Author Topic: Embedded Arm PCs  (Read 1577 times)

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Embedded Arm PCs
« on: October 01, 2013, 09:37:11 AM »
Which embedded PC do you use?
Arm or geode or whatever.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Embedded Arm PCs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »
We currently use Arm, though for the last 4 years weve been using embefdded MIPS processors. Before that we used arm... Our SOC has worked with both arm and mips coprocessors.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:48:28 AM »
So far I've been trying to use Raspberry Pi as a RDP thin client. It works well allowing full HD 1920x1080 and audio....but slow as hell.

I've tried using beaglebone black as a RDP thin client, it seems fast enough...but not software support. The bundled angstrom linux sux like hell. I've tried others like fedora arm but no audio support. I don't have time to roll my own at this time.

I need it on 24/7 so I don't want a full PC.

What embedded would you recommend for my purposes of RDP video and audio?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
So far I've been trying to use Raspberry Pi as a RDP thin client. It works well allowing full HD 1920x1080 and audio....but slow as hell.

I've tried using beaglebone black as a RDP thin client, it seems fast enough...but not software support. The bundled angstrom linux sux like hell. I've tried others like fedora arm but no audio support. I don't have time to roll my own at this time.

I need it on 24/7 so I don't want a full PC.

What embedded would you recommend for my purposes of RDP video and audio?

I cannot really help you with that. Our SOC co-processor doesn't really run anything but a bare Linux kernel and we do not have GUI running on it.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 01:28:40 PM »
None at the moment. The direction I see Valve going, linux will be accessible to more consumers in the living room with their Steam OS debian based and their unique controller.

Looks like I will tinker linux again since Mint.
The intel Nuc interests me as well for mini htpc use. I like to see more computers getting smaller down to a pen in my pocket with a hybrid usb/hdmi. 

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »
None at the moment. The direction I see Valve going, linux will be accessible to more consumers in the living room with their Steam OS debian based and their unique controller.

Looks like I will tinker linux again since Mint.
The intel Nuc interests me as well for mini htpc use. I like to see more computers getting smaller down to a pen in my pocket with a hybrid usb/hdmi.

I use mint on my intel atom DN2800 mistake. Its the only one that boots off of that unsupported single board fanless pc. There are no drivers for that GMA3650 GPU. That processor lasted one year before Intel killed it. I think the atom might die off (slowly anyway). Maybe.

You want small?  Buy the $25/35 raspberry pi.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 02:40:29 PM »

I use mint on my intel atom DN2800 mistake. Its the only one that boots off of that unsupported single board fanless pc. There are no drivers for that GMA3650 GPU. That processor lasted one year before Intel killed it. I think the atom might die off (slowly anyway). Maybe.

You want small?  Buy the $25/35 raspberry pi.
The new Intel Atom with the silvermont architecture is the fastest low voltage processor according to Anandtech.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »
just looked at silvermont. looks like its not yet released. another soc. looks like they finally figured out that there are people out there who are using linux. they lost a lot of money on those 2600/2700/2800 atoms because of the useless GPU.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 04:14:35 PM »
just looked at silvermont. looks like its not yet released. another soc. looks like they finally figured out that there are people out there who are using linux. they lost a lot of money on those 2600/2700/2800 atoms because of the useless GPU.
Is there a good linux support to other Intel GPU like HD 4600 etc ?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 04:34:51 PM »
Intel does not make the GPU GMA3*** that they embed into their own atom CPUs. Stupid. They lost lots of Linux customers....and they lost windows customers who weren't using win7 32 bit. That's right, if you were using win7 64bit or win 8, you're out of luck.

Intel's own GPU is supported by the linux kernel (there's only one linux kernel).

What the hell were they smoking?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 04:49:08 PM »
Intel does not make the GPU GMA3*** that they embed into their own atom CPUs. Stupid. They lost lots of Linux customers....and they lost windows customers who weren't using win7 32 bit. That's right, if you were using win7 64bit or win 8, you're out of luck.

Intel's own GPU is supported by the linux kernel (there's only one linux kernel).

What the hell were they smoking?
I think they used a gpu from imagination technology, which is one of the most common gpus in smartphones SOC. They reasoning must have been constraints of power and chip real estate. But anyway the Atom until the latest silvermont architecture had been dead on arrival pretty much. The latest Atom is definitely competitive in SPECS to any ARM SOC but the problem is there is no way either Samsung or Apple would use it so there goes 80% of the market.

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 05:44:59 PM »
Just looked into silvermont, that SoC is shaping up solid with quad core models and a low power draw. Thanks guys.
intel said they want to drop the atom name out the window. Those early single core atoms were atrocious in netbooks and nettops. I could not stand to repair those mess dealing with customers. Amd fusion came along with dual core Apus at that time and they outperformed intel.

Anyone try the firefox OS? (linux based too)

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 07:47:17 PM »
I think they used a gpu from imagination technology, which is one of the most common gpus in smartphones SOC. They reasoning must have been constraints of power and chip real estate. But anyway the Atom until the latest silvermont architecture had been dead on arrival pretty much. The latest Atom is definitely competitive in SPECS to any ARM SOC but the problem is there is no way either Samsung or Apple would use it so there goes 80% of the market.

yeah I remember reading about the imagination tech + low power + cost thing.
I don't know much about GPUs other than the common nvidia, ati, etc...
I don't spend money on video cards because I don't do any videos or games.
ever since 3d accelerators became common and cheap I stop paying extra for them.
I also just started SoCs, as of may of this year, so we're talking mere months.

but wouldn't it compete against raspberry pi instead?
those are selling like hot pies. I already have 5 pis and one beaglebone black (which I bought last week).
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 07:48:47 PM »
Just looked into silvermont, that SoC is shaping up solid with quad core models and a low power draw. Thanks guys.
intel said they want to drop the atom name out the window. Those early single core atoms were atrocious in netbooks and nettops. I could not stand to repair those mess dealing with customers. Amd fusion came along with dual core Apus at that time and they outperformed intel.

Anyone try the firefox OS? (linux based too)

wait how are those amds?
I'm interested in fanless.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 08:48:31 PM »
Those amd dual core fusions I had on a netbook were good for gaming, all around solid performance for $400 at that time until I sold it off. It beats single core atoms night and day.

I ran Bioshock 1 @1366x768 res with all image details low and got playable 30+ frames.
As long you ran less intensive older games, you were okay. Games like Battlefield 3 would choke in low resolutions though.

If you're more of a gamer and in the market for an Apu, you should look into their latest offerings.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 08:53:20 PM »
What is it you are doing with these CPU's ACK?

The company I work for develops SoC systems providing a DSP for video/audio decoding/encoding and a co-processor (ARM) which provides the application to control the DSP. We have players designed for flat-screen displays, cable set-top boxes, blu-ray disc players, and network appliances. Our player apps work with Netflix, youTube, Hulu, and other video distribution systems.

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 09:48:34 PM »
Darn it, after typing raspberry pi in my search engine, I found this quad core stick!
Perfect for traveling.

http://www.itproportal.com/2013/08/07/rise-50-quad-core-arm-based-android-powered-computers/

If I get it, I'm looking to remove android for linux.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »
Darn it, after typing raspberry pi in my search engine, I found this quad core stick!
Perfect for traveling.

http://www.itproportal.com/2013/08/07/rise-50-quad-core-arm-based-android-powered-computers/

If I get it, I'm looking to remove android for linux.

doesnt describe performance.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2013, 11:07:24 PM »
What is it you are doing with these CPU's ACK?

The company I work for develops SoC systems providing a DSP for video/audio decoding/encoding and a co-processor (ARM) which provides the application to control the DSP. We have players designed for flat-screen displays, cable set-top boxes, blu-ray disc players, and network appliances. Our player apps work with Netflix, youTube, Hulu, and other video distribution systems.

I need a thin client. Just RDP (Audio and Video). Embedded and fanless or at least fanless. A remote head to connect to various servers.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 11:33:45 PM »
I have a raspberry pi with several ASICMiner Block Erupter's connected via a hub for bitcoin mining.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 03:13:34 AM »
but wouldn't it compete against raspberry pi instead?
those are selling like hot pies. I already have 5 pis and one beaglebone black (which I bought last week).
I think the raspberry pi market just went off their radar. Maybe they thought it is a small margin market they don't want to play in I don't really know. Even the Raspberry guys seem surprised at the demand and variety of users and application that sprang up.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 03:51:45 AM »

I need a thin client. Just RDP (Audio and Video). Embedded and fanless or at least fanless. A remote head to connect to various servers.

I don't think our system has RDP, I do know we build Android OS systems in some department...

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 09:33:36 AM »
I think the raspberry pi market just went off their radar. Maybe they thought it is a small margin market they don't want to play in I don't really know. Even the Raspberry guys seem surprised at the demand and variety of users and application that sprang up.

huh? last I check they sold millions of boards. they've only been out a year and a month.

https://www.google.com/#q=how+many+raspberry+pi+sold
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 10:07:25 AM »

huh? last I check they sold millions of boards. they've only been out a year and a month.

https://www.google.com/#q=how+many+raspberry+pi+sold
I wanted to say they had a much lower expectations and it turned out to be a surprisingly huge hit.