Author Topic: Please Pray For My Father  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: Please Pray For My Father
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 04:32:01 PM »
Thank you everyone!  You guys are awesome!

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 04:49:01 PM »
Lisa I'm deeply, deeply sorry to hear this. May your father have a full and speedy recovery! I will pray for him daily!

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 04:51:14 PM »
Last night when i say shema i davind for you father.I always pray for people when i say shema
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 06:36:40 PM »
בס''ד

I am so sorry, Lisa.

Refuah shlemah (complete recovery) for your father beezrat Hashem (G-d willing).

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 07:20:25 PM »
Hey everyone. 

He's going to see another doctor tomorrow.  I hope that what he has is treatable at his age.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 05:23:46 PM »
Just an update. 

My sisters went with him and my mother to the doctor this morning.  The doctor said he doesn't have to spend the month in the hospital, and that he can get chemotherapy five days a month.  Plus the doctor will also give him some kind of blood boosters.  But still no word on how advanced the cancer is, or whether or not it can be put in remission.  My father will go back on Monday, at which point the doctor will have the complete test results. 

My sisters now seem to accept that what will be will be.  They think this news is good.  But I still feel depressed.  I guess it's because I know that his time is now limited, which I've always taken for granted. 

Also, a friend of my sister was telling me today that the pain never really goes away when you get older...probably because you appreciate their wisdom, and everything they went through.

What do you guys think?

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 06:28:17 PM »
I think you should try to act normal around your father.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 09:39:16 PM »
I think you should try to act normal around your father.

I think Zelhar's right.  I was going to give you some inadvertently not as good advice. Your father, he is here with us, he is living.  Some leukemias have good prognoses, but I mean I would feel JUST AS you do Lisa if I were in your situation.  I do think Zelhar/s advice is the stronger and better advice.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2013, 05:45:09 AM »
Zelhar is right... Your father may respond well to the treatment and go on for some time to come... In the larger picture there is not much to do but make the most of whatever time G-d allows... Try to keep your fathers outlook positive and try to enjoy each day as it comes... I think the key to sucsess for the best outcome is for the person to just make the illness a secondary issue and go on with life to the best of their ability... Some years back I had a neighbor that lived on the other end of my street  who was suffering from multiple heart conditions and some form of cancer or another... When I first heard the extent of her medical problems I figured her time to be short... This lady went on for years... She had a ramshacked summer house with a large property that she in inherited from her parents and loved to come to it on the weekends... She and her little dog would spend their time going from one yardsale to the other all weekend long... This is what she liked to do and it kept her going.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013, 05:36:50 PM »
I will pray for your father Lisa.
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2013, 07:52:49 PM »
Just as an FYI I did tell some friends to lift him up in prayer, Lisa. Any more updates?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »
He's going to see the doctor again on Monday.  I'm going to try and be strong for him.  I guess that's all I can do.   I mean, I would be in even worse shape if the doctor said he had to be in the hospital for a month. 

Anyway, you guys are the best.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 09:53:26 PM »
He's going to see the doctor again on Monday.  I'm going to try and be strong for him.  I guess that's all I can do.   I mean, I would be in even worse shape if the doctor said he had to be in the hospital for a month. 

Anyway, you guys are the best.

Stay strong Lisa.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2013, 01:13:15 AM »
So what is his mother's name?  (it is customary to pray for healing for someone using the formula so-and-so, son of _____ (mother's name))

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2013, 01:50:17 AM »
So what is his mother's name?  (it is customary to pray for healing for someone using the formula so-and-so, son of _____ (mother's name))

I knew of a man who once became very sick, and his family also added an extra name to his name. Has anyone heard of this?

Lisa, may your father recover soon and that his treatments be successful!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2013, 03:03:44 AM »
I knew of a man who once became very sick, and his family also added an extra name to his name. Has anyone heard of this?

Lisa, may your father recover soon and that his treatments be successful!

Of course I have heard of this...

http://www.jewishanswers.org/?p=859

Adding a hebrew name

What is the basis for adding a new Hebrew name to an existing name for someone who has a serious illness?

“Rav Yitzchak said: Four things tear up the decree against a person, and these are them: Tzedaka (charity); crying out (in prayer); changing one’s name; changing one’s deeds, and some say even changing one’s residence” (Talmud, Rosh Hashanah 16b). As a precedent, the Talmud points out that our Matriarch Sarah was destined to be childless until G-d changed her name (in Genesis 17).

From here, the Rema teaches that it is proper to change the name of a very sick person, to tear up the decree against them (Shulchan Aruch, Yoreh Deah 335:10).

Why does changing one’s name help? The commentaries offer several different reasons. Among them: a drastic act like changing one’s name can influence a person to change many other things about him or herself, thus leading to Teshuva (repentance). Further, changing one’s name changes a person’s mazal, the flow of spiritual energy to that person.

Generally, changing someone’s name is only advised for a very sick person. A Torah sage should be consulted (indeed, a sage should already have been consulted for guidance long before things reached this level). There is a formula for how exactly to go about the name change, found in more detailed Siddurim (prayer books). It involves gathering ten men to recite Tehilim (Psalms) and saying a prayer for the sick person using his or her new name. The new name is usually an extra name added before the old name (i.e. “Yosef” may become “Chaim Yosef”). It is often a name suited to bring extra blessing (like Chaim [meaning “living”], Raphael [“G-d heals him”], Baruch [“blessed”]).
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2013, 11:50:48 AM »
Eliahu Ben Malka.