Author Topic: Manischewitz Wine  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
Manischewitz Wine
« on: January 25, 2014, 08:41:50 PM »
This is a mundane post, but that's a horrible tasting Kosher wine.

Wine connoisseurs please recommend great Kosher wines! Thank you in advance!

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Manischewitz Wine
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 08:46:43 PM »
How can wine be not kosher?
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 08:51:29 PM »
I have never had it, but I know it's a Concord wine, so it probably isn't great.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 08:56:16 PM »
Rashi Claret 750ML Usually ~ $10. Very good.
  (Mevushal and non-Mevushal available).

http://www.onlykosherwine.com/Page.asp?ID=pgProductPreview&ProductID=161483
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Yerusha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 11:12:41 PM »
A pair of English pratts extolling Israeli wine

Offline Havok

• Full JTFer
  • You'll never get rid of me
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 11:39:42 PM »
I've never had a Jewish or kosher wine that I know of. I drink more hard liquor
The moral of this story is that no matter how much we try, no matter how much we want it … some stories just don't have a happy ending.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 12:11:00 AM »
Well... since no one responded, some grapes are crossbred, and may go against Torah law...  This would fall under the mixing of different species. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 12:45:25 AM »
How can wine be not kosher?

It has to do with idolatry. In the past many nations used wine to worship their gods. Hashem wanted to separate the Jewish nation and wine away from the nations and their idolatry wine.

So, for a wine to be kosher, the production must be supervises by a Jew who is shomer Shabbos and must supervise that all the ingredients are kosher. (Including when wine needs to be kosher for Pesach). And it should have a hechsher.

According to the process of the wine, it is either cooked or not cooked. If the kosher wine is cooked, then a non-Jew may touch it or a Jew who is Mechalel Shabbat. And the wine is still fit to be drunk by Jews. But an uncooked Kosher wine that is handled/touched by a Gentile or a Mechalel Shabbat Jew is spilled and no longer able to be drunk by Jews. Cooked wine is called mevushal.

I know someone who can recommend some good Kosher wine. I believe Kosher moscato.

I have Manischewits wine and it's not that good but not as terrible as another kosher wine I had at a Shabbat dinner (I forgot the name of it). So, I believe there are worst things than Manischewitz. I think Kosher moscato is the way to go. Rashi is ok too

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 12:45:39 AM »
Rashi.

In Pennsylvania, wine is sold by the Bolshevik state owned PA Liquor Control Board (AKA "state stores".). But private religious stores are permitted to sell wine with no sales tax as well. The state stores usually just sell Manischewitz which is high in alcohol which is ironic since they are supposed to not support getting drunk. But the private Jewish stores sell Rashi wine which is not too alcoholic and therefore tastes better as well. I but the Rashi Pink Concord wine. The bottle has the Rashi synagogue in Worms on the label. I don't know how anyone can like high alcoholic drinks, especially vodka which tastes like rubbing alcohol.

http://www.judaism.com/display.asp?ecat=wBDEH&gclid=CKmJ3MCSm7wCFRPxOgod70MAvw

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 12:53:17 AM »
Well... since no one responded, some grapes are crossbred, and may go against Torah law...  This would fall under the mixing of different species. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Some wines may have non-kosher coloring such as blood or insects. But the main part reason is because kosher wine can only be handled by Shomer Shabbat Jews in the entire production.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 01:30:10 AM »
The Torah prohibition is wine used by Gentiles in idolatry (Yayin Nesach). But by Rabbinic extension all Gentile wine is forbidden (Stam Yeinan).

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 01:46:38 AM »
This is an awesome wine and low cost as well- 

Elvi Sintonia Sangria

http://www.onlykosherwine.com/Page.asp?ID=pgProductPreview&ProductID=175324&CategoryID=8553
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 01:51:03 AM »
This one is good but not as good as the above 2 by me, a little more stronger as well. 

Don Alfonso Cabernet Sauvignon

http://www.onlykosherwine.com/Page.asp?ID=pgProductPreview&ProductID=162211&CategoryID=8553

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 02:01:55 AM »

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 02:21:38 AM »
I asked and was told to check out: https://wwws.onlinekosherwine.com/sitemap.php

And Baron Herzog was recommended.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 03:07:42 AM »
I asked and was told to check out: https://wwws.onlinekosherwine.com/sitemap.php

And Baron Herzog was recommended.

Where do you live? They charge for shipping as well (probably everyone does). I would better recommend (depending where you are especially if in NYC and surrounding areas) to take down the names and go to a store.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 03:01:42 PM »
I would better recommend (depending where you are especially if in NYC and surrounding areas) to take down the names and go to a store.

That's a great idea. Fortunately, I am able to get some kosher wines where I live but I am very close to LA where I can get a better options. I'm just a few minutes away from LA anyways, so I have access to kosher stores. I was told that Baron Herzon is available at regular stores, so people who do not live close to a religious community might want to check with their local stores and see what other options besides Manischewitz they have.