Author Topic: Roman–Jewish Treaty (Roman Republic and Hasmonean Kingdom)  (Read 758 times)

Offline Saxon Marauder

• Full JTFer
Roman–Jewish Treaty (Roman Republic and Hasmonean Kingdom)
« on: January 25, 2014, 12:41:05 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman%E2%80%93Jewish_Treaty

In part, and this is the interesting part to me.  :o Can anyone confirm of deny this? :)

According to I Maccabees chapter 8:

May all go well with the Romans and with the nation of the Jews at sea and on land forever, and may sword and enemy be far from them. If war comes first to Rome or to any of their allies in all their dominion, the nation of the Jews shall act as their allies wholeheartedly, as the occasion may indicate to them. To the enemy that makes war they shall not give or supply grain, arms, money, or ships, just as Rome has decided; and they shall keep their obligations without receiving any return. In the same way, if war comes first to the nation of the Jews, the Romans shall willingly act as their allies, as the occasion may indicate to them. And to their enemies there shall not be given grain, arms, money, or ships, just as Rome has decided; and they shall keep these obligations and do so without deceit. Thus on these terms the Romans make a treaty with the Jewish people. If after these terms are in effect both parties shall determine to add or delete anything, they shall do so at their discretion, and any addition or deletion that they may make shall be valid. Concerning the wrongs that King Demetrius is doing to them, we have written to him as follows:, 'Why have you made your yoke heavy on our friends and allies the Jews? If now they appeal again for help against you, we will defend their rights and fight you on sea and on land.'
Cædmon's Hymn:

Now we must honour the Guardian of Heaven,
the might of the Architect, and His purpose,
the work of the Father of Glory-as He, the Eternal Lord, established the beginning of wonders. He, the Holy Creator, first created heaven as a roof
for the children of men. Then the Guardian of Mankind the Eternal Lord, the Lord Almighty
afterwards appointed the middle earth, the lands, for men.

Offline brenden

• Junior JTFer
Re: Roman–Jewish Treaty (Roman Republic and Hasmonean Kingdom)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 06:42:57 AM »
never heard of this one. but i know that in 63BCE the Romans made Israel into a client kingdom so i would be strange that within a 100 years Israel would go from an ally to an enemy   

Online Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »
This was the tragedy that lead to the eventual downfall. Israel made a pact with the pigs.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 08:49:17 PM »
This was a great idea of a post! We could go a thousand different directions with this...  :::D
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.