Author Topic: Favorite Passover traditions  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
Favorite Passover traditions
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:50:19 PM »
What are your favorite Passover Traditions?  By the 8th day, how many of you are sick of Matzoh?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Favorite Passover traditions
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 09:55:15 PM »
What are your favorite Passover Traditions?  By the 8th day, how many of you are sick of Matzoh?

I like Gefilte Fish, and I usually only eat it on Shabbat and during Pesach (of course Kosher for Pesach gefilte fish)...

I do not think of it as being 'sick of matzoh' so much as not having to eat it. I surely enjoy resuming consumption of chametz, but I find religious reason to abstain from eating it... To satisfy the commandment...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 10:01:14 PM »
Not sick of Massa at all. Love it.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 10:02:12 PM »
Favorite tradition- Reading the Haggadah and understanding it well.
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline fibrogirl

• Full JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 03:18:33 AM »
Not so much Pesach itself, but I find the constant  shop closures and chagim from Pesach through to Yom Hatzmaout, Yom Hazicharon, along with the mounting hot weather at the end a bit hard.
I get spelt or oat matzah on Pesach b/c I get stomach pains on wheat.

Offline Joe Gutfeld

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:32:17 AM »
My father has a funny story about Passover and the length of the holiday.  When my dad was a kid, he went to shul for Passover services.  On the last day of the holiday, the rabbi said, "I declare Passover for this year is now over.  When you leave, please go to the local Chinese resturant because the owner has been suffering from bad business this past week."  No Joke.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 10:19:44 AM »
Not so much Pesach itself, but I find the constant  shop closures and chagim from Pesach through to Yom Hatzmaout, Yom Hazicharon, along with the mounting hot weather at the end a bit hard.
I get spelt or oat matzah on Pesach b/c I get stomach pains on wheat.

During the week its fine but for the Seder night and being Yotzi for it can be problematic. Eat the size of an olive worth of Massa at the Seder night, it wont be a problem. (About 3 to 5 grams minimally).

Oats- the Beracha is Haadama and you don't fulfill your obligation. Spelt- I am not too sure, but its a big question definitely.
 Wheat and Barely is for sure good and I would suggest you eat one of these (at least the minimum amount I specified for the Seder night at least). After eating that amount (and its very small) you can then eat Oat and other Massa and foods as well.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 10:24:14 AM »
My father has a funny story about Passover and the length of the holiday.  When my dad was a kid, he went to shul for Passover services.  On the last day of the holiday, the rabbi said, "I declare Passover for this year is now over.  When you leave, please go to the local Chinese resturant because the owner has been suffering from bad business this past week."  No Joke.

Yea but they get much more business the week before Passover. Look at all the restaurants  a few days before Passover and they are packed. Many people clean the house in advance and clean the ovens and such so they don't cook in the last few days. So they are having many of their meals eating out (more than usually), so the restaurants are making good $ at this time.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 11:14:49 AM »
When i was younger about 3-7 we lived in New Haven Conn. About a mile and 1/2 outside of the city they had a kosher slaughter house i enjoyed when they performed the shechita on cows.They had this long knife with no point it was nice
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 11:18:34 AM »
When i was younger about 3-7 we lived in New Haven Conn. About a mile and 1/2 outside of the city they had a kosher slaughter house i enjoyed when they performed the shechita on cows.They had this long knife with no point it was nice

:::D  That's some Taliban Sh^t. You cracked me up.

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 11:35:15 AM »
I like gefilte fish if it is made right & every year after my wife makes it goes out the window to the cats.
Sephardim do not know from gefilte fish.
So nowadays I prefer salmon or filet fish is sauce.
I only eat shmura matzos the whole week hand made only,but I allow my wife to eat the machine.
No reason to push my chumros on her.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 02:12:33 PM »
I like gefilte fish if it is made right & every year after my wife makes it goes out the window to the cats.
Sephardim do not know from gefilte fish.
So nowadays I prefer salmon or filet fish is sauce.
I only eat shmura matzos the whole week hand made only,but I allow my wife to eat the machine.
No reason to push my chumros on her.

What's the Humra in this case?
 Ooh do you mean you eat hand made Shmura but allow your wife to eat Machine (non-Shmura) ?

I personally have Machine Shmurra, for the Seder and probably for the whole Hag as well although I don't take it upon myself as a neder or anything. Just will eat this unless something else happens (like if I ran out or I get invited to someone's house or something else).

May I ask why hand made only? What is the difference or preference for the hand made over the Machine made if both are Shmurra?

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 02:19:26 PM »
What's the Humra in this case?
 Ooh do you mean you eat hand made Shmura but allow your wife to eat Machine (non-Shmura) ?

I personally have Machine Shmurra, for the Seder and probably for the whole Hag as well although I don't take it upon myself as a neder or anything. Just will eat this unless something else happens (like if I ran out or I get invited to someone's house or something else).

May I ask why hand made only? What is the difference or preference for the hand made over the Machine made if both are Shmurra?
According to some hand made is more machmir & according to others machine shmura is more machmir either is fine but I prefer hand made which chasidim are particular consider more machmir.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 02:32:41 PM »
According to some hand made is more machmir & according to others machine shmura is more machmir either is fine but I prefer hand made which chasidim are particular consider more machmir.

They are actually totally equal. The only "preference" although very very minute possibility is that the Machine in affect can't be Hamess and the hand made especially the extremely "Haredi type" Massa can become Hamess if and when they put it in a very extremely hot oven and the top get's burnt and their is dough inside that doesn't get cooked.

I also heard it claimed that hand made is made for the Mitsswah, but then again why wouldn't the machine made not be? I mean really, who would do the Massa's especially the Shmurra and when pressing the button not have it Lishma just the same as the Hand made.
 Either way I get the Machine Schmurra. It is cheaper, it tastes better (isn't burnt). And on top of that one can see the grams in the nutrition panel to see how much to divide it up for the Kzait (although this isn't really an issue as I and most of us eat much more then the Kzait which is only ~3.5 or even more then 5 grams)

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 02:34:54 PM »
They are actually totally equal. The only "preference" although very very minute possibility is that the Machine in affect can't be Hamess and the hand made especially the extremely "Haredi type" Massa can become Hamess if and when they put it in a very extremely hot oven and the top get's burnt and their is dough inside that doesn't get cooked.

I also heard it claimed that hand made is made for the Mitsswah, but then again why wouldn't the machine made not be? I mean really, who would do the Massa's especially the Shmurra and when pressing the button not have it Lishma just the same as the Hand made.
 Either way I get the Machine Schmurra. It is cheaper, it tastes better (isn't burnt). And on top of that one can see the grams in the nutrition panel to see how much to divide it up for the Kzait (although this isn't really an issue as I and most of us eat much more then the Kzait which is only ~3.5 or even more then 5 grams)
Either is just fine for the seder.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 04:05:18 PM »
Shmura (Mitzvah) Matzah for me during the 1st two seder nights and days.... Then Machine matzah is fine by me...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 04:06:46 PM »
Here is what Chabad says about it:

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/1680/jewish/Handmade-and-Machine-Made-Matzah.htm

About one hundred and fifty years ago, a machine was designed for baking matzah. Most of the process was automated and the matzot were untouched by human hands.

The introduction of the machine created a difference of opinion among the halachic authorities of that time, a difference of opinion which continues to this very day. Some authorities permitted the machine made matzot, whereas others prohibited them. Both sides offered reasons to support their contentions.

Those who permitted the use of the machine made matzot contended that these matzot are preferable, since the automated process is faster than making matzot by hand and there is thus less possibility of the dough becoming chametz, provided that special care is taken to ensure that the machinery is kept clean and that no dough is allowed to remain in the machinery between the processing of one batch and the next.

Those who prohibited the use of machine made matzot contended that baking matzah requires conscious intent that it is being done for the purpose of fulfilling the mitzvah.

Machines can have no intent, and thus, matzot prepared by machine lack this prerequisite. They also pointed out that the intricacy of the machinery makes it extremely difficult to ensure that no dough remains in the grooves or gears, for if dough is left in the machinery, it will render subsequent batches chametz.

Furthermore, since the parts of the machinery are made of metal and generate friction, the heat may cause the dough to ferment more rapidly.

Additionally, our tradition that fermentation occurs if the dough is left unworked for eighteen minutes applies to dough that was prepared by hand.

We have no tradition as to when this will occur in dough prepared by machine. Because it is feasible that such dough will ferment more quickly, we should be stringent, these authorities contend, and retain the original hand method of preparation.

Another objection was raised as well. The use of these matzot was liable to harm the poor, for many indigent families looked forward to the several weeks before Passover when there were abundant work opportunities in the bakeries and they could earn enough money to provide their families with the holiday needs.

Those who permitted the use of machine made matzot, and they are the majority today, countered all these arguments, and it is generally accepted that the obligation of eating matzah on Passover can be fulfilled with machine made matzot.

Nevertheless, many people take great pains to use handmade matzot for the mitzvah of eating matzah at the Seder. Some people are even more stringent and will use only handmade matzot all of Passover.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 06:19:05 PM »
My Buby's fried Matzoh for breakfast.   YUMMMMY!!

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 07:37:32 PM »
Muman didn't read your article (at least yet) but this is the funniest and saddest reason I read some place else

"He provided a sociological reason for the poor. Since the cost of Matzos would lower considerably people would no longer provide them with charitable contributions. ”

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
Not sick of Massa at all. Love it.

Did you get the soft stuff? Or you're saying you enjoy the ashkenazi style bakery stuff?

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 09:06:15 PM »
Did you get the soft stuff? Or you're saying you enjoy the ashkenazi style bakery stuff?

Naa, unfortunately. Darn, you reminded me now and yea I could have had it better.

But either way I don't mind the "Askenasi style" machine Massa's as well. I like them also, but would like to do the Korech properly next time perhaps. And not just have a wrap but may we soon have the full way with the soft Massa, the Korban Pessah inside and the marror inside as well. Basically a Passover swarma.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 09:08:41 PM »
I love love LOVE charoset!

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 09:18:06 PM »
I love love LOVE charoset!

Did you get those (soft) Massas?

- Me 2. Especially when it has a lot of whine added to it.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 11:13:07 PM »
Does anyone like making pizzas out of matzoh? Or making eggs in the morning with crumbled matzoh. There is also chocolate covered matzoh mmm.
I love charoset too. A few days ago I had Persian charoset sample at my shul's women's group and it was incredible. Looking forward to the seders, it's going to be fantastic! :)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 12:27:00 AM »
Does anyone like making pizzas out of matzoh? Or making eggs in the morning with crumbled matzoh. There is also chocolate covered matzoh mmm.
I love charoset too. A few days ago I had Persian charoset sample at my shul's women's group and it was incredible. Looking forward to the seders, it's going to be fantastic! :)

Matzah Pizza is not my favorite... It just doesn't have the 'pizza crust' aspect of pizza... But I throw just about anything on my Matzah...

PB&J (Peanut Butter & Jelly)
Tuna
Cheese Tomatoe & Lettuce

I don't think anyone dislikes Charoset.... It is SWEET!

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/2002/jewish/The-Paste.htm

A mixture of apples, nuts and wine which resembles the mortar and brick made by the Jews when they toiled for Pharaoh.

Preparation: Shell walnuts and peel apples and chop finely. Mix together and add a small amount of wine.

Role in the Seder: This is used as a type of relish into which the maror is dipped (and then shaken off) before eating.