Author Topic: Favorite Hanakah gift  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
Favorite Hanakah gift
« on: December 02, 2013, 05:35:57 PM »
What is your favorite gift that your parents gave you on Hanukah?  Mine was the Imperail Walker from Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back

Offline AirGunner

• Junior JTFer
  • עוד כהנא חי
Re: Favorite Hanakah gift
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 06:38:16 PM »
Not a gift from my parents, but this Hanukkah I bought myself a Meprolight M21 (Bullseye Reticle) to complete my semi-auto M4orgery! ;D
כִּי בְתַחְבֻּלוֹת, תַּעֲשֶׂה-לְּךָ מִלְחָמָה

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 07:27:01 PM »
What is your favorite gift that your parents gave you on Hanukah?  Mine was the Imperail Walker from Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That was mine too!!!!!    I loved that toy... it was the most expensive gift I ever got....   My mom still remembers it vividly... and my son was just recently asking if I could find it for him.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 07:53:28 PM »
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That was mine too!!!!!    I loved that toy... it was the most expensive gift I ever got....   My mom still remembers it vividly... and my son was just recently asking if I could find it for him.

I still have mine and it's in good condidtion.  I also have the Tauntoun as well.  The AT-AT is the only vechicle I have from the orginal films.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 08:05:54 PM »
Oh the memories, waking up on Chanukah and running downstairs to the Chanukah bush by the fireplace where the stockings were hung, full of Chanukah gelt... The cookies we left for Matishyahu Maccabee were eaten, we presumed by Matisyahu himself...

Wait... that is not my memory... I don't know who's memory that is...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 08:08:38 PM »
I used to like to get Slot-car and electric train sets when my parents got us Chanukah gifts.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 09:59:39 PM »
I didn't get Chanukah gifts, we celebrated Xmas. I don't remember my favorite gift, but I do remember opening my uncle up on Xmas, after he got out of prison. :::D
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »
I like getting money.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 10:09:55 PM »
I never believed in Channukah gifts.  Nor did my family.  This holiday is not an imitation of Christmas. 

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 10:25:43 PM »
I never believed in Channukah gifts.  Nor did my family.  This holiday is not an imitation of Christmas.

Sfardic Jews give money on Purim.

My Ashkenazic grandfather would give us coin sets from the US Mint. He was a coin collector.

Giving money is of Jewish origin. That's where Hanukkah gelt comes from. I guess it comes from encouraging children to give tzedekah.

It's funny though that even Haredi sites like ArtScroll advertise for "Cyber Monday". They even had an earlier Cyber Monday because Hanukkah was early but they had a second one today. They have a 20% off sale every Hanukkah season and also in June.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 10:28:36 PM »

Sfardic Jews give money on Purim.

My Ashkenazic grandfather would give us coin sets from the US Mint. He was a coin collector.

Giving money is of Jewish origin. That's where Hanukkah gelt comes from. I guess it comes from encouraging children to give tzedekah.

It's funny though that even Haredi sites like ArtScroll advertise for "Cyber Monday". They even had an earlier Cyber Monday because Hanukkah was early but they had a second one today. They have a 20% off sale every Hanukkah season and also in June.

I think these sales are kosher... If I were to give gifts I would certainly give Jewish books...