Author Topic: Favorite Passover traditions  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Favorite Passover traditions
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 12:32:18 AM »
Peanut butter is kitniyot and is available for the first time this year under the OU. But I thought you are Ashkenazic.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 12:34:06 AM »
Some 'Kosher for Passover' recipes...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 12:35:25 AM »
Peanut butter is kitniyot and is available for the first time this year under the OU. But I thought you are Ashkenazic.

Ok, I got a little excited... I don't eat PB&J during Pesach, but when I have left-over matzah (as I usually do because I buy several boxes of machine matzah besides the shmura matzah)... I like PB&J on matzah...

I know we don't eat peanuts on Passover...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 12:41:09 AM »
Ashkenazim used to use peanut oil even though they didn't use actual peanuts.

Offline Sveta

• Master JTFer
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 12:43:23 AM »
Matzah Pizza is not my favorite... It just doesn't have the 'pizza crust' aspect of pizza.

That's true. In my case, it's easy because I love thin crispy crust pizza, so it works for me ;)

I'm pretty open to recipes. The only thing I hate is matzah kugel.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 12:49:28 AM »

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 12:55:12 AM »
Ashkenazim used to use peanut oil even though they didn't use actual peanuts.
Some still do because it is considered mei kitniyos or a derivative so according to Rav Moshe,ZT"L,ZY"A it's allowed.
I don't use it because most Ashkenazim are strict about it,but for those who do Rav Moshe is a more than sufficient source to rely on.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2014, 12:57:46 AM »
True, Kitniyot is only forbidden from being eaten during Pesach, but we are permitted to own it and have it in our homes, and benefit from it...

We are not permitted to own, posses, or have any Chametz during the 8 days...

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/1686/jewish/More-on-Chametz.htm

Chametz may not be consumed on Passover, either by eating it, or dissolving it in water and drinking it, and no benefit may be derived from it. It must be either burned or destroyed of in some manner.

Even a minute particle of chametz is forbidden on Passover. Even if the amount of chametz in a mixture is only 1/1000th of the total, the entire mixture is forbidden as chametz!

However, if chametz became mixed into food before Passover, it is nullified, provided that it is less than 1/60th of the volume of the entire mixture and that it has become completely dissolved into the mixture and cannot be discerned.

It is forbidden to eat chametz from midday on the fourteenth of Nissan, that is, from the beginning of the seventh hour. One who transgresses this prohibition is subject to lashes according to the Torah, for the verse states (Deuteronomy 16:3): You shall not eat chametz with it [the Paschal sacrifice]. The traditional explanation for this verse is that the prohibition of eating chametz starts from the time when the Passover sacrifice could be offered after midday of the fourteenth of Nissan.

The Sages, in order to prevent people from transgressing the prohibition inadvertently, decreed that the prohibition of eating and deriving benefit from chametz starts at the beginning of the sixth hour. Thus, during the sixth hour, the prohibition is Rabbinic; afterwards the prohibition is from the Torah.

One who willfully eats a piece of chametz which is as big as an olive, from the night of the fifteenth of Nissan until the end of the twenty first of Nissan incurs the penalty called karet, Divine excision, for the verse states: For whoever eats chametz, that soul shall be cut off from Israel (Exodus, 12:15).

One is permanently forbidden to derive any benefit from chametz which remained in one's possession during Passover. This prohibition is a penalty which the Sages levied to punish the person for having transgressed the Torah prohibitions of not seeing or having chametz in one's possession during Passover.

This penalty applies whether the chametz remained in his possession on purpose or by accident or through oversight. The Sages levied this penalty so that people would not leave chametz in their possession for use after Passover (ibid.).

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2014, 01:01:40 AM »
http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-passover-kitniyos.htm

Why are kitniyos forbidden for consumption on Pesach. The Mishna Brura enumerates a number of reasons. One reason is that there is a possibility that chometz grains could be mixed amongst the kitniyos grains, creating an inadvertent yet real chometz problem when the grains are cooked together. Another reason posited is that if kitniyos products would be permitted, confusion within the general public could mistaking permitted kitniyos flour and forbidden chometz flour. Although these might not be problems of epidemic proportions, the Rema considered them to be real enough to forbid the eating of kitniyos on Pesach. Sephardim check the kitniyos grains three times to make sure no chometz grains are intermixed withiin the kitniyos, and then permit their use on Pesach.

The kitniyos restriction is not as all encompassing as chometz. One does not sell kitniyos as he would chometz.One may derive benefit from kitniyos and may use them for non-eating purposes, such as fuel for candle lighting and heating or for pet food. It is important to note that in the case of medications, kitniyos restrictions are not applicable, and pills that use corn starch as binders would be permissible for medication.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2014, 01:05:36 AM »
Kfar Chabad's video on making Matzah Pizza...

Offline fibrogirl

• Full JTFer
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 07:22:33 AM »
During the week its fine but for the Seder night and being Yotzi for it can be problematic. Eat the size of an olive worth of Massa at the Seder night, it wont be a problem. (About 3 to 5 grams minimally).

Oats- the Beracha is Haadama and you don't fulfill your obligation. Spelt- I am not too sure, but its a big question definitely.
 Wheat and Barely is for sure good and I would suggest you eat one of these (at least the minimum amount I specified for the Seder night at least). After eating that amount (and its very small) you can then eat Oat and other Massa and foods as well.

Thanks, I did not know that. 
Next year I won't buy oat matzah, I'll just get the spelt. I think spelt is counted the same as wheat.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 11:26:30 AM »
Thanks, I did not know that. 
Next year I won't buy oat matzah, I'll just get the spelt. I think spelt is counted the same as wheat.

Again Spelt is a question mark as well. Just get wheat, its widely available and the most common Massa everywhere. You can also get Barely but I don't see it as much as the wheat one's. 
 If you want to eat the other Massa's you can. But for the minimum for the seder night eat either Wheat or Barley Massas.
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2014, 11:34:26 AM »
Again Spelt is a question mark as well. Just get wheat, its widely available and the most common Massa everywhere. You can also get Barely but I don't see it as much as the wheat one's. 
 If you want to eat the other Massa's you can. But for the minimum for the seder night eat either Wheat or Barley Massas.
What is massas ?
Do you mean matzos.
Nobody says massas they say either matzos,matzot or matzoth.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2014, 02:16:48 PM »
What is massas ?
Do you mean matzos.

Massa= 1  Massot= many
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Binyamin Yisrael

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2014, 02:17:25 PM »
What is massas ?
Do you mean matzos.

He's into the pronunciation that Rabbi Bar Chayim teaches. He acutally meant to write massot. By ss, he means tzadi. He spelled it massas to make it seem like an English plural word.

I think it's silly that people think the singular is matzo. When I see it that way, I just read it as if it said matzah. If I see the plural spelled matzos, I read it as matzot.

The English is matzah and matzas. The Hebrew is matzah and matzot. The Ashkenazic Hebrew is matzah and matzos.

Offline ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »
Massa= 1  Massot= many
So why not write matzos oe matzot like everybody else?
I have never seen anybody transliterate it like that before.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 08:09:34 PM »
Did you get those (soft) Massas?

- Me 2. Especially when it has a lot of whine added to it.

I actually forgot again this year. Lol

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2014, 08:22:46 PM »

Peanuts are NOT Kitniyot!!  They routinely ate peanuts during Pesach in Russia.  Most poskim hold that the custom (if one can call it that) of kitniyot ( if one follows it) applies ONLY to those foods which were included and considered kitniyot in europe where this originated and was practiced.  So a food that was not known there would not count even if it has similar properties (example quinoa) or a food that one might think was kitniyot based on its properties but was nevertheless eaten routinely does not fall under this custom. Peanuts is such a food.  Rav Isser Zalman Meltzer attested that in russia it was customary to put out peanuts for the guests during Pesach.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2014, 09:24:02 PM »
Again there is machloket concerning the issue of Peanutes re: Kitniyot... A) Are peanuts considered Kitniyot & B) Is oil derived from Peanuts permitted or forbidden...

I cannot find a definitive answer via the web at this time:

More from that Star-K site:

http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-passover-kitniyos.htm#list

Kitniyos Derivatives

There is a question amongst poskim as to whether kitniyos derivatives, such as corn oil, would be considered part of the ban and, thus, forbidden. Maybe these derivatives could be considered a separate category, “shemen kitniyos,” exclusive of the kitniyos restriction. There are additional reservations linked to peanuts and peanut oil , and whether are peanuts considered to be a legume i.e. kitniyos. Subsequently, peanut oil would present less of a problem than other kitniyos oils. Due to this sfeka, compounded doubt, Rav Moshe Feinstein zt”l permitted the use of peanut oil on Pesach. Nevertheless, most reputable kashrus agencies in the United States and Israel do not permit the use of shemen kitniyos in their products, nor do they use peanut oil.

However, over the years products bearing a Kosher for Passover certification have used kitniyos-derived ingredients in their Kosher for Passover products.   A common example of a kitniyos-derived product is corn syrup. Corn syrup is one of the leading versatile sweeteners in the food industry today. It is produced through a conversion process, whereby the white starchy of the corn kernel is converted into sugar. This is typically accomplished by using hydrochloric acid and enzymes or the less commonly used hydrochloric acid alone without the assistance of enzymes. In the corn sweetener industry today, enzymes are a key component in the conversion process and are commonly derived from barley, which is chometz.

What is of great halachic consequence is the halachic perception of these “corn converted” products. Since the final product is in liquid form, it was and still is considered to be shemen kitniyos by some authorities. Other poskim posit that there is an intrinsic difference between classical shemen kitniyos, i.e. oil that is pressed out of the kernel, and a liquid corn syrup converted from the actual starch. The liquid is not shemen kitniyos, it is actual kitniyos.

http://www.chabad.org/search/keyword_cdo/kid/12275/jewish/Kitniyot-Legumes.htm
Kitniyot (Legumes): Ashkenazi Jews refrain from eating kitniyot (legumes) on Passover. This prohibition includes rice, beans, peanuts and corn, as well as other items.

https://www.kby.org/english/torat-yavneh/view.asp?id=3951
Rav Moshe Feinstein, in Igros Moshe (Orach Chaim vol. III, Siman 63) discusses whether peanuts fall under the category of kitniyos or not. He says that since the prohibition against kitniyos came about through a minhag that people accepted upon themselves, only those foods that were accepted not to be eaten have the status of kitniyos. He cites potatoes as an example, which were never prohibited since potatoes were not widespread when the minhag first came about, and when potatoes became common the leaders of the generation did not want to forbid eating them. Because of the great need for potatoes, and since many great people did not forbid kitniyos (the Beis Yosef and Rabbeinu Yechiel), it was decided that while one cannot permit that which is already prohibited under the minhag – other foods should not be added and be made asur.

Rav Moshe concludes that if one does not have a minhag against eating peanuts – then they are permitted to be eaten, but if one has a minhag against them – then peanuts have the same status as any other type of kitniyos. He even recommends that a hechsher should be given to a manufacturer of peanuts that no chametz has been added to it and that those who have no minhag against it can eat the peanuts. (Rav Moshe's opinion does not seem to be the consensus of all Poskim, as the Seridei Eish in vol. II siman 37 brings a dispute over using peanut oil, with the Avnei Nezer and Minchas Elazar forbidding its usage, implying that peanuts do have a universal status of kitniyos.)

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »
Star K gives every chumra it can possibly give in its general guidelines.    The OU has been open and honest about the peanut issue that many who refrain from kitniyos permit it and eat it during Pesach.   Great poskim have said it is allowed.   

Star K actually ticks me off.   They put out this guide showing a whole listing of soaps and shampoos that are certified "kosher for pesach" but if you read closely, they acknowledge before that section begins that something which is not edible does not require that certification.   So then what the hell are those 50 pages of things for? A list which drive people crazy trying to find the right brands for the chag?