Author Topic: Is a conversion appropriate in this circumstance?  (Read 57798 times)

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Is a conversion appropriate in this circumstance?
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2013, 08:52:21 PM »
I actually know Rabbi Nachman, I talk to him all the time... Na Nach Nachman Meuman!

Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline rafeli18

• Full JTFer
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »
I actually know Rabbi Nachman, I talk to him all the time... Na Nach Nachman Meuman!

numa numa  :)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2013, 09:00:13 PM »
While discussing the Breslov Chassidus (including the Nah Nah Nachman 'cult') it is important to realize that Breslovers are more than just dancing fools, there is a rich history and mesorah passed down from the disciples of Rabbi Nachman and his teachings in Likuti Moran.

To learn more I would recommend the Yeshiva Chut Shel Chessed who's Rosh Yeshiva is Rabbi Shalom Arush, and his assistant Rabbi Lazer Brody.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalom_Arush

Shalom Arush (Hebrew: שלום ארוש‎) is an Israeli Breslov rabbi and founder of the Chut Shel Chessed Institutions.[1] He spreads the teachings of Rebbe Nachman of Breslov among Sephardic and Ashkenazic baalei teshuva around the world through his books and speaking appearances. Arush is considered one of today's leading Hasidic spiritual guides, inspiring hundreds of thousands through his books, audio CDs and online presence.[2]
The Chut Shel Chessed Institutions includes a yeshiva, a kollel for married men, a boarding school for teenage boys, and a Talmud Torah for younger boys.[7] The organization specializes in nurturing youth at risk, and has graduated students who have gone on to become noted writers, actors and musicians.[6] Among Arush's celebrity students is Shuli Rand, star of the film "Ushpizin".[5]

In 1998 Arush opened a branch of Chut Shel Chesed in Ashdod, Israel, and appointed his student Rabbi Lazer Brody, another combat soldier-turned-baal teshuva, to head the rabbinical program. In 2006 this branch merged with the Jerusalem yeshiva and Brody became the mashpia (spiritual guide) for Arush's students and the translator of Arush's books into English.[5][8]

This is their website @ http://www.breslev.co.il/default.aspx

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2013, 09:06:17 PM »
numa numa  :)
I was totally messing around :::D I don't pray to Rabbi Nachman, but I do love Breslov!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline rafeli18

• Full JTFer
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2013, 09:08:50 PM »
While discussing the Breslov Chassidus (including the Nah Nah Nachman 'cult') it is important to realize that Breslovers are more than just dancing fools, there is a rich history and mesorah passed down from the disciples of Rabbi Nachman and his teachings in Likuti Moran.

To learn more I would recommend the Yeshiva Chut Shel Chessed who's Rosh Yeshiva is Rabbi Shalom Arush, and his assistant Rabbi Lazer Brody.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalom_Arush

This is their website @ http://www.breslev.co.il/default.aspx

Thanks , i was a bit dubious of that video. It seemed too jolly:)
Previous posters have recommended i need  to learn hebrew. In reality how much is required?Apologies if this sounds a little naive.My sister is willing to teach me but she's busy though.

Offline rafeli18

• Full JTFer
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2013, 09:09:29 PM »
I was totally messing around :::D I don't pray to Rabbi Nachman, but I do love Breslov!

i know lol

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2013, 09:15:16 PM »
I am not actively involved with any Breslov groups currently (as I am involved with Lubavitch/Chabad Chassidus) although I do keep the commandment of Peyot (Sides of the beard) and let them grow long as a Breslov Chassid (I am the only one in my community to do so).

JTF frowns generally on posting personal images on the forum. But to make a point I have taken one of my images and blurred my face so you can get an idea how I keep my Peyot...

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:42:11 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline rafeli18

• Full JTFer
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2013, 09:21:10 PM »
I am not actively involved with any Breslov groups currently (as I am involved with Lubavitch/Chabad Chassidus) although I do keep the commandment of Peyot (Sides of the beard) and let them grow long as a Breslov Chassid (I am the only one in my community to do so).

JTF frowns generally on posting personal images on the forum. But to make a point I have taken one of my images and blurred my face so you can get an idea how I keep my Peyot...

Why do you think you're the only one?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2013, 09:23:51 PM »
Why do you think you're the only one?

My last name is 'Uman' thus I feel a special attraction to the Breslov community even though I don't know anyone who is a Breslov Chassid. I live in Northern California (virtually the middle of nowhere in terms of Jewish community) and thus I have to join the local Chabad community. Chabad doesn't have a minhag of growing the peyot long (as the Breslovers do). They keep short Peyot and cut them with scissors (which is an acceptable way of cutting them). We have had 'argument/discussions' here concerning Peyot. There is no command to grow them 'long' but it is definately a commandment to not cut them (with a razor).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2013, 09:28:46 PM »
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/81570/jewish/The-Prohibition-Against-Shaving-the-Edges-of-Ones-Head.htm

The Prohibition Against Shaving the edges of One's Head
By Eli Touger

Leviticus 19:27 states: “Do not round off [the hair] at the edges of your heads.” Our Rabbis interpreted the term “edges” to refer to the hair between the ears and the hairless portion of the face. Maimonides writes:1

Our Sages did not determine the amount of hair which must be left at the corners of our temples. We have heard, however, from our elders that one must leave at least forty hairs.2

One may remove the [hairs from] the edges [of our heads] with scissors. The prohibition applies only to total removal with a razor.

In one of his responsa, Maimonides clarifies that the forbidden area is about the size of a thumb. The Shulchan Aruch (Yoreh De’ah 181:1) explains that we are speaking about the area where the skull is joined to the jawbone. The Kitzur Shulchan Aruch 170:1 states that the area which is forbidden to be shaven extends until below the ear, the place from which the jaw protrudes.

Although the person who violates the prohibition is the one who actually shaves the hair off, if the person having his head shaved moves his head to assist the person doing the shaving, he also is considered as having transgressed. Even if a person does nothing at all, it is forbidden for him to allow the edges of his head to be shaven.3

Maimonides4 considers this prohibition as one of the safeguards against idolatry. He explains that it was customary for pagan priests to shave the corners of their heads. Hence, the Torah commanded the Jewish people to shun this practice.5 The Chasam Sofer6 explains this concept further: Since pagans could not have their idols grow hair, it was customary for them to shave their own hair, so that they would resemble the images they worshipped. Others offer different rationales for the practice.

The rationale, however, is not significant. The prohibition is one of the 613 mitzvos of the Torah,7 incumbent on all Jewish males, at all times and in all places.

As mentioned above, the upsherinish is instituted to train the child to observe this prohibition. But the prohibition applies not only in childhood, but throughout our lives. And unfortunately, it is violated sometimes, unknowingly all too often. For when a barber shaves the hair at the side of the ears, a transgression, equal in severity to partaking of pork or shrimp, is committed.

In many communities, because the Torah singled out this portion of the hair for distinction, it is customary to allow the hair to grow long, thus creating the “earlocks” (peyos) that have become part of the stereotype image of the observant Jew. Significantly, this custom is practiced by Jews from such far-removed origins as Yemen, Morocco, and Eastern Europe.

The AriZal, however, would not grow his peyos below his ears. Instead, he would trim them with a scissors.8 The Lubavitch custom is to follow this example.9

Offline rafeli18

• Full JTFer
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2013, 09:30:20 PM »
My last name is 'Uman' thus I feel a special attraction to the Breslov community even though I don't know anyone who is a Breslov Chassid. I live in Northern California (virtually the middle of nowhere in terms of Jewish community) and thus I have to join the local Chabad community. Chabad doesn't have a minhag of growing the peyot long (as the Breslovers do). They keep short Peyot and cut them with scissors (which is an acceptable way of cutting them). We have had 'argument/discussions' here concerning Peyot. There is no command to grow them 'long' but it is definately a commandment to not cut them (with a razor).
It seems an intricate and highly thought out matter.
Previous posters have recommended I learn hebrew. In reality how much is required?Apologies if this sounds a little naive.My sister is willing to teach me but she's busy though.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2013, 09:32:14 PM »
MUMAN! You're laying to much out there, IMO. And the pic is pretty clear...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »
Thanks , i was a bit dubious of that video. It seemed too jolly:)
Previous posters have recommended i need  to learn hebrew. In reality how much is required?Apologies if this sounds a little naive.My sister is willing to teach me but she's busy though.

Gotta say that understanding Hebrew is a great help to understanding the prayers. I learned Hebrew the hard way (and I dont think I know it enough to speak modern Hebrew). I picked up Hebrew by reading the prayers (phonetically). Learn the letters, all 22 of them, and the vowel marks and you can read the words (right to left)...Over the 10 years since my return I have learned the translations of the prayers and can read them in Hebrew while my mind is cognizant of the 'kevanah' intention of the words.

Of course if you have time to learn Hebrew from a class I would invest it.

Start with the Aleph-Beit:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
MUMAN! You're laying to much out there, IMO. And the pic is pretty clear...

I will smudge it up a little more...

Offline rafeli18

• Full JTFer
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2013, 09:38:16 PM »
Gotta say that understanding Hebrew is a great help to understanding the prayers. I learned Hebrew the hard way (and I dont think I know it enough to speak modern Hebrew). I picked up Hebrew by reading the prayers (phonetically). Learn the letters, all 22 of them, and the vowel marks and you can read the words (right to left)...Over the 10 years since my return I have learned the translations of the prayers and can read them in Hebrew while my mind is cognizant of the 'kevanah' intention of the words.

Of course if you have time to learn Hebrew from a class I would invest it.

Start with the Aleph-Beit:

Are there any online resources you would recommend ?
My sister is funnily enough more fluent in biblical hebrew even though all her jewish friends are irreligious

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom

Offline rafeli18

• Full JTFer
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2013, 09:50:05 PM »
Again i offer my thanks . The lessons seem nice and easy for the beginner
Todah Raba

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2013, 09:51:51 PM »
Again i offer my thanks . The lessons seem nice and easy for the beginner
Todah Raba

You are welcome. May your journey into learning Judaism be enlightening and provide you much inner joy.

Offline rafeli18

• Full JTFer
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2013, 09:57:20 PM »
You are welcome. May your journey into learning Judaism be enlightening and provide you much inner joy.
Hopefully hashem will permit this.Just reading about judaism gives me joy though i have one problem

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2013, 10:05:39 PM »
Hopefully hashem will permit this.Just reading about judaism gives me joy though i have one problem
What's that?

Offline rafeli18

• Full JTFer

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2013, 10:13:31 PM »
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline rafeli18

• Full JTFer
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2013, 10:19:39 PM »
In what way?

My father has a disdain for judaism even though he's halachically jewish.My mother hasn't got time for religion though she still considers the church to be important.My sister is more complicated; she speaks hebrew, revisionist zionist , loves judaism but she's shown no sign of even considering being a giyur

Offline rafeli18

• Full JTFer
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2013, 10:20:22 PM »
My father has a disdain for judaism even though he's halachically jewish.My mother hasn't got time for religion though she still considers the church to be important.My sister is more complicated; she speaks hebrew, revisionist zionist , loves judaism(studied jewish studies ) but she's shown no sign of even considering being a giyur

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2013, 10:24:20 PM »
My father has a disdain for judaism even though he's halachically jewish.My mother hasn't got time for religion though she still considers the church to be important.My sister is more complicated; she speaks hebrew, revisionist zionist , loves judaism but she's shown no sign of even considering being a giyur
What about your Grandparents? Most them may of converted out of fear or convince...