Author Topic: the JTF health and fittness thread  (Read 15013 times)

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
the JTF health and fittness thread
« on: July 28, 2013, 12:02:32 PM »
I couldn't see a section/topic so I thought rather than do loads of individual threads, and the fact that Chaim and most of the members are into health and fitness. Why not have a thread.

It could be about how much sun is good for you, what you have eaten/what new dietary habits do you have. Exercise, do you do Gym work? Relaxation exercises and breathing exercises.

Il get the ball rolling, I have started the sun block routine that some of our members have recommended although I am sceptical as vitamin D deficiency is at a very high rate.

I am also getting a referral for orthotics to correct my flat feet for tennis.

I have also added red kidney beans to my weekly diet, do you agree with this move???

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: the JTF health and fittness thread
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »
Beans/peas and cereals are complementary to each other in terms of the amino acids so it is good to combine them. But if you eat meat then you have another source of full proteins anyway.

I don't go to the gym but I do work out at home and outdoors with stress on aerobic ie 10km run, cycling. I am also trying to maintain decent level of flexibility and agility, coordination, and balance. For example Sometimes after a run I am cooling down by jogging on the edge of the pavement, both feet landing on the same line.

Sometimes every day tasks can be made into a little exercise. For example, brushing my teeth with the left hand, picking up stuff with the left hand etc.

Offline Aces High

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 02:53:49 PM »
I think starting this thread is a great idea.

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 03:03:15 PM »
Beans/peas and cereals are complementary to each other in terms of the amino acids so it is good to combine them. But if you eat meat then you have another source of full proteins anyway.

I don't go to the gym but I do work out at home and outdoors with stress on aerobic ie 10km run, cycling. I am also trying to maintain decent level of flexibility and agility, coordination, and balance. For example Sometimes after a run I am cooling down by jogging on the edge of the pavement, both feet landing on the same line.

Sometimes every day tasks can be made into a little exercise. For example, brushing my teeth with the left hand, picking up stuff with the left hand etc.

I was quite proud I had two grilled salmon fillets, with cashes, peppers, and a large helping of pre cooked red kidney beans. Pretty balanced, I give tht meal 9/10 for healthiness, and makes up for a poor day diet wise

Great idea about doing tasks using other methods other than the norm, I also heard that its good for the brain, but not sure if increases Iq.

im trying to do posture exercises after dips and press ups. As I feel I slouch a little bit.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »
I've cut back on my intake of fruit juice, which is loaded with sugar. I'll occasionally drink a 6 oz serving of orange juice, but my intention is to wean myself off of fruit juice. I don't think anybody would sit down and eat six servings of fruit in one sitting, which is the approximate equivalent of a single serving of juice. Fruit should be consumed whole with the fiber intact.

As far as the sun is concerned, I have a very swarthy complexion but I always use a SPF 50 sunblock. I don't know about the ramifications of possible Vitamin D deficiency. I'm not a medical expert. I do take a multivitamin that contains 200% of the Daily Value recommended intake of Vitamin D.

My exercise consists of running, jogging, power walking, weight lifting, crunches, sit-ups and squats. I pump iron either at home or once a week at the gym if possible.

As far as red kidney beans are concerned, they're a great source of protein and dietary fiber as well as other nutrients. You can't go wrong by adding them to your diet.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:00:11 PM by Mishmaat »

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 05:02:43 PM »
I've cut back on my intake of fruit juice, which is loaded with sugar. I'll occasionally drink a 6 oz serving of orange juice, but my intention is to wean myself off of fruit juice. I don't think anybody would sit down and eat six servings of fruit in one sitting, which is the approximate equivalent of a single serving of juice. Fruit should be consumed whole with the fiber intact.

As far as the sun is concerned, I have a very swarthy complexion but I always use a SPF 50 sunblock. I don't know about the ramifications of possible Vitamin D deficiency. I'm not a medical expert. I do take a multivitamin that contains 200% of the Daily Value recommended intake of Vitamin D.

My exercise consists of running, jogging, power walking, weight lifting, crunches, sit-ups and squats. I pump iron either at home or once a week at the gym if possible.

As far as red kidney beans are concerned, they're a great source of protein and dietary fiber as well as other nutrients. You can't go wrong by adding them to your diet.

nice one, sounds good.

Yea Orange juice is a tough one. packed with vitamin c but packed with natural sugers. Im sure a few glasses a week wont do any harm. Just rinse round with water after for teeth reasons.

I guess you guys living in Israel means you have high UV rays levels?

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 05:22:49 PM »
I think I am the only Israeli on the thread so far. And yes I think the sun radiation is pretty strong in Israel. I am not sure if there is truth to it but it is often said that in the dead sea which is about -410m bellow sea level there are low levels of UV even though the place is hot and awash with sun radiation.

People with psoriasis go there to sun bath without sun screen. When I am there however I use plenty of sun screen.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 05:30:38 PM »
Hiking is always very good for you, but you must get plenty of sleep after a strenuous hike or you'll get sick.

I don't wear sunscreen (because it feels horrible and burns my eyes severely), but I do wear a wide-brimmed hat. I should wear a long-sleeved white shirt, but I don't.  :'(

Don't ever eat when you aren't hungry and try to cook for yourself as much as is possible.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
Thank you for starting this thread, Christians For Jews. 

I'm happy to say that I've been doing a modified version of the "Eat To Live" diet, and it looks like I've gone down a pant size.  I say a modified version because I haven't completely cut out the animal products.  I'll have some chicken or fish usually.  And I haven't cut out coffee.

But otherwise, it's a little like how Chaim says he eats. 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 06:14:37 PM »
Oh, and kale is my new favorite vegetable.  I just love using it raw in a salad.  For dressing, I squeeze the juice of a quarter of a lemon (or lime), add some olive oil, and some iodized sea salt. 

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 08:25:30 PM »
This is going to shock some here, I stopped eating meat for a whole month now including chicken.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »
I would feel extremely poorly extremely quickly without animal protein/fat. I know Chaim would disagree strongly but that's the truth for me.

Offline Super Mentalita

• Master JTFer
  • Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 07:41:38 AM »
A sigaret and a beer after my Krav Maga training a few times a week. You should try it.
''At the siege of Vienna in 1683 Islam seemed poised to overrun Christian Europe.
We are in a new phase of a very old war.''

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 09:06:03 AM »
A sigaret and a beer after my Krav Maga training a few times a week. You should try it.
I would only advise my enemies to smoke cigarettes.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 12:16:27 PM »
I would only advise my enemies to smoke cigarettes.
Ditto that.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 03:43:52 PM »
I believe longevity is more related to genetics than to what we eat and do. While it is good to avoid foods which are known to cause cancer, known to cause obesity, etc... But overall I think it is ok to eat a diet which includes things some here think are not so healthy so long as it is balanced with more healthy items (including green salads, vegetables, garlic and onions, etc.)

My family doesn't have the longevity gene. I know people who have eaten healthy and exercised and yet they still were sick and died younger than some. I believe that most variables related to longevity come from our parents...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 06:12:45 PM »
Eating fresh foods over conserved foods is always a good thing.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »
I believe longevity is more related to genetics than to what we eat and do. While it is good to avoid foods which are known to cause cancer, known to cause obesity, etc...

I agree.... or at least genetic aspect equal to the habit/diet aspect as long as habit and diet are within a reasonable range.

As far as what foods are carcinogenic..... who really knows? It seems every few years the list changes. What was good becomes bad and vice-versa. Obviously there are some things that are and always will be bad like smoking, Big Macs, and listening to Obama.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 05:39:25 PM »
What do you guys think about drinking coffee ? Allot of recent publications attribute many positive effects to coffee drinking like reducing the risk to get diabetes and some types of cancer. I also read that regular coffee drinkers are immune to the bad effect of raising blood pressure and heart rate because their body adopts to the caffeine. Specifically the caffeine is said to have a positive effect in lowering the risk for Alzheimer and Parkinson and some other Neurological diseases as well as diabetes. 

Anyway I drink coffee in moderation, like 2 cups a day on average. For quite a while I cut it off completely and I don't feel I have a dependency or addiction to coffee. But I also drink several cups a day of green tea which I think is even better then coffee at least in terms of anti-oxidants in it as and it has a lower dose of caffeine in it.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 05:50:04 PM »
What do you guys think about drinking coffee ? Allot of recent publications attribute many positive effects to coffee drinking like reducing the risk to get diabetes and some types of cancer. I also read that regular coffee drinkers are immune to the bad effect of raising blood pressure and heart rate because their body adopts to the caffeine. Specifically the caffeine is said to have a positive effect in lowering the risk for Alzheimer and Parkinson and some other Neurological diseases as well as diabetes. 

Anyway I drink coffee in moderation, like 2 cups a day on average. For quite a while I cut it off completely and I don't feel I have a dependency or addiction to coffee. But I also drink several cups a day of green tea which I think is even better then coffee at least in terms of anti-oxidants in it as and it has a lower dose of caffeine in it.
I think most research is that it is not bad for you except in extreme doses. But I hate the taste and caffeine has no effect on me anyway.

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 06:05:46 PM »

Drink up!

I once eliminated coffee from my diet too. Now I have at least one cup a day. I'll quote from the AARP New American Diet:

"According to the NIH-AARP Study, coffee drinkers were less likely to die from heart disease, respiratory disease, stroke, injuries and accidents, diabetes, and infections. Here's one more piece of research: people who drank three to five cups of coffee a day in their forties and fifties had a 65 percent lower rate of developing Alzheimer's than those who drank two cups a day. This was regular coffee, not the fancy lattes, cappuccinos or mochas with added fats and sugars." (Whyte 199)

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 06:40:54 PM »
My problem is this: Fish does not agree with me at all.  For me, it's like eating poison.  The bad news for me is that fish is incredibly healthy for a person.  Since I can't eat it (the smell alone nauseates me), are there any substitute foods that can deliver the same health benefits to me? 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 06:46:32 PM »
My problem is this: Fish does not agree with me at all.  For me, it's like eating poison.  The bad news for me is that fish is incredibly healthy for a person.  Since I can't eat it (the smell alone nauseates me), are there any substitute foods that can deliver the same health benefits to me?

Fish pellets? Fish oil?

I too hate fish... The only kind of fish I eat are Gefilte fish (on Jewish holidays and Shabbat)...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 06:54:30 PM »
Flaxseed oil is the best vegetarian replacement to fish oil. It is the richest vegetarian source (that I know of) for omega-3 fatty acid.

Offline Hava

• New JTFer
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 07:38:46 PM »
I think most research is that it is not bad for you except in extreme doses. But I hate the taste and caffeine has no effect on me anyway.

Coffee is okay, I guess, but I will say that in my own experience when a man drinks a lot of coffee it has a tendency to (how to say it delicately) change how he tastes, and not for the better. The same for a lot of processed foods- fresh fruits and vegetables (and moderate amounts of meat) are good to go, but a lot of canned or 'fast foods' will make a man.... not as enjoyable. (I can't say how it affects women; you guys will have to do your own research!)