Author Topic: Jewish NCAA Basektball Player Wears Kippa In Game  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Jewish NCAA Basektball Player Wears Kippa In Game
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 08:23:57 PM »
I wonder what would happen if he goes to areas where there is more anti-semites in the US.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:57:18 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong:  He won't ride on Shabbos and he walks miles.... to practice!  Is that not hypocritical?  I mean, isn't Shabbos supposed to be a day of rest and prayer?  I don't believe that basketball practice on Shabbos is acceptable.  So, if he's going to go and do basketball practice, then he may as well ride there... no?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong:  He won't ride on Shabbos and he walks miles.... to practice!  Is that not hypocritical?  I mean, isn't Shabbos supposed to be a day of rest and prayer?  I don't believe that basketball practice on Shabbos is acceptable.  So, if he's going to go and do basketball practice, then he may as well ride there... no?

Yes you are correct. Basketball practice on Shabbos violates a principle, but not a Halacha (I think)...

We are supposed to only engage in 'Shabbosdik' things on the Sabbath. Basketball practice is not something we do on Shabbos, thus this violates that principle.

But I will not condemn him. I also would not say 'Go ahead and drive (or ride)' there. I do not subscribe to the idea that if you break one halacha of Shabbos you may as well break them all. We are judged on each and every Halacha we observe and we should not just violate them all if we cannot keep them all...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 09:06:22 PM »
This is just a hypothetical question and it's more for laughs.  Now suppose an observant Jew decided to rob a grocery store on Shabbos.  Would you say it would be better if he walked to the grocery store versus taking the bus?  (And don't say, "No, it would be better if he went to Shul instead.")  Would Hashem think better of him because he walked to the robbery?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 09:07:28 PM »
This is just a hypothetical question and it's more for laughs.  Now suppose an observant Jew decided to rob a grocery store on Shabbos.  Would you say it would be better if he walked to the grocery store versus taking the bus?  (And don't say, "No, it would be better if he went to Shul instead.")  Would Hashem think better of him because he walked to the robbery?

There was a recent  case where some Orthodox Jews ran an illegal drugs racket. They WOULD NOT sell their drugs on Shabbos...

RE your question. According to the previously stated opinion of mine... Each Aveirah (transgression) is judged separately thus I would suggest that the robber walk to the store he is going to rob...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 09:10:03 PM »
There was a recent  case where some Orthodox Jews ran an illegal drugs racket. They WOULD NOT sell their drugs on Shabbos...
Now that's funny!  (Of course, they make a total mockery of Judiasm, and they should pay for it!)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 09:24:40 PM »
Now that's funny!  (Of course, they make a total mockery of Judiasm, and they should pay for it!)

Here is the story:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/09/10/police-bust-alleged-drug-ring-that-halted-operations-for-shabbat/

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Police have busted up an alleged ring of drug dealers who allegedly had been selling heroin, oxycodone and other drugs in southern Brooklyn – but had been shutting down operations every Friday evening to observe Shabbat.

As WCBS 880’s Irene Cornell reported, the five defendants were charged as part of a six month probe dubbed “Only after Sundown,” New York City Special Narcotics Prosecutor Bridget Brennan said in a news release.

Defendants Jack Zibak, 28; Jack Zaibak, 24; Eduard Sorin, 38; David Gerowitz, 37; and Philip Mandel, 25, were all charged with selling drugs from an apartment at 4190 Bedford Ave. in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, authorities said.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 09:32:36 PM »
What amazes me most is this:  Do they really think that they're fooling Hashem??  They're fake, phony Jews and they're contemptible frauds!  Give them life sentences and feed them pork since it doesn't matter!  What a shanda they are!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 10:23:07 PM »
What amazes me most is this:  Do they really think that they're fooling Hashem??  They're fake, phony Jews and they're contemptible frauds!  Give them life sentences and feed them pork since it doesn't matter!  What a shanda they are!

I don't know what they think... But from my perspective I believe that nobody is perfect in the 'eyes' of Hashem.

We are rewarded for the good things (observance) we do and we are punished for the wrong we do... It is wrong to make calculations concerning which commands are most important. All 613 should be observed, but considering each of us is human we are bound to make mistakes.

Indeed it is a chillul Hashem to dress and act like an observant Jew while keeping a unkosher lifestyle. But there is always the hope of teshuva (until your dying day).

We rebuke the sin and attempt to bring close those who are far..

Offline edu

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 05:44:27 AM »
People should be aware not all Shabbos related sins are on an equal level.
Some types of activities (namely, those used to build the mishkan-tabernacle) are forbidden by Torah law and under certain circumstances punishable by the death penalty.
Other activities are forbidden by Torah law but don't carry a death penalty.
Others are forbidden by Rabbinic Law but not Torah law and therefore do not carry a death penalty.
One could argue that certain activities are forbidden because of custom (for example, the community following a stringent opinion, even though one could also find lenient views on the subject).
I would like to do more research, what is the status of someone who does basketball practice for a professional sports team on Shabbos.

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 06:15:06 AM »
There was a recent  case where some Orthodox Jews ran an illegal drugs racket.

They don't look particularly orthodox to me. I expected to see hassidic satmars.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 07:12:13 AM »

RE your question. According to the previously stated opinion of mine... Each Aveirah (transgression) is judged separately thus I would suggest that the robber walk to the store he is going to rob...

If this is what makes is obvious that they are Jews, and the public would not have known if they drived, would the chilul Hashem be worse than the karet sin?
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 09:30:53 AM »

They don't look particularly orthodox to me. I expected to see hassidic satmars.
In Israel as soon as they get arrested they start wearing kippa and pretend to be religious for the judges and the media.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 09:57:50 AM »
In Israel as soon as they get arrested they start wearing kippa and pretend to be religious for the judges and the media.
Everyone does it here in the U.S.
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03