Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
Happy Thanksgiving
« on: November 25, 2013, 08:41:50 PM »
I would like to wish every JTFer here a very happy Thanksgiving as well a very happy Hanakkah.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 08:47:57 PM »
Yes, Happy Hanukkah/ Thanksgiving everyone!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 08:50:46 PM »
Happy Hannukah, Happy Thanksgiving...

I will be celebrating Hannukah first night with my community (Menorah lighting and 8th-Day band) and then on the Thanksgiving we will have a Thanksgiving meal...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:29:26 PM »
Happy Hannukah, Happy Thanksgiving...

I will be celebrating Hannukah first night with my community (Menorah lighting and 8th-Day band) and then on the Thanksgiving we will have a Thanksgiving meal...

You should say you are having a Hanukkah feast on Thanksgiving. Just like I called my Thanksgiving meal in 2008 a Rosh Chodesh feast. If you eat bread, it becomes a seudat mitzvah with Al HaNisim.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 08:21:56 AM »
Thank you, even though Thanksgiving is actually Thursday.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:49:24 PM by Wanderingsamurai81 »
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 08:44:15 AM »
בס''ד

Happy Thanksgiving to our Gentile members.

Jews should not celebrate or offer thanksgiving for being outside of Israel. It is a sin for Jews to live outside of Israel and to offer thanks for this is a double sin. It was this sin that caused the threat of a holocaust on Purim.

Offline The Noachide

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:18:24 AM »
time to blast thanksgiving Metal

• Silver Star JTF Member
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 08:48:57 PM »
wow, on the same day.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 12:24:04 AM »
It is Thanksgivikah already... We are having a small at my home where we will thank Hashem for all the blessing we had despite the sad state of our nation. With Hashems help we will be able to turn this mess around.

May all the righteous Gentiles be granted blessing for their dedication to the cause.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 10:59:07 AM »
Thank you Joe

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »
בס''ד

Happy Thanksgiving to our Gentile members.

Jews should not celebrate or offer thanksgiving for being outside of Israel. It is a sin for Jews to live outside of Israel and to offer thanks for this is a double sin. It was this sin that caused the threat of a holocaust on Purim.
It's not a sin to offer fellow human beings a Happy Thanksgiving.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 11:14:36 PM »
This was sent to me from youtube, I don't know why or how, buts it's funny.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 11:25:45 PM »
Pretty funny sheesh there Ephraim...

Last I spoke with my mother she was making a Brisket for the Thanksgiving family potluck back east. I just wrote her tonight to find out how it went...

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 11:34:19 PM »
Pretty funny sheesh there Ephraim...

Last I spoke with my mother she was making a Brisket for the Thanksgiving family potluck back east. I just wrote her tonight to find out how it went...
I'm kinda worried, Chaim said it's not good for Jews to celebrate Thanksgiving...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 12:17:34 AM »
I'm kinda worried, Chaim said it's not good for Jews to celebrate Thanksgiving...

I believe what Chaim said yet I forgive my mother and those like her for engaging in private, mainly kosher get togethers. As the sages have not forbade it I do not think it is a sin. What Chaim said is true that we should not emulate the ways of the nations which we live in, because it will lead to assimilation. I understand his comparison to the feast that King Achashveros made in the Purim story. This is why I did not go to work on Tuesday, my company was holding a big Thanksgiving feast where nothing would be kosher. Rather than being embarrassed by this I just emailed in that I was taking the day off and my boss was fine with it.

We should work hard, without alienating, all these Jews who are leaning toward hellenism to re-evaluate their actions. We risk losing our heritage when the host nation's heritage is mixed into our own.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 03:17:54 PM »
Shalom,

I just ran across an 'Ask the Rabbi' on this topic, and it appears that Chaim is in agreement with the overall conclusion concerning a Jew observing the non-Jewish day of Thanksgiving. It is in agreement with a thread I started a couple of years ago where I investigated the various rabbinic opinions on this question..

http://www.yeshiva.co/ask/?id=6629

Question:

This year, Hanukkah and Thanksgiving overlap.
This rare event causes a Buzz, at least in the United States. A special turkey Menorah was designed and the holiday has a special name: Thanksgivukkah.
Does this event have meaning in Judaism?
Thanks

Answer:

The issue of Jews celebrating Thanksgiving at all, is a problematic one. We must remember that our presence in exile, even comfortable and relatively hospitable galuyot like America, are a punishment and no reason to party (as we say in Musaf, “Mipneh chata’einu galinu meArtzenu”). As the Chatam Sofer writes, one shouldn’t build a strong or new house in chutz laAretz, because we should mourn the fact that we are even there, and to the contrary, should dream of building our permanent homes in Eretz Yisrael where it’s a mitzvah, not a curse (Resp. Chatam Sofer, Y.D. 138)! The Torah curses us, “Among these nations (in exile) you shall find no ease neither shall your foot find a place to rest”, (Dvarim 28, 65), and our rabbis add: (Eichah Rabba 1, 29) “…for if they would find a place to rest, they would not want to return (to Eretz Yisrael). See the Or Samea’ch’s Meshech Chochma, VaYikra 26,42, who warned well before the Holocaust, those who feel that Berlin is their Y’rushalayim, a terrible storm will eventually uproot them and remind them not to feel “too German” or “too American”, for that sake. Moslems and Christians can be Americans, for they are religions- and not nationalities: e.g. if one isn’t religious he simply isn’t Muslim or Christian. But in Judaism, even an atheist is still Jewish, for Israel/Judaism is also our nationality, not just our religion. True, America, from their point of view, may consider Jews temporary living there as “one of them” and that’s very kind, but that clearly doesn’t change Judaism’s objective and eternal definition of how we Jews are meant to identify ourselves.

Our rabbis explain that Moshe was not buried in Israel, as a punishment for identifying himself as an Egyptian (Shmot 2, 19) and not as an Israeli, even though he truly grew up in Egypt and never was in Israel, because all Jews wherever they are, should always identify themselves as Hebrews from the Land of Israel (Dvarim Rabba 2, 8).

Accordingly, most poskim like R. Moshe Feinstein (Igrot Moshe Or. Ch. V, 20), R. Ephraim Greenblatt (cited in next source), and R. Menashe Klein (X, Yor.D. 116, who feels it may even be an isur d’oraita to do as the gentiles), opined that one shouldn’t celebrate Thanksgiving at all, for America is not our home, and her holidays are not ours.

Accordingly, even if one wants to thank God for the temporary relatively-safe haven in America, it definitely shouldn’t be seen as a Jewish holiday, and how much more so, there is absolutely no significance to the fact that a holiday of some other nationality may coincidentally and rarely fall on the holiday of our nationality/religion (just as there’s no significance that Xmas falls out even more often on Chanuka). Except for the significance that, like the case of Jonathan Pollard, it’s an opportunity to help many Jews clarify their real identity, their real homeland, and their real holidays, when tremendous “thanksgiving” to God is truly necessary and obligatory, for example, Yom HaAtzma’ut, Israel Independence Day- when God expressly gave the Jewish nation our real and permanent homeland.

With Love Of Israel,

Rav Ari Shvat

Also See : http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/224,2172785/What-is-the-Jewish-view-on-Thanksgiving.html

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »
Hodu L'Hashem Ki Tov... Ki Laolam Chasdo...

Give thanks to G-d for he is Good, His Kindness endures forever...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 03:56:48 PM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »
Thank Hashem every day, thank him for what you have, thank him for what you want, thank him for the big things, and the little ones...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 04:41:48 PM »
Thank Hashem for the luxury which we live in today, compared to the way our forefathers who struggled each day to survive. We live in a nation of such wealth and prosperity where even the poorest American lives with a standard of living above most others in the world. The abundance of food and technology today should make us so incredibly happy, and the way to express this happiness is through thanking the source of our blessing.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 04:47:57 PM »
Cantorial Hodu Lashem...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 04:53:34 PM »
Shlomo Carlebach's Borchi Nafshi:

1. My soul, bless the Lord. My God, You are very great, You are attired with majesty and beauty.       א. בָּרְכִי נַפְשִׁי אֶת יְהֹוָה יְהֹוָה אֱלֹהַי גָּדַלְתָּ מְּאֹד הוֹד וְהָדָר לָבָשְׁתָּ:
2. [You] enwrap Yourself with light like a garment; [You] extend the heavens like a curtain.       ב. עֹטֶה אוֹר כַּשַּׂלְמָה נוֹטֶה שָׁמַיִם כַּיְרִיעָה:
3. Who roofs His upper chambers with water; Who makes clouds His chariot, which goes on the wings of the wind.       ג. הַמְקָרֶה בַמַּיִם עֲלִיּוֹתָיו הַשָּׂם עָבִים רְכוּבוֹ הַמְהַלֵּךְ עַל כַּנְפֵי רוּחַ:
4. He makes winds His messengers, burning fire His ministers.       ד. עֹשֶׂה מַלְאָכָיו רוּחוֹת מְשָׁרֲתָיו אֵשׁ לֹהֵט:
5. He founded the earth on its foundations that it not falter to eternity.       ה. יָסַד אֶרֶץ עַל מְכוֹנֶיהָ בַּל תִּמּוֹט עוֹלָם וָעֶד:
6. You covered the deep as [with] a garment; the waters stand on the mountains.       ו. תְּהוֹם כַּלְּבוּשׁ כִּסִּיתוֹ עַל הָרִים יַעַמְדוּ מָיִם:
7. From Your rebuke they fled; from the sound of Your thunder they hastened away.       ז. מִן גַּעֲרָתְךָ יְנוּסוּן מִן קוֹל רַעַמְךָ יֵחָפֵזוּן:
8. They ascended mountains, they descended into valleys to this place, which You had founded for them.       ח. יַעֲלוּ הָרִים יֵרְדוּ בְקָעוֹת אֶל מְקוֹם זֶה | יָסַדְתָּ לָהֶם:
9. You set a boundary that they should not cross, that they should not return to cover the earth.       ט. גְּבוּל שַׂמְתָּ בַּל יַעֲבֹרוּן בַּל יְשֻׁבוּן לְכַסּוֹת הָאָרֶץ:
10. He sends the springs into the streams; they go between the mountains.       י. הַמְשַׁלֵּחַ מַעְיָנִים בַּנְּחָלִים בֵּין הָרִים יְהַלֵּכוּן:
11. They water every beast of the field; the wild donkeys quench their thirst.       יא. יַשְׁקוּ כָּל חַיְתוֹ שָׂדָי יִשְׁבְּרוּ פְרָאִים צְמָאָם:
12. Beside them the fowl of the heavens dwell; from between the branches they let out their voices.       יב. עֲלֵיהֶם עוֹף הַשָּׁמַיִם יִשְׁכּוֹן מִבֵּין עֳפָאיִם יִתְּנוּ קוֹל:
13. He waters the mountains from His upper chambers; from the fruit of Your works the earth is sated.       יג. מַשְׁקֶה הָרִים מֵעֲלִיּוֹתָיו מִפְּרִי מַעֲשֶׂיךָ תִּשְׂבַּע הָאָרֶץ:
14. He causes grass to sprout for the animals and vegetation for the work of man, to bring forth bread from the earth.       יד. מַצְמִיחַ חָצִיר | לַבְּהֵמָה וְעֵשֶׂב לַעֲבֹדַת הָאָדָם לְהוֹצִיא לֶחֶם מִן הָאָרֶץ:
15. And wine, which cheers man's heart, to make the face shine from oil, and bread, which sustains man's heart.       טו. וְיַיִן | יְשַׂמַּח לְבַב אֱנוֹשׁ לְהַצְהִיל פָּנִים מִשָּׁמֶן וְלֶחֶם לְבַב אֱנוֹשׁ יִסְעָד:
16. The Lord's trees are sated, the cedars of Lebanon, which He planted.       טז. יִשְׂבְּעוּ עֲצֵי יְהֹוָה אַרְזֵי לְבָנוֹן אֲשֶׁר נָטָע:
17. Where birds nest; as for the stork-the high junipers are its home.       יז. אֲשֶׁר שָׁם צִפֳּרִים יְקַנֵּנוּ חֲסִידָה בְּרוֹשִׁים בֵּיתָהּ:
18. The lofty mountains for the ibexes; the rocks a shelter for the hyraxes.       יח. הָרִים הַגְּבֹהִים לַיְּעֵלִים סְלָעִים מַחְסֶּה לַשְׁפַנִּים:
19. He made the moon for the appointed seasons; the sun knows its setting.       יט. עָשָׂה יָרֵחַ לְמוֹעֲדִים שֶׁמֶשׁ יָדַע מְבוֹאוֹ:
20. You make darkness and it is night, in which every beast of the forest moves about.       כ. תָּשֶׁת חֹשֶׁךְ וִיהִי לָיְלָה בּוֹ תִרְמֹשׂ כָּל חַיְתוֹ יָעַר:
21. The young lions roar for prey and to beg their food from God.       כא. הַכְּפִירִים שֹׁאֲגִים לַטָּרֶף וּלְבַקֵּשׁ מֵאֵל אָכְלָם:
22. When the sun rises they gather in and couch in their dens.       כב. תִּזְרַח הַשֶּׁמֶשׁ יֵאָסֵפוּן וְאֶל מְעוֹנֹתָם יִרְבָּצוּן:
23. Man goes out to his work, to his labor until evening.       כג. יֵצֵא אָדָם לְפָעֳלוֹ וְלַעֲבֹדָתוֹ עֲדֵי עָרֶב:
24. How great are Your works, O Lord! You have made them all with wisdom; the earth is full of Your possessions!       כד. מָה רַבּוּ מַעֲשֶׂיךָ | יְהֹוָה כֻּלָּם בְּחָכְמָה עָשִׂיתָ מָלְאָה הָאָרֶץ קִנְיָנֶךָ:
25. This sea-great and wide; there are creeping things and innumerable beasts, both small and large.       כה. זֶה | הַיָּם גָּדוֹל וּרְחַב יָדָיִם שָׁם רֶמֶשׂ וְאֵין מִסְפָּר חַיּוֹת קְטַנּוֹת עִם גְּדֹלוֹת:
26. There the ships go; You formed this leviathan with which to sport.       כו. שָׁם אֳנִיּוֹת יְהַלֵּכוּן לִוְיָתָן זֶה | יָצַרְתָּ לְשַׂחֶק בּוֹ:
27. They all look to You with hope, to give their food in its time.       כז. כֻּלָּם אֵלֶיךָ יְשַׂבֵּרוּן לָתֵת אָכְלָם בְּעִתּוֹ:
28. You give them that they may gather; You open Your hand that they may be sated with goodness.       כח. תִּתֵּן לָהֶם יִלְקֹטוּן תִּפְתַּח יָדְךָ יִשְׂבְּעוּן טוֹב:
29. You hide Your countenance and they are frightened; You gather in their spirit and they perish and return to their dust.       כט. תַּסְתִּיר פָּנֶיךָ יִבָּהֵלוּן תֹּסֵף רוּחָם יִגְוָעוּן וְאֶל עֲפָרָם יְשׁוּבוּן:
30. You will send forth Your spirit and they will be created, and You will renew the surface of the ground.       ל. תְּשַׁלַּח רוּחֲךָ יִבָּרֵאוּן וּתְחַדֵּשׁ פְּנֵי אֲדָמָה:
31. The glory of the Lord will be forever; the Lord will rejoice with His works.       לא. יְהִי כְבוֹד יְהֹוָה לְעוֹלָם יִשְׂמַח יְהֹוָה בְּמַעֲשָׂיו:
32. He Who looks at the earth and it quakes; He touches the mountains and they emit smoke.       לב. הַמַּבִּיט לָאָרֶץ וַתִּרְעָד יִגַּע בֶּהָרִים וְיֶעֱשָׁנוּ:
33. I shall sing to the Lord while I am alive; I shall sing praises to my God as long as I exist.       לג. אָשִׁירָה לַיהֹוָה בְּחַיָּי אֲזַמְּרָה לֵאלֹהַי בְּעוֹדִי:
34. May my speech be pleasing to Him; I shall rejoice with the Lord.       לד. יֶעֱרַב עָלָיו שִׂיחִי אָנֹכִי אֶשְׂמַח בַּיהֹוָה:
35. Sinners will be destroyed from the earth and the wicked will be no more; my soul, bless the Lord. Hallelujah.       לה. יִתַּמּוּ חַטָּאִים | מִן הָאָרֶץ וּרְשָׁעִים | עוֹד אֵינָם בָּרְכִי נַפְשִׁי אֶת יְהֹוָה הַלְלוּיָהּ:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2013, 05:04:26 PM »

And here is 'Simply Tzfat' doing the melody of 'Borchi Nafshi'..