Author Topic: Neshama Carlebach is off the derech?  (Read 7805 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Neshama Carlebach is off the derech?
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »
While I don't hold to the chumra of Kol Isha, there is a difference between hearing a woman sing in public and having women sing as part of a synagogue service or as women having a women's Torah reading (Like the Dykes of the Wall).

I suppose women can have their own service as long as they don't do things that require a minyan. I remember hearing that Neshama Carlebach leads Kabbalat Shabbat for women only. But I think she also does it for Conservative synagogues.

I have some of her songs on my computer but her new songs are done together with an UMM HMM church choir that makes Jewish songs sound like UMM HMM. Now I see this disturbing article she posted on Facebook. I wonder what her father would have said if was still alive knowing she is doing stuff like this. Obviously from the Next World, his soul is in pain.

Why I Am Making 'Aliyah' to Reform Jewry

Reb Shlomo's Daughter on Being 'Refugee' From Orthodoxy

By Neshama Carlebach

Related Articles
•An Anthem for All?
•Hatikvah Redux and Carlebach Responds

(JTA) — I grew up Jewish. Simply Jewish.

My late father, Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach, raised us in an observant Orthodox household. Our lives were filled with beautiful ritual and we celebrated the wonder of a familial spiritual connection.

That said, we also danced along the fine line of progressive Judaism. My father’s Torah was an expression of the beauty of Judaism. He taught the world to love and cherish Shabbat – even on a Tuesday – and to love Jewish rituals in an open hearted, expansively spiritual way that often set him apart and alienated him from many established religious groups.

My father’s true goal was to raise Jewish life above the rote performance of ritual acts. He wanted the light and redemptive message of the Torah to make all of humanity deeper – more empathetic, loving and capable of kindness. He often said that effecting global healing was the reason we were in the world to begin with.

Though it sometimes got him in trouble with the Orthodox establishment, my father was an active member and lover of all interfaith experiences. He attended many different houses of worship, sang with people of all colors, faiths and backgrounds, and attended conferences where he spoke about finding true unity for all of God’s children.

Significantly, he encouraged women to learn and read Torah. At his synagogue he created the space for women to physically dance with the the Torah and stand all the way up, next to the ark on holidays.

For this passion and commitment, my father’s life was complicated. Within the Orthodox world he was a visionary who stood alone and was too often lonely.

As the daughter of this great man, I bear witness to the intolerance, cruelty and ostracism he suffered for daring to step outside the “daled amot” (personal space) of observant Jewish life. As his child, I suffered alongside him when he tried to give me a platform to sing, the outcry from my Orthodox brothers and sisters invariably drowning out my voice and suffocating my love for Jewish tradition.

Strengthened by my father’s love and vision, I persisted. It was not easy being taunted and called names, hearing angry voices and seeing the enraged faces of those who believed – genuinely believed – that what I called prayer was an affront to God. Looking back, I believe that the ugliness I saw was not motivated by a desire to hurt me personally but by a deep misunderstanding of the message of our Torah and what it means to be a Jew in the modern world.

Looking back, I feel sadness and sorrow for this narrow vision, this narrow place, an Egypt of the mind – mitzrayim. I know, as my father knew, that the redemption of the world will come from the opposite impulse: expansive love and inclusivity. Isn’t that what klal Yisrael (the whole of the Jewish community) is about?

I have just experienced klal Yisrael in an amazing way, having returned from a most remarkable event – the biennial convention of the Union for Reform Judaism, the URJ. 5,000 people strong, it is one of the most spirited and important events in the Jewish world, and the largest spirituality-oriented gathering of Jews in North America.

Before I arrived at the convention center in San Diego, I felt honored and excited at the opportunity to be able to offer my music and heart to those with whom I don’t often have the chance to connect – my Reform brothers and sisters. The Conservative Jewish world has been a warm and loving home away from home for me (and I had the dazzling experience of joining “The Conversation of the Century” by headlining at the centennial of the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism this past October in Baltimore). Many of the Conservative Jews I know share practices and beliefs close to the open-minded Orthodoxy I experienced as a child. But Reform synagogues have always been “the shuls I didn’t attend.”

That world was far away from mine – or so I thought.

Boarding the plane for the West Coast, I did not know what to expect; I certainly had no inkling of the personal transformation that awaited me. So, it is with an overflowing heart and soul that I must report, as I did on the stage on Saturday night, that my soul made an aliyah (coming up) at the URJ’s biennial.

Simply put, I had no idea how extraordinary Reform Judaism was. The tikkun olam mandate is so strongly bound up with the movement, and in the most joyous of ways. I was overwhelmed by the music, by the davening (prayer) and yes, my Orthodox friends, by the ever-present light of Torah. To give you an idea of the stellar caliber of Reform Judaism, here is a link to a keynote address given by Rabbi Rick Jacobs, the URJ president.

In his passionate talk, Rabbi Jacobs spoke about the commitment to a path of progressive change, to inclusivity, social justice, nurturing the next generation, egalitarian values and spiritual relationship to all that the Torah stands for. Standing among 4,999 other delegates, I almost couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I found myself moved to tears, inspired and grateful. And when Rabbi David Ellenson, the outgoing head of Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion spoke on Shabbat morning, his warmth and scholarship opened my eyes as well as my heart.

Having felt like a refugee from Orthodoxy for the past couple of decades, I feel like I found a new family with values I can get behind. And so, at my show on Saturday night, I told the audience I was making aliyah to the Reform movement. I know that statement made a great sound byte, but I meant every word. To be clear, when one makes aliyah, they take all parts of themselves with them. I have not abandoned anything that is intrinsic to me; I’ve simply expanded myself and been elevated. I’ve been blessed.

In San Diego, I touched something brand new and yet deeply familiar. It reminded me of my father’s teachings. It gave me a feeling of homecoming.

And perhaps that is the best that we can aspire to: a homecoming. Let us return again and again to the land of our souls. Let us transcend our differences and discover that we are one people, regardless of our label, movement or denomination. Let us make aliyah every day to who we are, to what we are, to where we are born and reborn again.

Neshama Carlebach, daughter of the late Jewish singer-songwriter Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach, is a singer who performs at venues throughout the world.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Neshama Carlebach is off the derech?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 04:54:17 PM »
   I didn't read this article, but I did hear of some Rabbi's bashing Carlbach before. At least what I heard was that he would hug women at his concerts and do wacky things. Another said he was crazy.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:03:25 PM »
There is no reason to spread lashon hara about Rabbi Carlebach...

What his daughter does is her own responsibility, it doesn't detract from the excellent work he has done.

And Tag, those were un-confirmed rumors which were spread... You are just acting as a spreader of gossip...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 05:07:35 PM »
To me it looks like she spreads more lashon hara about her father's straying out of Judaism then anyone else.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 05:08:04 PM »
This is about her work with an affirmative action church choir to help the blacks in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Neshama Carlebach arrives in New Orleans for benefit concert

Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach and daughter Neshama (© Joan Roth)

Neshama Carlebach, one of Rabbi Shlomo Carlebach's two daughters and the most well-known performer who has followed in his illustrious footsteps, has already arrived in New Orleans. Carlebach is working in St. Bernard Parish rehabbing a home today as a precursor to her upcoming "Go You Forth" concert to benefit Mazon, the Jewish group that fights hunger. Thursday evening Carlebach, who has felt an affinity with New Orleans even before Hurricane Katrina, has been mortified with what happened to the city in the wake of the flooding that followed the storm. Her most recent CD release, "Higher and Higher" on Sojourn Records came out today. On it she is joined by the 40-member Green Pastures Baptish Church Choir (led by the Reverend Roger Hambrick) in ten songs penned mostly by her famous rabbi father, known to many the world over as "the singing rabbi." Produced by Mark Ambrosino, this CD is part of Carlebach's vision to help the city of New Orleans recover. The project is called "Soul Journey" and it is her hope that this will be one of many such concerts to help the city and the musical community here recover and prosper once again. Carlebach makes it no secret that she loves the music that has come out of New Orleans, especially that from jazz giants like Ellis Marsalis, who will also perform this Thursday evening at 8:00 p.m. at Touro Synagogue. Sixteen members of the Green Patures Baptist Church Choir (including Rev. Hambrick) will join Carlebach on stage as well. Tickets are only $18 in advance and $20 at the door. Group tickets are $10 each, but must be purcharsed through the Mazon site. For more information call Touro Synagogue at 504-895-4843.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 05:08:07 PM »
I wish Neshama only good things... May she see the error of her current 'derech' and return some day soon, bringing with her a bunch of newly observant ex-reform...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 05:09:59 PM »
To me it looks like she spreads more lashon hara about her father's straying out of Judaism then anyone else.

I missed it... What Lashon Hara did she speak about her father?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 05:11:04 PM »
I have no problem with them singing with non-Jewish members. That is not an issue to me... The issue is whether or not they keep Halacha... There is no prohibition from singing with people of any ethnicity...

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 05:13:25 PM »
I bet the soul of Shlomo is suffering from his daughters stab in the back...

If she doesn't do teshuva I am sure she will suffer in gehinnom, due to her misleading poor Jews into following her down the path toward certain Jewish death...

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 05:14:50 PM »
I wish Neshama only good things... May she see the error of her current 'derech' and return some day soon, bringing with her a bunch of newly observant ex-reform...

She probably still keeps Shabbat so her kinds is rare in the Deform movement. Maybe others will learn about Shabbat from her. But many Deforms say people can do whatever they want and for some, keeping some Halacha is something they find meaningful. Some of their "rabbis" probably say it's not required but if people find it meaningful, they can choose to do it. Some might believe that it's required but have to tow the party line so they don't say what they really think. The Conservative Movement is beginning to be like that and many of their people leave the movement and become Orthodox being that it changed. There is someone at my synagogue and I heard he has Conservative semicha but he wouldn't go to their synagogues now being that it moved Leftwards while he is still the same.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »
how about that for example:

As the daughter of this great man, I bear witness to the intolerance, cruelty and ostracism he suffered for daring to step outside the “daled amot” (personal space) of observant Jewish life. As his child, I suffered alongside him when he tried to give me a platform to sing, the outcry from my Orthodox brothers and sisters invariably drowning out my voice and suffocating my love for Jewish tradition.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »

The way she grew up and how she and her father were perceived by the rest of Orthodox Jews.

(I read the article now) and yes Zelhar is correct.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 05:20:38 PM »
how about that for example:

I am sure that Rabbi Shlomo did suffer from peoples negative image of him. At first virtually all the Orthodox world rejected his methods of Kiruv. But in the end he was vindicated and many Orthodox shuls started to sing Carlebach melodies (including the Chabad I go to currently).

On the issue of Kol Isha I was not aware that he permitted it. All the videos I have seen of him he only sings with men... So I cannot say what she is talking about in particular.

He did reach out to men and women equally. I believe that there must be an outlet for Orthodox Jewish women to access the loving message which Shlomo taught...

This whole story is very troubling, sad, and unfortunate..

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 06:09:24 PM »
I am sure that Rabbi Shlomo did suffer from peoples negative image of him. At first virtually all the Orthodox world rejected his methods of Kiruv. But in the end he was vindicated and many Orthodox shuls started to sing Carlebach melodies (including the Chabad I go to currently).

On the issue of Kol Isha I was not aware that he permitted it. All the videos I have seen of him he only sings with men... So I cannot say what she is talking about in particular.

He did reach out to men and women equally. I believe that there must be an outlet for Orthodox Jewish women to access the loving message which Shlomo taught...

This whole story is very troubling, sad, and unfortunate..
I don't think rabbi Shlomo Carlebach was a heretic, but I think now his daughter tries to enlist her father's image and put postmortem words of an approval in his mouth for her choice to leave Judaism.

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 08:22:45 PM »
Let us leave this topic. Sadly Neshama has abandoned the path of her forefathers for the filth of Kefira. It is tragic but there is nothing to be done. Reb Shlomo was a righteous man but in this case his daughter has decided she would abandon the Torah for the approval of the deformed. May she do teshuva.

"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Online Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »
Oh dear! We're Facebook friends! I may have to re-evaluate that decision.

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 08:19:09 PM »
A lot of Jewesses are "off the derech"!

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 11:10:40 PM »
A lot of Jewesses are "off the derech"!

You are a Mahti Harabim and a retard.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 11:12:04 PM »
You are a Mahti Harabim and a retard.
Tag...  :::D
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 07:00:15 PM »
Neshama singing with Black Baptists

The end is she will marry a Black & apostasize to Xtianity, poor soul!

As her divorce shows, no born Jewish man can satisfy a large American Jewess of this ilk. Only a Black can give her the attention and luv she craves. One of the 7' tall Black Chicago basket ball players who nominally converted to Judaism to play in Israel would be preferable.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 10:59:47 PM »
I didn't hear she's getting divorced. Maybe her husband didn't like that she became Deform.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 11:06:32 PM »
Neshama singing with Black Baptists

The end is she will marry a Black & apostasize to Xtianity, poor soul!

As her divorce shows, no born Jewish man can satisfy a large American Jewess of this ilk. Only a Black can give her the attention and luv she craves. One of the 7' tall Black Chicago basket ball players who nominally converted to Judaism to play in Israel would be preferable.
That's one of dumbest ass things I have ever heard! And it says Jewish women are whores!
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 11:32:17 PM »
She is getting divorced. She and her husband have been separated for a long time.
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 02:19:36 AM »
This thread is nothing but a trap of Lashon Hara... Things are being said which nobody knows is true or not, most of it is just the rambling of opinionated jokers... You do not know what is in the soul of this Jewess, you do not know the beginning or the end... Anyone who is adding fuel to the fire of this thread is as guilty as Yerusha is guilty.

The Torah expressly forbids being a 'talebearer' against your people, being a salesman of insulting and demeaning information.

The fact that she has slipped into the clutches of the reform movement does not make her evil. I do know many good Jews who are reform and they love all Jews (Orthodox) and all Israelis. Rebuking our fellow Jew's is our responsibility but shaming them is not. Making up things about them based on your own suppositions and spreading falsehood about them is a crime (this goes beyond simple Lashon Hara and enters the territory of Motze Shem Rah).

Many observant Jews allow their egos to rise to incredible heights and losing sight of the fact that humility and derech eretz are the middot which accrue merit in the world to come.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2013, 02:08:32 AM »
Isn't it a mitzvah to rebuke her since she is a public figure? Promoting the Deform Movement is causing the masses to sin, especially if by someone is the daughter of an Orthodox rabbi.

I didn't post anything not true here. Wonga made up fake things. I just simply rebuked her for joining the evil Deform Movement.