Author Topic: Non-glatt meat  (Read 2598 times)

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Non-glatt meat
« on: March 31, 2014, 08:38:39 AM »
Would I eat non-glatt meat?
As a Jew of Eastern European origin ie. Ashkenazi I am not obligated to eat glatt or chalak meat only Sephardim/Mizrachim are.
In America I ate only glatt as of the mid to late 70's as the OU stopped giving hechsherim to non-glatt meat.
My grandparents said in Europe either meat was kosher or it was not there was no glatt until the Hungarians made it the norm in America.
In Israel I will eat non-glatt as I trust the rabbanut.
The non-glatt restaurants & butchers in America are mostly not reliable as they under supervision of CONservative clergy.
All meat & poultry in Israel is under the rabbanut & may have other hechsherim as well.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Non-glatt meat
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 11:25:11 AM »
I thought Chabad eats only Hasidic shechita. That means that they only eat one type of Glatt meat. For example, they will eat Aaron's but not Empire.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »
I thought Chabad eats only Hasidic shechita. That means that they only eat one type of Glatt meat. For example, they will eat Aaron's but not Empire.
I did until I worked as a Mashgiach & saw what politics & what a racket it was.
In America I eat only glatt because no relaible non-glatt exists,but I assure you in Europe Chabad did not eat Glatt as in Europe either it was kosher or it was not.
The whole glatt business amongst Ashkenazim started with the Hungarians after the war & was taken up by others & in America it became the standard in the 70's.
Even when I ate only glatt I ate other glatt besides one shechita as it is politics.
Before the beard cutting of Rabbis Korf & Vechter there was not much Lubavitcher shechita other than small amounts of chicken after the Satmars attacked them,beat them & cut their beards did this start & Aaron's did,'t start until the late 80's early 90's.
Many shluchim outside Brooklyn east Empire chickens as they are easier to get & just as kosher.
Some of the shochtim for Empire are Chabadniks.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:40:34 PM by ChabadKahanist »

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 12:21:02 PM »
In France there isn't any Glatt. It's called "Bet Din" and even Orthodox Jews eat it.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 04:51:44 PM »
In the Diaspora, it is more economical to eat only Glatt. Non-Glatt meat cost more to produce since it involves removing certain parts of the meat, so they just sell those parts to goyim. In Israel, in a country of Jews, it is more economical to eat all the permited parts of the meat. Nikur is done to permit the parts of the animals that are sold to goyim outside of Israel. That's why certain cuts of kosher meat are only available in Israel. I think sirloin steak is an example. Removing the sciatic nerve is part of why most of the Non-Glatt meat is just sold to Non-Jews.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »
Hebrew National is Kosher, non-Glatt and in the galut (America).
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 05:02:33 PM »
Hebrew National is Kosher, non-Glatt and in the galut (America).

No one eats it. Judging from the price, what I said about the cost of Non-Glatt Kosher meat is true. I don't know if that is why they charge more. Hebrew National probably charges more than it cost to produce Non-Glatt meat. Also, it's owned by a national corporation that owns many brands. It's not owned by Jews. It's possible that Hebrew National sells the kosher meat that is rejected from the Glatt factories. It's well known that non-kosher hot dogs are made out of treif meat from a kosher slaughter, not actual neveilah. Hebrew National makes hot dogs and cold cuts. They just buy pre-shechted meat. I don't usually even buy the Glatt equivalent of the things Hebrew National sells. It's mostly un-healthy garbage. If I buy cold cuts, I'll buy it by the pound from the kosher deli section of the supermarket. I don't need to buy a large amount that cost a lot of money that would probably go partly wasted. Also, I think salami is disgusting. Hebrew National does not sell fresh meat. They only sell the processed meat that Chaim probably would say is very un-healthy.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 08:04:12 PM »

No one eats it. Judging from the price, what I said about the cost of Non-Glatt Kosher meat is true. I don't know if that is why they charge more.

Are you sure about that? I think its actually cheap especially the hotdogs from Costco. The Glatt versions are definitely more expensive (and that's compared to the one even in Costco where many things are already cheaper).

http://www.kashrut.org/forum/

Allows it as being Kosher.

Also I'm not sure but I'm under the impression that all "Glatt" besides Beit Yosef is really just Kosher. ( we had this discussion before).

4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 12:58:59 PM »
Hebrew National hot dogs are more expensive than regular Glatt hot dogs.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »
Hebrew National hot dogs are more expensive than regular Glatt hot dogs.

I've seen to contrary in Costco.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 10:21:14 PM »
Would I eat non-glatt meat?
As a Jew of Eastern European origin ie. Ashkenazi I am not obligated to eat glatt or chalak meat only Sephardim/Mizrachim are.
In America I ate only glatt as of the mid to late 70's as the OU stopped giving hechsherim to non-glatt meat.
My grandparents said in Europe either meat was kosher or it was not there was no glatt until the Hungarians made it the norm in America.
In Israel I will eat non-glatt as I trust the rabbanut.
The non-glatt restaurants & butchers in America are mostly not reliable as they under supervision of CONservative clergy.
All meat & poultry in Israel is under the rabbanut & may have other hechsherim as well.

You're correct on the history and on the politics with the exceptions as Tag mentioned- hebrew national non glatt hotdogs are under the reliable Orthodox Rabbi Rabbi Ralbag despite politically motivated attacks on his org, and I think Tag may be right that aside from Beit Yosef hashgacha, the level of stringency of other glatt meats is not truly glatt.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 12:29:06 AM »
You're correct on the history and on the politics with the exceptions as Tag mentioned- hebrew national non glatt hotdogs are under the reliable Orthodox Rabbi Rabbi Ralbag despite politically motivated attacks on his org, and I think Tag may be right that aside from Beit Yosef hashgacha, the level of stringency of other glatt meats is not truly glatt.
I wasn't speaking of Hebrew National I was speaking of restaurants & butchers claiming to be kosher but under the supervision of a CONservative "rabbi" which are the majority of non-"glatt" resturants in butchers in the US.
There are problems such as no soaking & salting of the meat & non-removal of forbidden fats from the meat.
HN has always been under an Orthodox rabbi for the past 40 -50 years it was under Rabbi Yehuda Altulsky,ZT"L & then under Rabbi Tibor Stern,ZT"L & currently Rabbi Joseph Ralbag of the Triangle K & approved as kosher by Rabbi Abadi a major posek.