Author Topic: Why is it that I can't find knishes here in Israel?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Why is it that I can't find knishes here in Israel?
« on: July 10, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »
I have been here in Israel for 8 years as of date I not found any?
Most Israelis have absolutely no idea what they are.
Only those of us that are from the US,Canada or Europe know.
What makes bourekas,chumous,techina & felafel any more Jewish than knishes?
Well at least they know what gefilte fish,cholent & kishka is so no st bad ;D

Online Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Why is it that I can't find knishes here in Israel?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:02:38 PM »
I haven't heard of knish. Now that I googled it, I don't think I miss anything. In Israel we have the bourekas and the kube, which are similar junk stuffed doughs.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:11:32 PM »
I haven't heard of knish. Now that I googled it, I don't think I miss anything. In Israel we have the bourekas and the kube, which are similar junk stuffed doughs.
How is it that you never heard of a knish?
Any Jew born outside of Israel knows what it it is unless they were born in some Arab country but if they were born in North America,South America or Europe the know what it is.
Knishes as way better than bourekas IMHO.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 03:16:30 PM »
Any Jew born outside of Israel knows what it it is unless they were born in some Arab country but if they were born in North America,South America or Europe the know what it is.

I feel sorry for Zelhar never having had a Knish.... Boy I look forward to Knishes made by my Rabbis wife...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 03:20:02 PM »
I feel sorry for Zelhar never having had a Knish.... Boy I look forward to Knishes made by my Rabbis wife...

Maybe I can get my mother to bring some from NY next time she visits.

Online Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 04:21:55 PM »
Maybe it was made popular by Jewish immigrants from east Europe after they had arrived in America.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 04:59:28 PM »
Maybe it was made popular by Jewish immigrants from east Europe after they had arrived in America.

That is true... It was mainly a traditional dish of Ashkenazi who emigrated to America... But as I said in a previous thread about this topic, it sure provides a great business opportunity..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 11:26:48 PM »
בס''ד

Israeli Jews - both Ashkenazi and Mizrachi - do not know what a knish is. Maybe some of the older ones do, but I once asked our Hebrew forum members when we had a chat room if they knew what a knish is. About 20 members answered and not one knew what it is. Our Hebrew forum is about 50-50 in terms of Ashkenazim and Mizrachim (Sepharadim) so it's not because of ethnic background.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 11:59:17 PM »
בס''ד

Israeli Jews - both Ashkenazi and Mizrachi - do not know what a knish is. Maybe some of the older ones do, but I once asked our Hebrew forum members when we had a chat room if they knew what a knish is. About 20 members answered and not one knew what it is. Our Hebrew forum is about 50-50 in terms of Ashkenazim and Mizrachim (Sepharadim) so it's not because of ethnic background.
This is what I have found too here in Israel as well only us foreign born or the old folks know what it is.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 01:18:11 AM »
Ooh this sounds similar to Burekas. Maybe you can search for burekas and see if they would at least be a good substitute to knishes.  I' have heard of them before but never had a knish-now I will have to make some thanks to the video Muman posted. Now, Pierogies- those I could not do without! This also reminds me of pirozhki and a kavkaz type of fried bureka called Haliva, which I really like. I am now VERY hungry.

This is a Jewish Sephardic dish which is quite similar to the Turkish "burak." (You can also consider it the Sephardic equivalent of the Ashkenazic knish.) Burekas can be prepared with various types of dough: strudel dough (thin leaves; most traditional), rising dough, or with types of prepared dough found in the market.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 01:43:36 AM by IsraeliHeart »

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 01:21:23 AM »
The knishes are in the knesset.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 01:22:18 AM »
The knishes are in the knesset.

Buns or Bums?

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 01:34:46 AM »
I used to eat the knish made of potato inside and wrapped with yellowed dough, lightly salted. I used to eat it all the time and never knew it was Jewish. It was always next to the hot dogs.
Nothing like the ones pictured above.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 01:54:40 PM »
בס''ד

Trivial question:

Is there a Hebrew translation for knish or is it just transliterated?

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 01:58:24 PM »
I like having a kasha knish on occasion.