Author Topic: Did anyone know Keith Moon of the Who was very pro Israel  (Read 315 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Did anyone know Keith Moon of the Who was very pro Israel
« on: October 23, 2013, 08:36:12 AM »
http://israel-thrives.blogspot.com/2013/02/on-banning-of-our-beloved-keith-moon.html   

On the Banning of Our Beloved Keith Moon
Mike L.

For no good reason whatsoever I occasionally like to republish earlier writings.

I think that it's fitting that 3 years gone by now we revisit the very sad departure of our friend Keith Moon.

To Keith Moon, A Fond Farewell

As the Daily Kos I-P community struggles to find solace in the unfortunate departure of the beloved Keith Moon, I think that it is important that we not only acknowledge our loss, but recognize that we can go forward and that we will go forward. The pain we are suffering, the emptiness in our hearts where Keith once resided, will heal in time. And although any attempt to catalog the debt that we owe to Keith is impossible, we all understand that his legacy, the example he set as a quintessential American Original, will not fade.

What we can do, as individuals, as community members, it seems to me, is find comfort in the fact that Keith is out there somewhere. Our sadness at his departure should not cause us despair or mean the end of our struggle for social justice, equality, fair play, and general goodness. Our sadness at his departure should not mean that we back away from the tough challenges ahead. Keith was an inspiration to us all. His heart, his humor, his essential human decency was unique. When Keith spoke he radiated something that comes from the finest place within all of us.

And now he is no longer with us.

I know that the temptation for many of you will be to fall into despair, depression, and ennui. But think what Keith might say? Allow your mind to travel back to his words of wisdom, the special touch that he had with one and all, his ability to inspire hope in the hopeless, compassion in the compassionless, joy in those without joy. Because, in truth, what made Keith so special is that he represented the very best within ourselves. That is the key. We can, and will, honor his name. We can, and will, acknowledge his contributions. But, most importantly, we will strive to open ourselves to what he taught.

And, so, we wish Keith the fondest of fond fare wells.

And we pray that wherever Keith may be, whatever his current struggles, that he will bring inspiration to others, as he did to this community.

Fare thee well, Keith Moon.

Fare thee well.
Posted by Mike L. at 2:32 PM
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to Facebook
6 comments:

JayinPhiladelphiaFebruary 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Ha, awesome. He was before my A-I (see what I did there?) time, and I really don't much about him. But I do know his memory (heh) lived on for a long while, well into my own time splashing around in that swamp...
    Replies
        Mike L.February 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Keith was a very interesting character.

He was, in fact, the only dada-esque pro-Israel person that I've ever come across.

He would often write diaries calling out Hamas or Hez and then endure the fools calling him a "racist," but he was/is a very smart guy.

I remember one diary that he did in which he merely praised some Israeli Jewish basketball player (I'm sure that you'd recognize the name) and then stood back and watched the hate roll in.

It was brilliant, actually.

In any case, the guy was one of a kind, but if you read his earliest stuff over there you get a real sense of his evolution as a diarist. It was only when he started getting push back for calling out political Islam that he started getting a little crazy after awhile.

His original material is actually quite straight forward.

Anyways, the mob wanted his head and they got it.
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03