Author Topic: Al Tira : Do Not Fear  (Read 2101 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Al Tira : Do Not Fear
« on: June 25, 2013, 02:35:23 AM »
Another musical thread... I was thinking about the prayer 'Al Tira' which we recite after Mussaf Amidah on Shabbat and these videos came to mind...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Al Tira : Do Not Fear
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 03:00:16 AM »
Interestingly, I just learned that the words to Al Tira which are in our prayers come from a Purim story.

This is interesting:

http://www.sichosinenglish.org/books/vedibarta-bam/megillat-esther-04.htm

"And went out into the midst of the city." (4:1)

QUESTION: The Midrash Rabbah (7:16) relates that after Haman had the evil decree written and signed, Mordechai met three children returning home from yeshivah and asked them, "What did you learn today?" The first child quoted the pasuk, "Al tira mipachad pitom" — "Do not fear sudden terror" (Proverbs, 3:25). The second one mentioned the pasuk, "Utzu eitzah vetufar dabru davar velo yakum ki imanu Keil" — "They will make plans, but it will be foiled; they will discuss plans, but it will not materialize, for G-d is with us" (Isaiah 8:10). The third child quoted the pasuk, "Ve'ad ziknah ani hu ve'ad seivah ani esbol...ve'amaleit" — "Until old age I am with you, to your aged years I will sustain you ... and deliver you" (Isaiah 46:4). Upon hearing this Mordechai was very happy. What good tidings did Mordechai see in the words of the children?

ANSWER: The Jewish people were confronted by Amalek three times:

1) Upon leaving Egypt, they were suddenly attacked by Amalek (Devarim 25:18, Rashi).

2) Years later Amalek again attempted to wage war against the Jewish people. To prevent the Jews from identifying his people in their prayers for Hashem's assistance, he ordered his soldiers to use the Canaanite language (Bamidbar 21:1, Rashi).

3) Haman was a descendant of Amalek, and he viciously planned the annihilation of the Jewish people.

Mordechai understood the words of the first child, "Do not fear sudden terror..." as an allusion to Amalek's first attack. The second child's message, "dabru davar velo yakum" — "they will speak, but it will not materialize" — was that regardless of Amalek's attempts to disguise himself and change his dialect, it would be to no avail because Hashem was with the Jewish people.

When Haman discussed his evil plans for the Jews with his advisors, they told him, "Don't be a fool! Whenever someone has sought to harm these people, their G-d has come to their salvation and destroyed the enemy. Stay away from them or you will suffer the consequences." Haman presumptuously told them, "There is nothing to fear; their G-d is now old and weak and unable to help them" (Midrash, ibid.). Mordechai understood the words of the third child as a message from Hashem: "Although Haman thinks that I am old, I have not changed; I will carry, sustain, and save the Jewish people now and at all times."

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Al Tira : Do Not Fear
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 03:12:27 AM »
This is the Chabad Niggun:

http://m.chabad.org/m/article_cdo/aid/265780

Transliteration:

Al tiroh mipachad pis-om umi-sho-as re-shoim ki sovo. Utzu etza ve-sufor dabru dovor v'lo yo-kum ki imonu Kel. V'ad zikno ani hu, v'ad sei-voh ani esbol, ani osisi v'ani eso v'ani esbol va-ama-let. Ach tzadikim yodu lish-mecho yei-shvu yesho-rim es ponecha.

Translation:

Be not afraid of sudden terror, or of the darkness of the wicked when it will come. Take counsel and it will be foiled; speak a word and it will not succeed, for G-d is with us. And until old age I am the same, and until you turn gray I will carry; I have made and I will bear and I will carry and deliver. But the righteous will thank Your name; the upright will sit before You.