Author Topic: May your Deli live to be 125  (Read 1132 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
May your Deli live to be 125
« on: January 15, 2014, 02:50:57 AM »
Light-hearted story about a deli in NY which turned 125...

Could I use a Nosh at the moment?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: May your Deli live to be 125
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 04:10:50 AM »
Katz's is not kosher!!!!

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 04:26:58 AM »
Can you name one Jewish Deli in Manhattan that IS kosher?  Mr. Broadway?

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 04:59:52 AM »
Can you name one Jewish Deli in Manhattan that IS kosher?  Mr. Broadway?
Mr. Broadway was still kosher when I was still in the US.
As for today ask somebody who currently lives in NY.
As for Katz's it never was kosher & never will be kosher & they never claimed to be.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 06:59:48 AM »
Katz's has Philly steak burgers it's unkosher as unkosher gets
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 07:12:51 AM »
Also do not trust 2nd ave deli,Bens.Zans or Grabsteins as all are open on shabbos.
If I left out any as I have been out of NY for years please list them.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 07:15:38 AM »
Also do not trust 2nd ave deli,Bens.Zans or Grabsteins as all are open on shabbos.
If I left out any as I have been out of NY for years please list them.
Also Epsteins. Bens doesn't kasher it's kitchen for Pesach yet sells food
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 09:55:03 AM »
isn't that the place king clinton went to eat?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 11:03:33 AM »
Blech..Kosher or not...Have no desire to clog an artery or two with that garbage.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »
That at least was a nice lighthearted story.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 04:16:41 PM »
Yeah, I realized that it wasn't Kosher when the guy talked about the Philly cheese steak... But I figured it was a good story, and ran it...

How hard it is for a Baal Teshuva to give up meat and cheese. Back in the day (almost 20 years ago) I used to know some of the best Cheesesteak places in Los Angeles.

But I still love a great kosher Corned Beef on Rye sandwich.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 12:32:14 AM »
Yeah, I realized that it wasn't Kosher when the guy talked about the Philly cheese steak... But I figured it was a good story, and ran it...

How hard it is for a Baal Teshuva to give up meat and cheese. Back in the day (almost 20 years ago) I used to know some of the best Cheesesteak places in Los Angeles.

But I still love a great kosher Corned Beef on Rye sandwich.
I do too.
40-41 years ago some friends of mind & I went into Katz's not knowing it wasn't kosher after a JDL activitie anyway some old guy with a Yiddish accent ala Jackie Mason came over to us seeing we wearing yarmulkas & said boys this place ain't kosher the sign says Katz's that's all it says nothing about being kosher so we promptly walked out.
We were only 14-15 yaer old at the time so we saw a Jewish name & assumed it was kosher.
We learned a powerful lesson that day never assume a place is kosher without seeing a teuda or was back in those days knew the owner was reliable.
See in those days most places had no supervision you just relied on the owner if he was shomer shabbos.
Things have sure changed as you can't trust anybody nowadays without a certificate/teuda.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 07:33:15 AM »
I do too.
40-41 years ago some friends of mind & I went into Katz's not knowing it wasn't kosher after a JDL activitie anyway some old guy with a Yiddish accent ala Jackie Mason came over to us seeing we wearing yarmulkas & said boys this place ain't kosher the sign says Katz's that's all it says nothing about being kosher so we promptly walked out.
We were only 14-15 yaer old at the time so we saw a Jewish name & assumed it was kosher.
We learned a powerful lesson that day never assume a place is kosher without seeing a teuda or was back in those days knew the owner was reliable.
See in those days most places had no supervision you just relied on the owner if he was shomer shabbos.
Things have sure changed as you can't trust anybody nowadays without a certificate/teuda.
But it's the one's that have Kosher meats and no milk products but stay open on shabbos and don't kosher their kitchens for Pesach that you really have to be careful of.

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »
But it's the one's that have Kosher meats and no milk products but stay open on shabbos and don't kosher their kitchens for Pesach that you really have to be careful of.
Agreed but not only that if there is no kashrus certificate do not trust it plain & simple.