Author Topic: Let a homosexual join your congregation?  (Read 820 times)

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
Let a homosexual join your congregation?
« on: January 22, 2014, 12:55:14 PM »
This is a theoretical question..... would you agree with allowing a homosexual to join your congregation?

I have mixed feelings on this... I have witnessed a similar situation but with an unmarried couple happily living and raising their family with no apparent plans to ever get married.

So whatever the situation, do you allow them but be upfront in telling them their actions are wrong? But, who in any congregation ISN'T doing wrong? I guess the difference is whether or not it is willful and continual behavior.

If the answer is yes, are you accepting sin? ..... no, and you have for sure lost any opportunity to encourage and persuade the "offenders" to do right.

Do you allow it in hopes of them growing spiritually and seeing their lifestyle is wrong and repenting.....

Is there a definite right or wrong solution?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Let a homosexual join your congregation?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:11:50 PM »
Some people may have a sexual attraction to the same sex in which case they would have a homosexual orientation. This doesn't necessarily mean they live a homosexual lifestyle where they act on this inclination. I think that they should be allowed to join a church if they claim to be celibate and to have a desire to no longer act on these inclinations if they ever have. Certainly if it's a young person or teenager who has never had sex then I think it would be easier for them to resist such inclinations than someone who has had homosexual activity and enjoyed it. I do think they should be watched though to make sure they're not just a communist infiltrator and that they're not spreading the idea that living a gay lifestyle is ok or not sinful. I can see homosexuals joining churches to deliberately corrupt the members.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:38:56 PM »
I think that they should be allowed in hopes that they grow spiritually & as long as they are not in your face about it.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 02:13:37 PM »
True story.... 10 or so years ago at my church two black fellows came in a few minutes after service had started. My mom happened to be going in as well, she said "welcome ...... something or another...". One of them responded, after a short conversation he said "where should we sit"... my mom said "anywhere you like, we don't care.. We are just happy that you decided to join us"...... the two gentlemen said thank you, turned around and walked out the door. They may have asked if we had any black members, not sure... anyway my mom was confused and worried that they had misunderstood her and were offended. Some weeks later while talking to someone from another church she mentioned it and they were very surprised saying the same thing happened at their church. I guess the guys were trying to find some reason to cry racism or maybe just seeing if it was a problem in churches in our town

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 02:42:17 PM »
Why not?  I know a lot of Jews who don't follow Shabbat who go to an Orthodox shul.

A righteous place of worship may do good for any sinner.  The problem is when a congregation makes excuses to allow and accept sinful behavior.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 06:09:42 PM »
Why not?  I know a lot of Jews who don't follow Shabbat who go to an Orthodox shul.

A righteous place of worship may do good for any sinner.  The problem is when a congregation makes excuses to allow and accept sinful behavior.

Agreed. Doors are open to all usually.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 06:34:22 PM »
Love hates all sin because sin causes the sinner to die.   Every sin brings some kind of death more tragically and visually than other sins, but all sin brings death upon the sinner.    We should never condone sin, we cannot be apathetic to any kind of sin.   Many sins harm not only the person committing the sin, but also injures other innocents in the process.  Isaiah 1:16-17  "Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds before my eyes; cease to do evil, learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widows cause.  Isaiah urges us first to wash ourselves and remove evil from our own lives.    God loves sinners, but his words are written in Romans 1:24 and Leviticus 18:22, 1 Corinthians 6:9 to teach and dissuade them from living this lifestyle.