Author Topic: Famous breakfast cereal 'comes out of closet'  (Read 9374 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Famous breakfast cereal 'comes out of closet'
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 01:20:10 AM »
As I tried to convey to you before, there is a machloket over whether gelatin is kosher or not.    Regardless of whether it says bovine, fish, etc.   Gelatin which some rabbis say is not kosher, some other rabbis say it is.  That is also regardless of whether a box has a K on it.    So, what I mean is, the same gelatin ingredient that one rabbi says is Not-kosher, another rabbi believes it is kosher and can be eaten.

There are many Jews out there, myself included, who do not care if the box has a certification agency's symbol on it, IF the ingredients are all kosher.    So then the K or OK or No K are all irrelevant.    I sometimes use kashrut.org where people list out ingredients and the expert poskim there let them know if all the ingredients are kosher or not, so that I can eat certain products which ARE kosher but at the same time do not have a certification from an agency as being such.

There are certain foods that are known to be kosher even without a hashgacha. This includes soda such as Coca-Cola or Pepsi. Pepsi where I live just has the letter K but it's known to be kosher and the local plant is under the locally accepted Orthodox hashgacha. In Europe, people rely on lists of products that are known to be okay. But in the US, it's very easy to find products in the store that have a reliable hashgacha on them. Probably most items that are eligible to be certified are in fact certified.

Offline Nachus

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 10:20:42 PM »
 :usa+israel:                                                                                                                    :fist:

These types of cereals are very unhealthy and as for that horrendous affliction, Lo Aleinu, 
 may all the righteous be happy but certainly not gay!

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 12:19:47 AM »
But in the US, it's very easy to find products in the store that have a reliable hashgacha on them.

Some cases yes, some cases no.  Good luck trying to find a kosher mozzarella cheese if it's not within a large Jewish community and/or kosher grocery store itself.    I learned some very interesting things about mozzarella on kashrut.org that I never would have thought of.   You have to realize, that not everyone lives in the heart of Brooklyn NY or Lakewood NJ to have all these kosher products available at arm's length.

Probably most items that are eligible to be certified are in fact certified.

No.  That's not true.   Peruse kashrut.org Q&A and you will see many many US products that do not have certification for one reason or another, and yet all the ingredients are kosher.   Some of the items are problematic and they respond "not kosher" but many many of the entries there get a response saying all ingredients are kosher.    And I have used that site because I know that to be the case.

There are a lot of politics swept up in the kashrut industry - not only kashrut-specific politics but also rabbinic politics in general that are swept up into it.  Don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 12:26:09 AM »

I meant you're helping General Mills commit the sin of promoting homosexuality. Machsom Lifnei Iver. Although if they're not Jewish, I don't know if that applies.

Maybe you're helping them (General Mills) help people (homos) sin.

I don't believe that having rainbow marshmellows in their cereal, even despite their stated intentions, in any way helps a person commit forbidden sexual acts.   And that is aside from the fact that Jewish commandments (lifnei Iver) don't apply to non-Jewish companies.

As to their sin of promoting homosexuality, well, that may be, but I'm not sure that my decision as a consumer to spend $1.50 on a single cereal box will have any impact whatsoever on whether or not their gay promotion is profitable (and therefore whether they decide to keep doing it, which anyway is possibly completely independent of whether it's profitable and could simply be their own leftist agenda) or whether their multibillion dollar company is profitable overall.    Especially with regards to people who Already Ate this cereal and already routinely bought it, they won't be pouring any additional money into GM's coffers by continuing to do so despite their new gay campaign.    I can also accept the idea of protesting their gay parade by not buying the cereal anymore, but it just seems like quite a stretch to suggest that is absolutely mandated by this situation.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 05:53:22 PM »
If you are eating it, you should at least throw away the rainbow pieces. Why eat gay food?

Again, if rainbows are meant to be part of nature (Like the Moon or Sun shapes.), it's not a problem but their motive was to promote homosexuality, not the love of nature or G-d's creations. Real rainbows are opposed to homosexuality. The Flood was caused partially due to homosexuality. I wonder if the homos know that or they specifically take the rainbow to spit in the face of religion.

Online Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 06:57:09 PM »
I can't believe that the gays are even making eating breakfast cereal gay.  Who here is sick over the gay agenda?

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2013, 09:27:11 PM »
If you are eating it, you should at least throw away the rainbow pieces. Why eat gay food?
lol what?  Please tell me you are not serious.  You are joking right?

Again, if rainbows are meant to be part of nature (Like the Moon or Sun shapes.), it's not a problem but their motive was to promote homosexuality, not the love of nature or G-d's creations. Real rainbows are opposed to homosexuality. The Flood was caused partially due to homosexuality. I wonder if the homos know that or they specifically take the rainbow to spit in the face of religion.

You're not being clear.  Are the rainbow marshmellows sodomizing people or not?  Make up your mind.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »
I said that if the intent of putting rainbow marshmallows in the cereal was to honor homosexuality, we shouldn't eat it, even though technically it would be permitted if made from kosher ingredients. If the intent to put rainbow marshmallows was just for fun like the other shapes (Moon, Sun, etc...), then there would be no problem eating it at all, assuming it's kosher.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2013, 10:43:34 PM »
I said that if the intent of putting rainbow marshmallows in the cereal was to honor homosexuality, we shouldn't eat it, even though technically it would be permitted if made from kosher ingredients. If the intent to put rainbow marshmallows was just for fun like the other shapes (Moon, Sun, etc...), then there would be no problem eating it at all, assuming it's kosher.

How about just refraining from eating the cereal period? Not just the "gay pieces." Whatever that means.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2013, 11:03:39 PM »
http://machonshilo.org/en/eng/list-ask-the-rav/27-kashrut/390-is-gelatin-kosher

Is Gelatin Kosher?         
WRITTEN BY WEBMASTER      
MONDAY, 28 JUNE 2010 20:26

Question:

Rav Bar-Hayim – I remember a tshuva by Rav Abadi saying that gelatin in all its forms is completely kosher and parve, and that this is true for all Jews, Ashkenazi, Sepharadi etc. What is your view?

Answer:

1.    I concur with HaRav Abadi regarding this matter (and many others). All forms of gelatin are mutar because it is a tasteless substance - see Rambam's MT Y'sodhe HaTora 5:11 (5:8 in some editions). (What Rambam writes elsewhere – Ma’akhaloth Asuroth 4:22 (4:18 in some editions) – is not analogous. There the bones etc. are in their original form; here it is processed and refined to the point that it becomes an entirely different substance.)
2.    This has nothing to do with whether one is Temani, S'pharadhi or Ashk'nazi. It is however true that many Ashk'nazi rabbis are unnecessarily (and some would say, obsessively) stringent.
3.    Many great and well known Rabanim have declared that gelatin is kasher, including Rav Yoseph Eliyahu Henkin, Rav Hayim Ozer Grodzhinsky, Rav Ssvi Pesah Frank, et al. Their arguments are clear and incisive, whereas, in my view, the arguments of those who later disagreed are unconvincing, and they themselves were unsure about the matter.

Rabbi David Bar-Hayim
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2013, 11:05:21 PM »

Your that afraid that some cereal pieces will make you gay or something?

:::D

Anyway KWRBT thanks and no thanks for pointing out that the cereal is kosher. I didn't eat it for many years and even threw away the boxes when it came as part of different cereals (the small boxes combined together) but this was some time ago even before I knew of R' Abadi and thought it wasn't kosher (I didn't even know about this particularly until now). On the other hand I don't know if I would buy this cereal individually now after this gay sh^t.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2013, 11:39:39 PM »
I don't think anyone here should eat that junk, period!

Why would any good person put that stuff into his or her body? 

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2013, 11:47:27 PM »
How about just refraining from eating the cereal period? Not just the "gay pieces." Whatever that means.

Well people were saying how it's okay to eat the gay pieces and that they are kosher. I said it's not in an issue because it's not under reliable hashgacha but if it was, it would present a problem. Even if not a Halachic problem, it would be a philosophic or Hashkafic problem. On the other hand, there are those that say boycott that cereal or boycott the whole company. I think they make many things, not just cereals. I don't know if it's possible that we should boycott every little thing they make.

But I think it's crazy that they put the gay stuff in the cereals. I guess they are homosexual pedophiles trying to indoctrinate little kids that eat the cereal. Most cereals are usually geared towards kids. It should be considered child abuse.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 11:49:59 PM »
http://machonshilo.org/en/eng/list-ask-the-rav/27-kashrut/390-is-gelatin-kosher

Is Gelatin Kosher?         
WRITTEN BY WEBMASTER      
MONDAY, 28 JUNE 2010 20:26

Question:

Rav Bar-Hayim – I remember a tshuva by Rav Abadi saying that gelatin in all its forms is completely kosher and parve, and that this is true for all Jews, Ashkenazi, Sepharadi etc. What is your view?

Answer:

1.    I concur with HaRav Abadi regarding this matter (and many others). All forms of gelatin are mutar because it is a tasteless substance - see Rambam's MT Y'sodhe HaTora 5:11 (5:8 in some editions). (What Rambam writes elsewhere – Ma’akhaloth Asuroth 4:22 (4:18 in some editions) – is not analogous. There the bones etc. are in their original form; here it is processed and refined to the point that it becomes an entirely different substance.)
2.    This has nothing to do with whether one is Temani, S'pharadhi or Ashk'nazi. It is however true that many Ashk'nazi rabbis are unnecessarily (and some would say, obsessively) stringent.
3.    Many great and well known Rabanim have declared that gelatin is kasher, including Rav Yoseph Eliyahu Henkin, Rav Hayim Ozer Grodzhinsky, Rav Ssvi Pesah Frank, et al. Their arguments are clear and incisive, whereas, in my view, the arguments of those who later disagreed are unconvincing, and they themselves were unsure about the matter.

Rabbi David Bar-Hayim

Interesting.....I have recently stopped taking my several supplements because they contain gelatin. AND for the 9 Days, did not buy another supplement because one of the contents state that each capsule has "Bovine Gelatin".

But this is ok then?

I don't think anyone here should eat that junk, period!

Why would any good person put that stuff into his or her body? 

That's true. These cereals are all junk. I usually end up getting low sugar oatmeal now since many cereals contain too much sugar. I might as well just have cookies and milk for breakfast! I would suggest cream of wheat, oatmeal and some high fiber natural cereals. Add some fruit in it, sliced apples, berries or bananas. It's much better than buying most junk cereals. Weetabix does it for me.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2013, 11:57:12 PM »
Interesting.....I have recently stopped taking my several supplements because they contain gelatin. AND for the 9 Days, did not buy another supplement because one of the contents state that each capsule has "Bovine Gelatin".

But this is ok then? 

Guess that will depend on whether "bovine gelatin" is the same thing as gelatin.   Try emailing your question to Rabbi Bar Hayim, or if you can find a nearby Rav that knows the issue.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2013, 11:59:23 PM »
I think supplements are okay for the Nine Days since they are not a food item. If they are swallowed whole, it's not an issue. Also, there's no problem if the meat is less than 1/60th. The rabbi here said that's why you can use meat dishes for pareve food now.

Even on Passover, we are permitted to take pills with chametz if it's swallowed whole because it's not a food item. Obviously there are more leniencies about these issues for the Nine Days than during Passover since Passover is Torah Law and this is only Rabbinic. It might only be a tradition rather than Halacha anyway. Originally the prohibition was just Erev Tisha B'Av but people added the no meat rule to the whole Nine Days.

Also, the rabbi said if for health reasons you need to eat meat, it's better to eat chicken than beef. I used to eat poultry during the Nine Days but not red meat. Now I don't eat either.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 12:00:08 AM »

Well people were saying how it's okay to eat the gay pieces 

I am at once amused and astounded.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 12:01:30 AM »
Yes I will have to reach out to my rav.

I assume bovine gelatin is just regular gelatin but using a bones from a cow. It just specified that it is not from chicken or pork bones.

Yet the quote did say:

There the bones etc. are in their original form; here it is processed and refined to the point that it becomes an entirely different substance.

Yet I also heard that some gelatin is made using the animal's skin as well. So, I would be obviously concerned. Yes I will ask my Rabbi more about this.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 12:03:05 AM »
I am at once amused and astounded.

What should they be called then? Rainbows promoting homosexuality? Rainbows hijacked by homosexuals to promote homosexuality rather than the Noahide Laws which is what real rainbows are?

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 12:10:01 AM »
Yes I will have to reach out to my rav.

I assume bovine gelatin is just regular gelatin but using a bones from a cow. It just specified that it is not from chicken or pork bones.

Yet the quote did say:

Yet I also heard that some gelatin is made using the animal's skin as well. So, I would be obviously concerned. Yes I will ask my Rabbi more about this.

I opened a new thread about it so we don't have to discuss it in relation to the homos.

http://jtf.org/forum/index.php/topic,70364.0.html

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 07:27:35 PM »

But this is ok then?

If it is a tasteless supplement (not the chewable flavored kinds) it is Muttar (allowed) . It has been said both by Rav Bar Haim and by Rav Abaddi.  (among others).

Response here  (Rav Bar-Haim)
 http://machonshilo.org/en/eng/list-ask-the-rav/27-kashrut/548-vitamins-a-medications-during-the-year-and-during-pesah

(Rav Abaddi)

http://kashrut.org/forum/viewpost.asp?mid=37033&highlight=

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 01:02:25 AM »
      If it is a tasteless supplement (not the chewable flavored kinds) it is Muttar (allowed) . It has been said both by Rav Bar Haim and by Rav Abaddi.  (among others).

http://machonshilo.org/en/eng/list-ask-the-rav/27-kashrut/548-vitamins-a-medications-during-the-year-and-during-pesah

(Rav Abaddi)

Hazak uBaruch

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 01:09:51 AM »

(Rav Abaddi)

Thank you.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 02:40:01 AM »
I still giggle from time to time when I think of the phrase 'gay little pieces of cereal'....
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »

The moon and sun shapes are probably supposed to be a pagan reference actually. Then again so are "Lucky Charms".