Author Topic: Video Study for Parsha Vayeshev  (Read 3030 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Video Study for Parsha Vayeshev
« on: November 21, 2013, 02:08:48 AM »
Shalom JTF Readers,

It is Wednesday already and it is the time I start studying the portion for the Torah portion we read on Shabbat. This week we are reading the portion called Vayeshev. It is hard to believe we are already at this point in the story of the creation of the Jewish nation.

It is in this weeks portion that we learn about how the brothers of Joseph became deeply jealous of Joseph, and conspired against him in order to remove him from the family. First they planned on killing him, and then agreed to sell him to passing arabs who brought him down to Egypt. The story about the rise and fall, and rise again and fall again, and rise again of Joseph is a very inspiring tale. It is intended to teach us that a righteous person may experience unpleasant circumstances yet he can retain the core traits of his beliefs, and remain righteous in tough conditions.

The entire idea of how Josephs interpretation of dreams was both a blessing and a curse. As it caused his brothers to become deeply jealous of him when they heard of his dreams of him ruling over the family and them bowing to him. But it was because of his ability to interpret dreams which brought him to the attention of Pharaoh, and after interpreting his dream was appointed viceroy over the Pharaohs kingdom.

From the Chabad portion in a nutshell:

Jacob settles in Hebron with his twelve sons. His favorite is seventeen-year-old Joseph, whose brothers are jealous of the preferential treatment he receives from his father, such as a precious many-colored coat that Jacob makes for Joseph. Joseph relates to his brothers two of his dreams which foretell that he is destined to rule over them, increasing their envy and hatred towards him.

Simeon and Levi plot to kill him, but Reuben suggests that they throw him into a pit instead, intending to come back later and save him. While Joseph is in the pit, Judah has him sold to a band of passing Ishmaelites. The brothers dip Joseph’s special coat in the blood of a goat and show it to their father, leading him to believe that his most beloved son was devoured by a wild beast.

Judah marries and has three children. The eldest, Er, dies young and childless, and his wife, Tamar, is given in levirate marriage to the second son, Onan. Onan sins by spilling his seed, and he too meets an early death. Judah is reluctant to have his third son marry her. Determined to have a child from Judah’s family, Tamar disguises herself as a prostitute and seduces Judah himself. Judah hears that his daughter-in-law has become pregnant and orders her executed for harlotry, but when Tamar produces some personal effects he left with her as a pledge for payment, he publicly admits that he is the father. Tamar gives birth to twin sons, Peretz (an ancestor of King David) and Zerach.

Joseph is taken to Egypt and sold to Potiphar, the minister in charge of Pharaoh’s slaughterhouses. G‑d blesses everything he does, and soon he is made overseer of all his master’s property. Potiphar’s wife desires the handsome and charismatic lad; when Joseph rejects her advances, she tells her husband that the Hebrew slave tried to force himself on her, and has him thrown into prison. Joseph gains the trust and admiration of his jailers, who appoint him to a position of authority in the prison administration.

In prison, Joseph meets Pharaoh’s chief butler and chief baker, both incarcerated for offending their royal master. Both have disturbing dreams, which Joseph interprets; in three days, he tells them, the butler will be released and the baker hanged. Joseph asks the butler to intercede on his behalf with Pharaoh. Joseph’s predictions are fulfilled, but the butler forgets all about Joseph and does nothing for him.

Let us first learn from Rabbi Richmans video he posted this week.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Video Study for Parsha Vayeshev
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 02:21:09 AM »
Here is the incredible Rabbi Shwab from TorahAnyTime...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 02:31:23 AM »
Rabbi Shwab has a longer shiur on the topic, I may post it later but for now let us hear Rabbi Moshe Weisblum's thoughts on our portion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 02:40:38 AM »
I gotta admit that what Rabbi Weisblum said in the previous video I posted is true. It is so sad that my brother was the 'favorite' son, the younger son who was adored. It is not that I was jealous of him and I never wished him any harm, but this story of the parsha always reminds me of this family dynamic.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 02:52:46 AM »
I need to get to work early tomorrow for a 'conference call' with a co-worker in Europe... So I need to start getting ready to 'crash'.. But I am naturally not tired... May Hashem grant me a good morning, and a safe trip...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 03:04:41 AM »
Ok, one more then its time for me to 'sign off' for the night...

The personable, friendly, and righteous Rabbi Machlis in Jerusalem talks about our portion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 03:28:11 PM »
http://www.torah.org/learning/hamaayan/5774/vayeishev.html

Parshas Vayeishev
The Lost Jewel

Last week’s parashah ended with a list of Esav’s descendants and their family groupings. Our parashah opens (37:1): “Yaakov settled in the land of his father's sojournings, in the land of Canaan.” Rashi writes: “After the Torah has described the settlements of Esav and his descendants in a brief manner . . . it explains clearly and at length the settlements made by Yaakov and his descendants and all the events which brought these about, because these are regarded by the Omnipresent as of sufficient importance to speak of them at length. Thus, too, you will find that in the case of the ten generations from Adam to Noach it states, ‘So and so fathered so and so,’ but when it reaches Noach it deals with him at length; Similarly, of the ten generations from Noach to Avraham it gives but a brief account, but when it comes to Avraham it speaks of him more fully. This may be compared to the case of a jewel that falls into the sand; a man searches in the sand, sifts it in a s ieve until he finds the jewel; when he has found the jewel, he throws away the pebbles and keeps the jewel.”

What is Rashi adding with the parable about the lost jewel? Moreover, couldn’t the Torah have told us the history of Yaakov’s family without telling us the history of Esav’s family?

R’ Tzaddok Hakohen z”l (1823-1900; rebbe in Lublin) explains: Yaakov’s family is discussed alongside Esav’s family to allude to the Jew who is lost among the gentiles – the jewel lost in the sand. Even that “jewel” still sparkles with the glow leftover from the revelation at Har Sinai, Rashi is telling us. Even that Jew is not really lost, for he will someday return to us. (Quoted in Mi’gedolei Ha’chassidut Vol. VII, p.61)

“He said to them, ‘Hear, if you please, this dream which I dreamt. Behold! -- we were binding sheaves in the middle of the field, when, behold! -- my sheaf arose and remained standing; then behold! -- your sheaves gathered around and bowed down to my sheaf.’

“His brothers said to him, ‘Would you then reign over us? Would you then dominate us?’” (37:6-8)

R’ Eliyahu David Rabinowitz-Teomim (the “Aderet”; 1845-1905; rabbi of Mir and Ponovezh and Assistant Rabbi of Yerushalayim) asks: Why did the brothers react as they did? Where in Yosef’s dream is there a hint that he expected to be a king?

He explains by coupling two comments of the Midrash Rabbah. First, the midrash reports that Yosef told his brothers, “You were gathering fruit and I was gathering fruit. Yours was rotten, and mine had staying power.”

Second, on the verse (Bereishit 41:1), “It happened at the end of two years to the day - Pharaoh was dreaming . . . ,” the midrash comments: “Was only Pharaoh dreaming and everyone else was not dreaming? Rather, the verse is teaching that when a king dreams, he dreams about matters that affect everyone.”

Thus, writes the Aderet, when the brothers heard that Yosef dreamt not only about his fruits, but also about theirs, they realized that he was *dreaming* like a king. (Seder Parshiyot)

R’ Baruch of Kosov z”l (18th century chassidic rebbe) writes that the midrash’s comment is alluded to in our verse: “My sheaf arose *and remained standing*.” This is what caused Yosef’s brothers to eventually bow down to him, as the verse continues, “Your sheaves gathered around and bowed down to my sheaf.” (Yesod Ha’Torah)

“Midianite men, traders, passed by; they drew Yosef up and lifted him out of the pit and sold Yosef to the Ishmaelites for twenty pieces of silver.” (37:28)

Targum Yonatan ben Uziel, the Aramaic translation dating to the times of the Mishnah, states: “They sold Yosef to Arabs for twenty pieces of silver and bought shoes with the money.” Similarly, we read in this week’s haftarah (Amos 2:6), “So said Hashem, ‘For three rebellious sins of Israel -- but should I not exact retribution for the fourth -- for their having sold a righteous man for silver, and a destitute one for the sake of a pair of shoes?’”

R’ Shlomo Wolbe z”l (1914-2005) notes that the Torah does not criticize the Yosef’s brothers for their hostile attitude toward Yosef. After all, they considered Yosef to be a rodef / pursuer in that they believed Yosef wanted Yaakov to disown the brothers of their spiritual inheritance as Avraham had disowned Yishmael and Yitzchak had done to Esav.

In contrast, the Torah does criticize the brothers for selling Yosef. Why? Targum Yonatan is teaching that it was because they bought shoes. They derived personal benefit from the deed, thus demonstrating that their motives were not as pure as they themselves believed. (Shiurei Chumash Mi’pi Maran Ha’mashgiach R’ Shlomo Wolbe)

“They [the butler and the baker] said to him, ‘We dreamt a dream, but there is no interpreter for it.’ So Yosef said to them, ‘Do not interpretations belong to G-d? Relate it to me, if you please’.” (Bereishit 40:8)

Why did Yosef get involved? R’ Hanoch Henach of Alesk z”l (chassidic rebbe; died 1884) explains:

We read in Tehilim (105:2), “Speak His wonders.” Accordingly, Yosef wanted to bring honor to Hashem’s Name by creating opportunities for the Egyptians to become aware of His wonders. And his plan succeeded, for Pharaoh said (in next week’s parashah -- 41:39), “Since G-d has informed you of all this, there can be no one so discerning and wise as you.” (Lev Sameach)

“In another three days, Pharaoh will lift up your head and will restore you to your post, and you will place Pharaoh’s cup in his hand as was the former practice when you were his cupbearer. If only you would think of me (‘ki im zechartani’) with yourself when he benefits you, and you will do me a kindness, if you please, and mention me to Pharaoh, then you would get me out of this place.” (40:13-14)

Why did Yosef add the words, “as was the former practice”? Also, what did he mean by the words, “ki im zechartani” (commonly translated, “If only you would think of me”). R’ Noach Rabinowitz z”l (Lithuania; late 19th century) explains: If someone was jailed and then obtained an early release without any conditions or restrictions, it typically is because the authorities have discovered that he is innocent and was, in fact, falsely imprisoned. However, if someone really is guilty – as was Pharaoh’s butler – and he not only is released from prison but also is returned to his royal post, there must be something going on behind the scenes.

This is what Yosef meant: You will regain the same job that you had formerly, even though you deserve to be punished for your crime. Why? ‘ki im zechartani’ / Only so that you will remember me. It is for that purpose alone that Hashem is returning you to the palace. (Toldot Noach)

“For indeed I was kidnaped from the land of the Hebrews . . .” (40:15)

R’ Moshe Zuriel shlita (former mashgiach ruchani of Yeshivat Sha’alvim) writes: At first glance, the sin of Yosef’s brothers was kidnaping. However, some kabbalists say that the true severity of their sin was due to the fact that they deprived a tzaddik of the opportunity to live in Eretz Yisrael.

R’ Zuriel continues: The Zohar Chadash teaches that the reason Bnei Yisrael were in exile in Egypt for 210 years was that Yosef’s 10 brothers -- Binyamin did not participate -- forced Yosef to be separated from his family for 22 years (10 x 22 = 220). From this, Hashem subtracted 10 years as compensation for the pain that the 10 brothers felt as a result of dying outside of Eretz Yisrael, leaving a “sentence” of 210 years. (Drishat Zion)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 12:32:49 AM »
We should learn from Rabbi Shlomo Katz about the importance of dreams...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 01:40:15 AM »
Our erudite leader at JTF, Chaim Ben Pesach delivers a short thought on our parsha...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 01:48:47 AM »
Rabbi Zachariah Wallerstein gives a long talk on our Righteous Yosef, and his encounter with the lascivious wife of his master Potiphar.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »
We should learn from Rabbi Shlomo Katz about the importance of dreams...

Great, great video!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.