Author Topic: Apparently, NY is full of 'Kahanists'  (Read 737 times)

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
Apparently, NY is full of 'Kahanists'
« on: November 30, 2013, 10:59:11 AM »
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/04/a-concert-of-kahanists.html

A Concert of Kahanists

Yesterday, for the nineteenth year running, in a concert in Central Park, American Orthodox Jewry and the Israeli right unapologetically laid claim to the Whole Land of Israel.

This year, the concert (which originated in anti-Oslo activism of the 1990’s) was sponsored by Young Israel Chovevei Zion and gave special thanks to the National Council of Young Israel.  Yes, you read that right: Young Israel, the umbrella for over 150 mainstream Orthodox congregations in America, is up to its neck in Kahanists.

Every person I spoke to at the concert was in favor of a single state for Jews and believed that the Arabs belonged… elsewhere. Sometimes the attitude was practical (“the status quo is not going to work”), sometimes entitled (“it’s our country and we can do what we want with it”). But it was unchallenged. Students arriving from the parade wore school T-shirts with maps depicting a whole, unified Israel. Sure, schools like Ramaz and Heschel had avoided the issue by not drawing a map at all, but at the concert, Jewish one-staters, Transferists and pure Kahanists predominated.  Some people even had big yellow stickers saying, “Kahane was Right.”

Mixed with this crypto-fascism were all the most innocent (if I hadn’t grown up in NCSY, I’d say kitschy) trappings of Modern Orthodox culture in America. To borrow a phrase from the acute observer of American Orthodoxy, Alan Brill, I was basically at a Modern Orthodox pride event. There were healthy helpings of ballpark fare—hamburgers, hotdogs and ices—all from the glatt kosher Mendy’s. Little boys belted out Bible verses in gloriously high-toned, prepubescent voices.  (For the record, I like the Miami Boys Choir.) The usual sloganeers, modulating their message to fit current events, were all there—playing to an audience of enthusiasts: Danny Danon entreated the US government to free Jonathan Pollard and all Jews to support Israel unconditionally. Rabbi Haim Druckman called those who seek to destroy houses in the illegal Givat Ulpana neighborhood of Beit El “evildoers.” And Nahum Segal, among others, encouraged the purchase of all Israeli products—in Green Line Israel and beyond.

But those on stage seemed mild compared to some of the audience members.  A young man who worked in finance wearing a Kach T-shirt called Kahane’s solution for Middle East peace “practical.”  A couple of ideological college students said, “it would be great if we had another Kahane.” And a lanky young man who refused to give his name (but announced that he had studied for two years at the Telstone Yeshiva in Israel) proclaimed that he’d “rather give something to a Jew than to a raghead.”

The terribly sad thing was that there was no counterweight to this celebration of intolerance; no attempt was made to reclaim Zionism from that Telstone Yeshiva kid. The financier with the T-shirt said he hadn’t gotten a single “bad” reaction to the Jewish Defense League symbol so proudly displayed on his chest. As a man distributing outdated Kahanist literature at the Park’s entrance pointed out, for the right, dogmatic Kahanism is just as relevant today it was 25 years ago. I wish I could disagree.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Apparently, NY is full of 'Kahanists'
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 09:29:11 PM »
Wish I knew about this concert!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 10:53:07 PM »
It is good news that there is a growing Kahanist movement. I just had two people subscribe to my blog today. I wonder if this is related to this event..

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 11:39:23 PM »
Why are places that prohibit Jews from defending themselves full of Jews who want to defend themselves??  I wish these people would come out to the Northwest and help replace the liberal weanie Jews who populate the area.   Seriously, I feel very alone here and have no Jewish friends, but I love the mindset of many Northwestern people and the freedoms I have here.    Funny enough, in The Northwest you can own any type of gun you want (well almost), defend your property, defend your family and yourself.  Somehow, all the "Kahanists" need to stay in New York, the state that made owning semi auto handguns, essentially illegal, by criminalizing magazine ownership.   This is also the state that published the addresses and names of all people who have concealed handgun licenses in the newspapers.   Yeah, I am sure Kahane would want all the Jews to congregate in a place where Jews are not allowed to own weapons or defend themselves and be at the mercy of the government.   It seems like we Jews have a habit of doing this.  First, everyone wants to live in Germany, then Poland, now New York.  Three police states with an anti-Semitic government that prohibits self-defense of the Juden, but they have great kosher delis and we can walk to shul, so let's all please live there.
Please keep the Kahanist movement strong and free of internal strife and drama.

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 07:30:34 PM »
This concert takes place every year, its pretty cool. Its always in the summer usually in June. Its definetly one of the few Jewish right wing events that gets a big audience every year. Maybe JTF should go as a group this coming summer.
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 07:37:50 PM »
This concert takes place every year, its pretty cool. Its always in the summer usually in June. Its definetly one of the few Jewish right wing events that gets a big audience every year. Maybe JTF should go as a group this coming summer.

Yea its very nice. Last time I was their though was during 2005 (wooow) and I do remember both Kahanist t-shirts being sold and also Orange T-Shirts given out for free for students.

It was the Israeli day parade.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.