Author Topic: Laws of Eruvin/ carrying on Shabbat  (Read 2832 times)

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Laws of Eruvin/ carrying on Shabbat
« on: October 07, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »
****** Reply only if you don't hold of the modern day "Eruv's" with practical Halachot of carrying on Shabbat. Included in hallways of apartment buildings, backyards, etc.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Laws of Eruvin/ carrying on Shabbat
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 07:15:36 AM »
Some I hold by some I don't.
For instance I will not use any eruv in Brookyn as per HaRav Moshe Feinstein,ZT"L,HY"D,however in Israel I do use it & I will use eruvin in other parts of the US besides Brooklyn after consulting a widely accepted halachic authority.

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:53:33 AM »
Lets say you are in Brooklyn, will you carry within an apartment complex?Lets say in the hallway? Or inside a backyard that has one part of one side opened (like a gate for a car to come in and out). And other such similar things?
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:55:57 AM »
Lets say you are in Brooklyn, will you carry within an apartment complex?Lets say in the hallway? Or inside a backyard that has one part of one side opened (like a gate for a car to come in and out). And other such similar things?
If they made a proper eruv for the building I would.

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 01:07:33 PM »
If they made a proper eruv for the building I would.

Soo an eruv would have to be made for a building? Basically it wouldn't be allowed in a place with non-Religious Jews and non-Jews because no one really sells their hallway for all.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »
Soo an eruv would have to be made for a building? Basically it wouldn't be allowed in a place with non-Religious Jews and non-Jews because no one really sells their hallway for all.
You would have to make a deal with them in order to be okay.
Ask you local rav as to exactly how it is done.
I forgot after all these years as after I left NY I always lived a place with with in eruv.

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 02:42:21 PM »
This is what I found
http://kashrut.org/forum/viewpost.asp?mid=1827&highlight=

eiruv chatzerot
[1] is a apartment building hallway actually considered a 'chatzer' for shabbat purposes so that i would need an eiruv chatzerot ? why isnt it a reshut hayachid, its surrounded by 4 walls and is more than 4x4 [especially if the building is owned by a private individual and not a corporation]!

[2] if it does require an eiruv, is this true on yom tov too, or is carrying always allowed on yom tov ?

[3] if my building is in the general comunity 'eiruv' [tzurat hapetach], do i also need an eiruv chatzerot ?

[4] is there a difference in this for ashkenazim and sefaradim ?

[5] practically , what exactly do i need to get the non jews in the building to agree to when they sell me theitr rights ?
thank you

Reply:    1) If there are two or more that share the hallway, it requires an Eiruv Chatzeirot. The why's you can learn in Mesechet Eiruvin.
2) Allowed
3) If the Eiruv in the town is Kosher, the same Rabbi(s) will automatically make an Eiruv Chatzerot, too.
4) No
5) If you only need to use the hallways and shared areas, then just rent from them for a few cents rights in the hallways....
AA