Author Topic: the JTF health and fittness thread  (Read 14993 times)

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: the JTF health and fittness thread
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 09:51:50 PM »
Coffee is okay, I guess, but I will say that in my own experience when a man drinks a lot of coffee it has a tendency to (how to say it delicately) change how he tastes, and not for the better. The same for a lot of processed foods- fresh fruits and vegetables (and moderate amounts of meat) are good to go, but a lot of canned or 'fast foods' will make a man.... not as enjoyable. (I can't say how it affects women; you guys will have to do your own research!)
Gosh darn it! You know how long I ignored this post? You guys know what they're talking about, right?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 10:23:47 PM »
Coffee is okay, I guess, but I will say that in my own experience when a man drinks a lot of coffee it has a tendency to (how to say it delicately) change how he tastes, and not for the better. The same for a lot of processed foods- fresh fruits and vegetables (and moderate amounts of meat) are good to go, but a lot of canned or 'fast foods' will make a man.... not as enjoyable. (I can't say how it affects women; you guys will have to do your own research!)

Too much information!

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 11:01:03 PM »

:o

Wrong forum.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:56:43 PM by Mishmaat »

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 10:13:58 AM »
Realbeanz jewish coffee with antioxidants in the bottle gets my day going.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 07:20:31 PM »
This article on OU's website discusses the apparent health benefits of drinking Coffee responsibly...

http://www.ou.org/life/health/coffees-undeserved-bad-rap/#.UfrsmXVDsjg

Sometimes, things that we are so sure about for so long end up being the opposite of what we think.  You might remember when eating butter was a big no-no and we should go for the margarine instead.  Of course, we now know that a little bit of butter isn’t so bad at all and margarine and its trans fats is one of the biggest creators of heart disease.  This same one-time-negative-stigma-proved-wrong scenario used applies to coffee.

I remember clearly when I was a little child, that coffee was only for adults and we even were told that children can’t have coffee because it stunts you growth.  And then for many years, we were all sure that over-consumption of coffee was bad for you heart and might even cause certain cancers.  Well, guess what, not only do most of these myths have no basis in fact; coffee may actually have health benefits.  Large-scale studies have shown that caffeine consumption does not increase the risk of cardiovascular disease and does not raise cholesterol levels or cause irregular heartbeat. A slight, temporary rise in heart rate and blood pressure is common in those who are sensitive to caffeine-but the rise is minimal and proportional to normal activity like walking up stairs. That said, if you have high blood pressure talk to your doctor about caffeine intake, as some people may be more sensitive to its effects. Also, more research is needed to tell whether caffeine increases the risk for stroke in people with high blood pressure. Reviews of 13 studies involving 20,000 people revealed no relationship between cancer and caffeine. In fact, caffeine may even have a protective effect against certain cancers.  Here are some of the benefits of coffee:

1. Coffee may help fight depression

A joint study from the National Institutes of Health and the AARP discovered that folks who drank four or more cups of coffee a day were 10 percent less likely to be depressed than someone who didn’t drink coffee at all. Oddly, the same mental-health benefits didn’t extend to other caffeinated beverages — particularly cola, which was linked to a higher risk of depression (perhaps because of the high sugar content). Therefore, researchers suggest coffee’s “mood-lifting effect might be traced to its antioxidants,” reports Prevention.

2. It may be good for your liver

Numerous studies have suggested that caffeine helps the liver regulate itself. Research presented this month by the Mayo Clinic found that regular coffee consumption may reduce a person’s risk of PSC, a rare autoimmune disease that can lead to cirrhosis of the liver, liver failure, and even cancer. But that’s not all. A separate 22-year-study of 125,000 people found that heavy drinkers who consume one cup of coffee a day were 20 percent less likely to develop alcoholic cirrhosis. Once again, those health benefits did not extend to other caffeinated drinks, including tea.

3. It’s a performance booster

It’s hardly a secret: Athletes and coaches have long used coffee to boost athletic performance before a competition. Caffeine, in particular, “has been proven to increase the number of fatty acids circulating in the bloodstream,” reports The New York Times, “which enables people to run or pedal longer.” (One study suggests that as many as two-thirds of Olympic athletes were found with caffeine in their urine.)

So: How much should you drink prior to competing? Researchers at Coventry University in England discovered that the magic performance-enhancing ratio appears to be 6 milligrams of caffeine for every 2.2 pounds of body weight. For a 154-pound person, that’s about two cups.

4. It may lower your risk of type II diabetes

Consuming three to four cups of coffee a day was found to be associated with a 25 percent lower risk of developing type II diabetes, reports Science Daily. But researchers weren’t able to infer a causal effect between coffee and the disease explicitly. They think, though, that the decreased risk may have something to do with the ability of chlorogenic acid and the alkaloid trigonelline to reduce early glucose and insulin responses.

5. It may lower your risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s

Yes, coffee may help keep your mind sharp as you age by slowing the onset of neurodegenerative disease. Multiple studies have suggested that coffee drinkers have up to a 60 percent lower risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia, and the beverage may help reduce a person’s risk of Parkinson’s by 32 to 60 percent, reports Lifehacker.  Chuanhai Cao, a neuroscientist at the University of South Flordia, has a theory: Cao tells WebMD that caffeine “inhibits production of beta-amyloid,” a protein that has been shown to build up in the brain of people with Alzheimer’s disease. The older you get, the harder it is to metabolize — or use up — all that excess protein, which causes a log jam in your brain. The stimulant boost from coffee ensures “your system only metabolizes all of the available protein,” says Cao.

6. Coffee might even make you smarter

Time and time again, studies have shown that caffeine — which blocks the neurotransmitters in the brain associated with sleep — can temporarily boost cognition, especially when you’re not getting enough shut eye. “When you’re sleep-deprived and you take caffeine, pretty much anything you measure will improve” Harris Lieberman, a research psychologist for the military, told CNN in 2006. “Reaction time, vigilance, attention, logical reasoning — most of the complex functions you associate with intelligence. And most Americans are sleep-deprived most of the time.”

7. It lowers the risk of gout

A study in May of 2007 showed that the more coffee men drink, the lower their risk of gout. At least four cups a day lower gout risk by 40%, a Canada/U.S. study shows. Gout starts with a buildup of uric acid in the blood. This results in deposits of uric acid crystals in the joints and surrounding areas, causing swelling and intense pain.  The new study is based on data from nearly 46,000 male medical professionals enrolled in the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study. Over 12 years, 757 of these men developed gout, report Hyon K. Choi, MD, DrPH, of the Un

8. Prevention of Pancreatic Cancer

A 2011 Meta analysis of 14 studies showed that there is substantial evidence from both laboratory and animal studies on the favorable influence of coffee on the risk of pancreatic cancer.

By the way, for those of you who think that having a nice high dose of caffeine will undo the overconsumption of alcohol, there is no evidence that it helps.  So, if you do have a little bit too much, let someone else do the driving.  For people who have a natural sensitivity to coffee, yes, it can keep you from falling asleep at night so don’t have your coffee late in the day.  Also, people with sensitive stomachs or who have ulcers or Irritable Bowel Syndrome may get gastric discomfort and stomach pain from too much coffee.  But for most people, a few cups of coffee a day, particularly earlier in the day, can have many positive effects.

Adding a little Java to your diet will “add hours to your day, days to your year, and years to your life.” 

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 10:44:48 PM »
Hiking is always very good for you, but you must get plenty of sleep after a strenuous hike or you'll get sick.

I don't wear sunscreen (because it feels horrible and burns my eyes severely), but I do wear a wide-brimmed hat. I should wear a long-sleeved white shirt, but I don't.  :'(

Don't ever eat when you aren't hungry and try to cook for yourself as much as is possible.

You should try CeraVe, it is excellent, gentle and made for people that have problem skin.  It's the best sunscreen and moisturizer out there in your drugstore.  Try it.  It's recommended strongly by most dermatologists, some I know

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 12:47:00 AM »
I think we need to keep a careful eye on Hava.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 05:58:42 PM »
I think we need to keep a careful eye on Hava.

You should try CeraVe and also use Cetephil cleanser. theres no soap in any of it.  It's really good and I learned about it through my dermatology friends.  I use it, or started when I developed a little adult acne

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 06:30:33 AM »
Quote from: Mishmaat link=topic=7077 :::Dew-American-Diet-Weight/dp/1118185110/
AARP New American Diet[/url]:

Drink up!

I once eliminated coffee from my diet too. Now I have at least one cup a day. I'll quote from the AARP
"According to the NIH-AARP Study, coffee drinkers were less likely to die from heart disease, respiratory disease, stroke, injuries and accidents, diabetes, and infections. Here's one more piece of research: people who drank three to five cups of coffee a day in their forties and fifties had a 65 percent lower rate of developing Alzheimer's than those who drank two cups a day. This was regular coffee, not the fancy lattes, cappuccinos or mochas with added fats and sugars." (Whyte 199)
Don't say drink up because if more people start doing that it may raise the price  :::D  There was a study done time back that claimed coffee brewed using a filter had little or no health risk... It's the coffee oil which is problem... I drink about 8 cups a day of perked coffee... The drip coffee makers are just not hot enough and don't taste the same... I cut down the filter paper for the drip coffee makers to fit the percolator basket... The stove top percolators are better than the automatic electric ones... People should drink their coffee black no milk or sugar because them two things as well as some of the other garbage people put in their coffee is the real health problem in the picture.   
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, 02:44:42 PM »
today I ate some seabass grilled with cus cus and im currently snaking on walnuts. In the Summer period strawberries are in season and I ate loads of those.

Ive been adding cumin to a lot of my cooking, what the JTFS opinion on this Indian spice?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 05:43:34 PM »
Cumin goes nicely with beans.  But I think you're confusing it with turmeric, which is an Indian spice, and which is supposed to be very healthy.  It's in the same family as ginger root. 

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013, 06:11:31 PM »
Cumin goes nicely with beans.  But I think you're confusing it with turmeric, which is an Indian spice, and which is supposed to be very healthy.  It's in the same family as ginger root.

Hey Lisa check this out.

Powerful, Little Known Secrets of Cumin

Posted by tina wolverton check me out on ·  google plus 

Though I’m sure you’ve heard of (and probably use) cumin, I bet you didn’t know that it can help you with losing weight. Did you? Cumin is very common in African, Asian and Latin American dishes and offers a wide variety of health benefits… both for physical and mental health. Let’s take a look at just some of the reasons you should be including cumin in your cooking.

Physical Benefits Cumin Offers

First of all, cumin is an amazing source of iron, which is important for ensuring a healthy digestive system. It helps your body produce energy more effectively, carry a healthy supply of oxygen to the tissues in your body, and improves your immune system. An interesting thing about cumin too is that studies have shown that it is anti-carcinogenic. That means it can help prevent the development of cancer. Specifically, it’s been shown to prevent liver and stomach cancer although it’s only been proven with animals so far. Cumin has also been proven to help those who suffer from arthritis, asthma and kidney disease.

Cumin Helps with Weight Loss?

Because cumin increases your metabolic rate and body temperature, it is also becoming more well-known for helping people lose weight. In Indian cooking it’s commonly combined with a number or other spices, such as ginger, fenugreek, black pepper and turmeric powder. This helps increase the effect that it has on your digestive system and helps your body absorb more nutrients, which in turn helps prevent your body from storing fat.

Abdominal Fat Burning

Not only is cumin great at overall helping your body not to build and store fat, but it’s specifically good at targeting your abdominal fat. It can increase your fat burning by as much as 25 percent! But if you want to get the most out of cumin’s weight loss abilities, it’s best to combine it with other spices like mentioned above. A few more that you can mix it with are mustard, fennel and fresh ginger.

Kickin’ Out the Bad

Cumin helps your body get rid of waste more efficiently and quickly, which means it helps ward off disease and this also helps with weight loss.

Improve Mental Health with Cumin

As mentioned, cumin is also beneficial to mental health. It can help you improve your memory and sharpen your concentration skills. It’s commonly suggested to use cumin in your daily diet if you suffer from any kind of insomnia, too.

Summary

Cumin is an amazing little spice that just about anyone can benefit from. If you haven’t been using it, then start adding it to the dishes that you make. You’ll get an increase in your metabolism, kick your immune system into better gear, naturally detox your body on a regular basis and burn fat away faster. Besides, there aren’t any known dangers or side effects of cumin so there’s really no reason not to start using it today.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2013, 06:13:40 PM »
I think you are right, tumeric is that yellow root, a relative of another healthy spice- ginger.

Cumin is considered a home remedy for tummy aches, maybe it has other healthy attributes I haven't heard of.

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
I think you are right, tumeric is that yellow root, a relative of another healthy spice- ginger.

Cumin is considered a home remedy for tummy aches, maybe it has other healthy attributes I haven't heard of.

Actually, ginger is supposed to be a home remedy for stomach aches.  But here's a page about the health benefits of turmeric:

http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/the-amazing-health-benefits-of-turmeric

Offline christians4jews

• Master JTFer
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »
Actually, ginger is supposed to be a home remedy for stomach aches.  But here's a page about the health benefits of turmeric:

http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/the-amazing-health-benefits-of-turmeric

good find Lisa, ill get some tomorrow and start adding it to my meals :)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2013, 07:52:51 PM »
Keep it cumin...

Reminds me of Rabbi Cunin...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shlomo_Cunin
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 02:52:26 PM »
Today I ate pomegranate that I had picked off right from the tree in my yard. This year they have ripened early. Pomegranate is one of the healthiest fruits there are. It is very tasty IMO, but opening it up is somewhat tedious work.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 08:05:49 PM »
Today I ate pomegranate that I had picked off right from the tree in my yard. This year they have ripened early. Pomegranate is one of the healthiest fruits there are. It is very tasty IMO, but opening it up is somewhat tedious work.

I am not a big fan of this fruit. Indeed it is said they are healthy, but there are way too many seeds to deal with...

It is a good time to start thinking about pomegranates because Rosh Hashanah is a coming in the next month. We eat pomegranates as a 'siman'/omen for a good year. Since the Talmud estimates there are 613 seeds in a pomegranate we eat it as a sign for a year full of mitzvot.

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/619,19383/Why-do-we-eat-pomegranates-on-Rosh-Hashanah.html

The Talmud1 tells us that "even the wicked amongst Israel are filled with good deeds like pomegranates [are filled with seeds]." On Rosh Hashanah, the Day of Judgment, we eat a pomegranate to remind G-d of all the good deeds we've done in the past year2.
Footnotes

1. Tractate Sanhedrin 37a
2. Also see Malbim Shir Hashirim, 4:3, where he mentions pomegranates having 613 seeds, which is analogous to the 613 Mitzvot

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2013, 09:28:19 PM »
The seeds are good for you. But yeah, as Zelhar points out they are a massive pain in the butt, and the trees are full of thorns.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2013, 10:28:12 PM »
Sorry for the O.T. posts, but this video discusses both 'dates' and 'pomegranates' as Simanim...

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, 11:40:26 PM »
CJD, EIGHT CUPS A DAY??????

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 04:58:52 AM »
There is a quick tool to extract the pomegranate seeds. I had it and used it in the past (it is now lost somewhere in storage). It is still messy, but at least it does the work allot quicker and most of the seeds get out intact despite the violent operation of the tool. I use the Juice that accumulates as a bonus little healthy drink for my effort.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2013, 05:12:29 AM »
There is a quick tool to extract the pomegranate seeds. I had it and used it in the past (it is now lost somewhere in storage). It is still messy, but at least it does the work allot quicker and most of the seeds get out intact despite the violent operation of the tool. I use the Juice that accumulates as a bonus little healthy drink for my effort.

Wow, that is really something.... Does that really work as easy as it's shown in the video? 

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2013, 08:44:46 AM »
CJD, EIGHT CUPS A DAY??????
Yes, I make the pot in the morning and if its a work day I take it with me in a thermos bottle... I drink it black so it actually stays good and hot for most of the day...