concepts amongst halachic authorities, yet, the consensus of opinion is that these forbidden violations of הקפה, גילוח and השחתה are achieved by using shaving implements that have different cutting abilities to cut one's facial hair.

The shaving implements that are discussed in שלחן ערוך י"ד; סימן קפ"א are:

מספרים- scissors, a dual edged cutting instrument whose blades work in unison to remove hair growth. Scissors generally do not have the ability to cut the hair close to the skin.
תער - the razor sharp straight-edged blade that is an extremely efficient means of hair removal.
מספרים כעין תער - a scissor or scissor-like instrument that delivers a closer cut, which is similar to but not as effective as a תער.
As mentioned earlier, there are varied opinions amongst the Poskim as to which shaving instruments are permitted to be used to cut a particular area of hair growth.  Putting the merits of having or keeping long פאות aside, the shaving of the temple area, halachic authorities are generally in agreement that scissors, because they do not give a close cut, would be permissible to be used for the פאות area and would not qualify for a violation ofהקפת הראש .  Cutting one's פאות with a razor is forbidden. Therefore, taking a razor-cut haircut in the פאות area would constitute a violation of הקפה.

מספרים כעין תער , for example a pair of clippers, is questionable.  The Shulchan Aruch says we should take a stringent rather than lenient position with scissor-like instruments.  Therefore, scissors would be the only permissible shaving instrument to trim the temple area.

The issue of shaving the beard area is more involved since we have two actions working in concert,  גילוחand השחתה .  What is meant by the termהשחתה , destroying the hair? According to the Chochmas Odam, השחתה   is defined as the process of removing the entire facial hair below the skin.  Obviously, plucking out a hair removes the hair below the skin.  Can "below the skin" hair removal be achieved with a straight-edge razor blade?

The hair shaft grows under the skin, as well as above the skin.  When one shaves with a razor, the skin is pulled taut actually exposing the hair growing below the skin.  The razor runs against the hair grain in the opposite direction of the pulled skin lopping off the exposed hair.  When the taut skin relaxes, the hair is actually cut below the skin.  This is the definition of השחתה .  גילוח is simply any normal method of shaving.

Alternative effective methods of beard removal e.g. electrolysis, depilatory, or tweezers would definitely qualify for השחתה but would not qualify as a means of shaving, גילוח ; therefore, they would be halachically permissible.

On the other hand, scissors qualify as a normal means of shaving.  Since you can only cut a beard to a stubble, when using this method, the other criteria of השחתה would not be fulfilled. Scissors, therefore, would be a halachically permissible method to "shave" one's beard, providing that the blade nearer to the skin is not sharp enough to cut by itself.

Based on the above, the razor blade, the תער , is the classic example of a shaving instrument that the Torah forbids.  The Gemara definitively states this position clearly, that shaving is forbidden with a דבר שהוא משחית וזהו תער .  According to all halachic authorities, the razor fulfills both prohibitions of גילוח and השחתה and is forbidden to be used.

Seemingly, any shaving implement that effectively cuts hair below the skin would also be categorized as a תער , regardless of whether the shaving implement is single or double edged.  As long as the hair is cut below the skin, one would violate both actions of גילוח and השחתה .  Any shaving instrument giving a less effective cut, where the hair is not cut below the skin but even with the skin, would be categorized as a מספרים כעין תער cut.

In summary the three levels of גילוח are:

מספרים - that cuts above the skin, a shaving process that does not qualify for השחתה of the beard.
מספרים כעין תער - that cut at skin level, which would also not qualify for השחתה .
תער - that cuts below the skin creating גילוח and השחתה , the Torah's forbidden combination of hair removal.
How would the electric shaver fare in the kosher shaving arena?  The electric shaver is a relatively recent introduction to the shaving scene.  Prior to the shaver, the only practical method of kosher beard removal was the use of shaving powder.  The powder was mixed with water and made a very offensive smelling paste that was spread on one's face and ate away the person's facial hair. One had to be careful to remove the paste in haste so that only facial hair, and not facial skin, would be removed.

The electric shaver seemed to be a welcome technical halachic introduction, although shaving in general has not been without controversy.  However, those halachic authorities that permitted shaving with electric shavers did so because it seemed to fulfill all halachic requirements.  The shaver was made up of a vibrating head and screen, with the beard hair passed between the cutting edges of the screen and the vibrating head; the hair is cut off in a scissor-like cutting fashion between head and screen.  The shave was closer than manual scissors, since the shaver cut the beard close to the skin, yet it never effectively gave a smooth shave because they were not as powerful as they are today.

As shavers became more sophisticated, they also became more halachically challenging.  With some models, the stronger motors made the head vibrate faster and cut the beard closer.  The lift and cut shaving systems that evolved from the older Norelco Triplehead system claimed that they could shave as close as a razor. As the skin was held taut, the shaver alleged to cut the beard below the skin like a תער .  Although shaving professionals will admit that the closeness of one's shave depends upon a person's beard conditions and texture, realistically, the system works better in theory than in practice.

Hagaon R' Moshe Feinstein זצ"ל was of the opinion that the  גמרא 's statement - איזהו גילוח שיש בו השחתה הוי אומר זה  is teaching us that only the תער , the straight-edged razor, is the Torah's forbidden form of השחתה and גילוח .  Any other method of השחתה and גילוח would be permitted.  Based on this fundamental understanding of the גמרא , electric shavers would be permitted even if the shaver removed facial hair beneath the skin, since the shaver works in a scissor-like and not razor-like action.

However, due to the increased sharpness of the blades of the rotating heads it is conceivable that the blades could cut the beard hairs off before the combined cutting of blade and screen.  Therefore, even according to the Poskim that permit electric shavers, this shaver would be problematic, because it would be cutting like a תער , which is אסור .  Can one practically determine whether the shaver in question is a kosher model?

Hagaon R' Moshe Feinstein זצ"ל , who permitted the use of electric shavers used a criteria similar to the shochet who would demonstrate how sharp his חלף (shechita knife) was.  To show the sharp edge of his knife, a shochet would take a hair from his beard, and holding the hair in one hand the shochet would see whether the חלף cut the dangling hair.  If the hair was severed, the shochet's steel passed the test.

So too, in a similar manner, R' Moshe would often test the sharpness of an electric shaver's blades.  He would take a beard hair and test the blades!  The shaver would be acceptable if the hair was held taut and was not split in half.

The only practical suggestion that can be given to one whose shaver failed this test is to dull the blades.   This can be done by taking a key or some other hard, flat instrument and running it along the sharp edge of the blade.  Obviously, this shaver will not work as well; nevertheless, it is still effective and will transform a previously questionable shaver into one that is acceptable by the Poskim who permit the use of shavers.