Author Topic: the sun-is it good or bad for you?  (Read 1265 times)

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
the sun-is it good or bad for you?
« on: July 14, 2013, 01:06:55 PM »
Whilst I do not believe people should sunbather for hours on end, I really do feel that the dermatologists and sunscreen companies scare us on the hiding from the sun.

I reckon if you eat good nutrition which protect from sun rays anyway, then you should be allowed to have some time in the sun, yes even without sunblock.

IMO God created the sun for a reason, and whilst to much of it is very bad, in moderation is very good.

Vitimid D cannot be located in food alone. No Supplements can help, it has to be from sunlight.

75 percent of Americans are vitamin D deficient. A leading cancer expert actually publically endorsed moderate sun exsposure, without black, we are talking early hours in the morning and late in the evening.

I also feel its important to note that to get the best physical exercise, you have to go outdoors, so to tell young kids to stay in away from the sun just because of its dangers is dangerous in itself, as most physical activity is outdoors.

What are JTFS thoughts on the sun, should you avoid it, do you trust sunblock chemicals? Or is the classic "in moderation" the key.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: the sun-is it good or bad for you?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 02:46:13 PM »
I am trying to avoid the sun as much as possible and if I go out to the Sun I use 50spf sun screen on my face and neck and the back side of my hands. I am also taking vitamin D supplement because at one time it got too low. Since I started taking it semi regularly it returned to normal range.

If you want to expose your body to the Sun for medicinal reasons you should still protect your face (including the top of the ears), expose the back, chest and legs, and use moderation. That's what I read, I think from the same expert you are talking about. Specifically don't get exposed to the sun for more then half the time it takes it to get minor sunburns. In the summer as little as 10 minutes are enough especially for people with pale skin.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »
Some sun is good for you,  helps to give you Vitamin D. Go out to work in the yard,  preferrably early hours from 8 to 10 when the ultraviolet rays are less potent.  Wear a good sunscreen too, it does help. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 04:08:56 PM »
As I see it, the number one cause of wrinkles in women is sun exposure.  Most people think they only need protection when they go to the pool or the beach.  Wrong!  You need it every day.  UVA rays penetrate windows as well.  The sun's damaging UVA rays are also there even when it's cloudy out. 

So I wear a moisturizer with SPF 15 or more every day of the year.  I feel naked if I don't.   And I know from personal experience how tanning can make women look like hags.  I've seen these well to do Great Neck matrons and jappy girls back from there vacations come back with sun tans and peeling skin like it's that latest status symbol.  Their faces look like leather. 

I feel the same way about men with sun tans.  When I see a man over 30 with a suntan (who does not live in tropical environment), I immediately think "aging homosexual."

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »
so as a 28 year old male, could I reverse some of the potential damage if I start to wear sunblock every day?

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 05:23:26 PM »
so as a 28 year old male, could I reverse some of the potential damage if I start to wear sunblock every day?
Some of it, and prevent further damage.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 05:24:52 PM »

Probably.  But the best person to ask would be a dermatologist.

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 06:04:58 PM »
Some of it, and prevent further damage.

so you wear sunblock even in winter time?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »
Yup.  365 days a year. 

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 06:22:52 PM »
Yup.  365 days a year.

and how are your vitimin d levels?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 06:32:10 PM »
I think that last time I went to the doctor, they were OK.  But maybe a year or two ago, I was told they were low.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 06:38:07 PM »
so you wear sunblock even in winter time?
In Israel we often have sunny days even in the winter. I don't use sun screen every day and all the time but if I know I am going to be exposed to the sun the I wear it.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 12:10:28 AM »
That's easy. If you have translucent skin, you really need to protect yourself from the hot sun.
If you are a dark Jew, you really don't need anything. If you are black, by all means, go bake in the sun, you have full protection.
I have very few problems in the sun unless I'm in the sun all day long.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 12:13:48 AM »
Im not outside much for very long these days. During the week I'm stuck in a cubicle somewhere banging away at a computer keyboard, and otherwise I'm driving in my car, or sleeping at home.... On Sunday I finally go out to see the sun... It is usually very nice for me...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 12:14:22 AM »
I was told once that black people can also get sunburned.  I personally don't believe it.  But was told by someone who served in Iraq with black soldiers.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 12:26:06 AM »
I was told once that black people can also get sunburned.  I personally don't believe it.  But was told by someone who served in Iraq with black soldiers.

Not possible. Well, how can you tell?
I can be out in the sun for hours at a time without getting sunburn. It only happens if I'm out longer.
So, if blacks are 30000000 times darker than me....
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline kyel

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 12:33:33 AM »
That's easy. If you have translucent skin, you really need to protect yourself from the hot sun.
If you are a dark Jew, you really don't need anything. If you are black, by all means, go bake in the sun, you have full protection.
I have very few problems in the sun unless I'm in the sun all day long.

I am a dark jew (half moroccan half ashkenazi american(czech and polish)) and have never been sunburnt in my life. I have had adverse reactions to sunscreen and don't see what the obsession is with sunscreen and do think a lot of it is a marketing scam.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 02:17:28 AM »
Black people can get sunburned if they stay out too long in the strongest sun, and they can also get skin cancer. What's really tragic about it is that a lot of times they get diagnosed much later than a lighter skinned person would with skin cancer so they have a more severe case at the time of diagnosis.