Author Topic: Happy New Year  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
Happy New Year
« on: December 30, 2013, 05:56:01 PM »
I would like to wish all JTFers a very Happy New Year and I hope that 2014 will be a great year for JTF

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »
בס''ד

Joe, we Jews are not allowed to celebrate the secular New Year. Our New Year is Rosh Hashanah.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 06:22:01 PM »
Although I myself am not partaking any 'New Years' celebration I do feel that it is OK to wish others a good secular New Year.

It is good to remind Jews that this is not our New Year, as Chaim said we already had our New Years 'celebration' during the High Holidays. It is 5774 already according to our calendar.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 09:10:26 PM »
I'm only wishing a Happy New Year to all the non-Jews here then.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »
I'm only wishing a Happy New Year to all the non-Jews here then.

Thanks. But I'm not really into New Year's Eve.

Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 09:28:22 PM »
Thanks. But I'm not really into New Year's Eve.
To be honest,  I freaking hate New Year's Eve.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 10:15:11 PM »
When I was a kid I thought it was cool when the ball dropped and to see the clock tick down to Midnight. But the whole Times Square stuff is actually pretty silly. It's just a bunch of liberals mostly listening to noise music immodestly dressed in the freezing cold. Then they think they have to kiss at Midnight. I'd rather listen to the radio where they say "At the tone time is Midnight." but now they play the sound track to the fireworks on the local news radio channel.

I just liked it because of the number changing. There is nothing to celebrate. The Winter Classic outdoor hockey game on New Year's Day is much more interesting.

Saying Happy New Year and making "New Year's resolutions" just seems pretty gay to me. It's an artificial date for the beginning of the Solar New Year. It would make more sense to have the solar year start on the first day of Spring (It used to be on March 25 on the old Julian Calendar.).

Also, why do peoples say "New Year's"? I don't even know if there should be an apostrophe. Probably it's only correct to say it as "New Year's" if followed by the word Eve or Day. I just call it either the Secular, Civil, Gregorian, or Solar New Year.

Jews have Tekufat Tevet to mark the beginning of our Solar Winter which falls out this year on Monday, January 6. Our Lunar Winter began on the Seventh Day of Hanukkah (First of Tevet). Some hold that it began on the First of Kislev if you go by that there are 6 seasons of 2 months each based on Parashat Noah. Astronomical Winter began on December 21 and Meteorological Winter began on December 1.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 10:22:05 PM »
When I was a kid I thought it was cool when the ball dropped and to see the clock tick down to Midnight. But the whole Times Square stuff is actually pretty silly. It's just a bunch of liberals mostly listening to noise music immodestly dressed in the freezing cold. Then they think they have to kiss at Midnight. I'd rather listen to the radio where they say "At the tone time is Midnight." but now they play the sound track to the fireworks on the local news radio channel.

I just liked it because of the number changing. There is nothing to celebrate. The Winter Classic outdoor hockey game on New Year's Day is much more interesting.

Saying Happy New Year and making "New Year's resolutions" just seems pretty gay to me. It's an artificial date for the beginning of the Solar New Year. It would make more sense to have the solar year start on the first day of Spring (It used to be on March 25 on the old Julian Calendar.).

Also, why do peoples say "New Year's"? I don't even know if there should be an apostrophe. Probably it's only correct to say it as "New Year's" if followed by the word Eve or Day. I just call it either the Secular, Civil, Gregorian, or Solar New Year.

Jews have Tekufat Tevet to mark the beginning of our Solar Winter which falls out this year on Monday, January 6. Our Lunar Winter began on the Seventh Day of Hanukkah (First of Tevet). Some hold that it began on the First of Kislev if you go by that there are 6 seasons of 2 months each based on Parashat Noah. Astronomical Winter began on December 21 and Meteorological Winter began on December 1.
I think the Essenes used the solar calendar...
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 03:12:49 AM »
Some New Year joy from way back in 1987-1988...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 03:20:32 AM »

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 07:32:09 AM »
To be honest,  I freaking hate New Year's Eve.

So do I. What is so special about it anyway?
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Jenny

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 08:52:20 AM »
Happy New Year everyone.
I love New Years Eve.
It's time to party and have some fun.
I just have to figure out what to wear tonight, you know should it be the red dress or should it be the purple one.
It's nice for me because I live in America and I get to celebrate both the American and Jewish holidays.
Everyone have fun but remember to be safe.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 11:04:30 AM »
As Chaim said we Jews don't celebrate it.
If you calculate from Dec 25 to Jan 1 it is 8 days & by celebrating this day you would be celebrating Yoshka's bris.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 01:59:17 PM »
As Chaim said we Jews don't celebrate it.
If you calculate from Dec 25 to Jan 1 it is 8 days & by celebrating this day you would be celebrating Yoshka's bris.

It actually pre-dates Yeshu by 44+ years (If he was really born the year they said he was.). It was first instituted by Julius Caesar. But then again X-mas also predates Yeshu.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 03:43:31 PM »
Relax, New Year or not.... I have the day off... Tomorrow too... So let us laugh at the funny singing dogs...

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 04:14:55 PM »

It actually pre-dates Yeshu by 44+ years (If he was really born the year they said he was.). It was first instituted by Julius Caesar. But then again X-mas also predates Yeshu.
Indeed it was the pagan Saturnalia/Winter Solstice which they took over & made a Christian holiday.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 12:08:45 AM »
Jenny,

I don't know if you noticed this when you first signed on, but this is a serious Jewish, Zionist, religious forum of right wing Jews and other non-Jews who support Israel. 

So if you're just interested in partying or smoking marijuana, perhaps you should go on Jdate.com. 

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 12:11:29 AM »
Jenny,

I don't know if you noticed this when you first signed on, but this is a serious Jewish, Zionist, religious forum of right wing Jews and other non-Jews who support Israel. 

So if you're just interested in partying or smoking marijuana, perhaps you should go on Jdate.com.
Good post Lisa. I've never been to GayDate, not being Jewish, but I hear it is a hideous abomination.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 12:12:32 AM »
Well I guess I won't have to tell everyone how stupid it is to stand in the freezing cold and packed times square to watch some stupid ball move down slow as hell and scream like idiots.
I got idiots across the street screaming.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 12:18:16 AM »
FOX News has the ball dropping minus the Miley Cyrus depravity and other immorality on ABC. I guess it's named after Dick Clark for a reason even though he is now dead.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 05:28:14 AM »
Happy New zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 05:32:57 AM »
To our Christian friends and JTFers:  Happy New Year to you all! 

And thank you for all your support!

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 08:11:35 AM »
FOX News has the ball dropping minus the Miley Cyrus depravity and other immorality on ABC. I guess it's named after Dick Clark for a reason even though he is now dead.

Really? Well I'm glad I didn't watch that crap.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2014, 09:26:38 AM »
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, 04:29:14 PM »