Author Topic: Computer/Internet issues  (Read 2641 times)

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
Computer/Internet issues
« on: June 09, 2013, 08:28:01 PM »
I was speaking to my mom today and she was saying more and more how the government, at least as portrayed by recent events in the News media, is diving into people's internet and phone use.  I told her that anyone who posts foolish, illegal and immoral things online shouldn't be doing that anyway, never mind doing it, but that did she think freedom of speech was such an issue?  I mean if someone responds in kind to vicious Islamic anti-Semitism while reflecting back to them that they seem to love and worship hate, how could this possible be seen as not every free person's right?  I remember people posting here oon this who know light years more than myself.  Should we be protecting ourselves somehow from this invasion of completely legitimate cases of privacy where people are responding to hatred, etc?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Computer/Internet issues
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 08:30:06 PM »
Read the George Orwell book 1984 and ask yourself if you can trust the government...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 08:34:31 PM »
Read the George Orwell book 1984 and ask yourself if you can trust the government...

I read this many years ago and I do understand that.  So how should be browsing if everything we look at is also being 'looked at?'  I understand this for terrorists, but isn't this a gross waste of manpower to be observing the rest of us?

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 08:38:55 PM »
If you think that the government isn't checking out this site, you don't know what you are talking about.

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 07:08:11 AM »
I read this many years ago and I do understand that.  So how should be browsing if everything we look at is also being 'looked at?'  I understand this for terrorists, but isn't this a gross waste of manpower to be observing the rest of us?

One man's terrorist is another man's patriot. Be careful how much power you give your government when people you support run it. They will not run it forever.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 09:33:24 AM »
I think the Ginni is out of the bottle already and I suggest to anyone to always assume that his communication lines and even personal files on his computer are compromised. So modify your behavior according to how paranoid or concerned you are for your privacy.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »
Don't put your name on the internet and hide your ip. The government can be lousy, but your info gives anyone power over you.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 07:10:20 PM »
The sages of our Talmud (Oral Law) were wise when they advised (in the Ethics of the Fathers) :

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/2011/jewish/Chapter-Two.htm

Rabban Gamliel the son of Rabbi Judah HaNassi would say:
3. Be careful with the government, for they befriend a person only for their own needs. They appear to be friends when it is beneficial to them, but they do not stand by a person at the time of his distress.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 07:28:17 PM »
I am not paranoid at this time. I believe that I am exercising my Constitutional right as an American citizen and using my voice and keyboard to express my opinion. I do not condone violence or armed insurrection against any American institution. I still believe that it is possible to make change within the rules of the existing system.

I am fully aware of the technological abilities of our government, and I do believe they have over-reached and are behaving like Big Brother (of 1984) and I hope that through democratic means we can reign in the powers that be. It is surely scary to contemplate the power which has been placed in the hands of those who run the information systems of our current world, it is like a double-edged sword.

I do what it takes to protect personal information (SSN, License ID, passwords, etc.) and I even encrypt some of my personal writings because I believe I have a right to privacy. We have discussed here at JTF the use of PGP/GPG (Pretty Good Protection/Gnu Privacy Guard) to encrypt messages which are sent via email. I still consider it overkill for most email applications (sending letters to mom, sending pictures, etc.) but for private business which others may be trying to hack, it is advisable to use some encryption...

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 09:21:36 PM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 09:25:37 PM »

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 09:28:25 PM »

Where did this image come from?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 09:35:15 PM »
Where did this image come from?

Russian Jews facebook page.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 09:36:16 PM »

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 09:37:04 PM »
Russian Jews facebook page.
Really?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 09:44:05 PM »
Really?

No I beat a muzzrat until he was blue, black and red and made it smudge it on a piece of paper before scanning it.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 09:45:06 PM »
Really?

p.s. you know my policy for dumb questions.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 10:04:37 PM »

Dumb questions deserve dumb answers...

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 10:08:21 PM »
Dumb questions deserve dumb answers...

Uman is level 3.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 10:10:56 PM »
Some concrete advice on how to do this please.  Thank you.  I mean regarding my internet privacy.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 10:13:48 PM »
Some concrete advice on how to do this please.  Thank you.  I mean regarding my internet privacy.

ack showed me this https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 10:22:08 PM »
Do you know why I asked the question, rocket?

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 10:59:03 PM »
Do you know why I asked the question, rocket?

Alright it's your opening; touché me.