Author Topic: Ask JTF for April 6, 2014 is ready, baruch Hashem  (Read 3047 times)

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
Ask JTF for April 6, 2014 is ready, baruch Hashem
« on: April 06, 2014, 11:14:07 PM »
בס''ד

The program is 1 hour this week:

For those who would like to download the file for their MP3 players or iPods, the link is provided below:
http://www.jtf.org/ask/2014-04-06.mp3

Please "like" and join our great new English JTF Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jewish-Task-Force-JTF/460701807304711

And please "like" and join our Hebrew Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/HayaminORG

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: Ask JTF for April 6, 2014 is ready, baruch Hashem
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 12:05:34 AM »
Thank you, Chaim.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:26:23 AM »
Thank you. I'm already embarrassed to ask people I know to stay for shabbat, now I have to ask someone I don't know to stay over for a week? I can't pay for something like that, and I'd be terrified to ask. I suppose there's no other option, so B"H I guess, never asked for anything close to this from anyone, but who needs pride anyways.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:43:01 AM »
Thank you, Chaim.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 02:26:02 AM »
Thank you. I'm already embarrassed to ask people I know to stay for shabbat, now I have to ask someone I don't know to stay over for a week? I can't pay for something like that, and I'd be terrified to ask. I suppose there's no other option, so B"H I guess, never asked for anything close to this from anyone, but who needs pride anyways.

How much can a box or two of Matzah be? Get enough potatoes for the week, and make potato based foods. You may not have the most kosher Passover, but you will have at least made an effort, and next year you will do better.

But you MUST find a seder to attend. Call your Chabad and tell the Rabbi you cannot afford it now and I'm sure he will find someone to subsidize the cost of your mitzvot.

You will be redeemed...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rational Jew

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:54:30 AM »
I need to apologize for calling Yehezkel Sopher "perverted beast". While he's the one who led that campaign, Rabbi Dov Stein was probably the one who made that statement.

Here is the direct quote:
“There are women who agree, but can’t act on it. But even if a woman doesn’t agree, her husband is not her property, and by law he is not prohibited from having an affair with another woman.”

The link:
http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Jewish-News/New-Jewish-group-wants-to-restore-polygamy
Jew or Gentile, Black or White - Against Islam we must unite!

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:31:08 PM »
Stalin died in 1953 not 1954.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »
About Polygamy in Israel. 2 issues (broader as well).

1) If a Jew get's more than 1 wife he is arrested, when Arabs (in the Negev) do it they do not, and in fact get paid more money as a result. So the laws are not fair to begin with.

2) Why is Dina DeMalchut Dina applied to Israel. This is a Halacha for Jews outside the land of Israel under gentile Kingdom's (or rulership). Who says that it applies to Israel, to government that is Jewish and is secular on top of that?
 Would it come down to a question of power and not authority.

+ for Askenasim this ruling is over as 1,000 years passed (assuming that it was in affect for 1,000 years which it wasn't really, but still).
.   ד  עֹזְבֵי תוֹרָה, יְהַלְלוּ רָשָׁע;    וְשֹׁמְרֵי תוֹרָה, יִתְגָּרוּ בָם
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

ה  אַנְשֵׁי-רָע, לֹא-יָבִינוּ מִשְׁפָּט;    וּמְבַקְשֵׁי יְהוָה, יָבִינוּ כֹל.   
5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »
How much can a box or two of Matzah be? Get enough potatoes for the week, and make potato based foods. You may not have the most kosher Passover, but you will have at least made an effort, and next year you will do better.

But you MUST find a seder to attend. Call your Chabad and tell the Rabbi you cannot afford it now and I'm sure he will find someone to subsidize the cost of your mitzvot.

You will be redeemed...

Yeah, got a box. Other than that, none of the pots or plates in my house are kosher, so i can't cook anything.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »
Yeah, got a box. Other than that, none of the pots or plates in my house are kosher, so i can't cook anything.

Perhaps you can Kasher them. Also if they are Stainless steal you can perhaps use them by just washing them out (I know not all say to do this but 2 prominent Poskim came out with this Psak and scientifically it makes perfect sense- Rav Dov Lior and Rav Bar-Hayim). You can perhaps ask your Rav if you should do that or not, otherwise you can Kasher the pots and utensils (and or other one's using these guidelines -
 http://www.kashrut.org/halacha/?law=kashering
4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

5 Evil men understand not justice; but they that seek the LORD understand all things.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 12:23:17 AM »
Paper Plates, and plastic-ware? I believe that may be a solution...

http://kashrut.org/forum/viewpost.asp?mid=11463&highlight=
Author:    K
E-mail:    not available
Date:    4/20/2005 11:08:00 PM
Subject:    paper plates, etc.
Message:    1) I have heard that some paper products, e.g., paper plates, cups, etc. may have starch, and so may not be "kosher" for Pesah. Is this true, or can I use any paper products on Pesah, without restriction?

2) How about foam plates, cups, etc.?

Thank you very much!

Reply:    all no problem for all.
toilet paper too!
YA

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 12:30:55 AM »
Just called my Chabad Rabbi and asked about this...

He suggested that some paper plates may be problematic due to 'starch'... He suggested instead 'styrofoam' plates...

But he is sending me a list by email of known good for Passover disposable tableware.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 12:42:21 AM »
As always the maxim 'ask 2 Jews get 3 answers' applies to issues like this.... While Kashrut.org has no issue with paper products, Star-K does indicate that 'starch' is a problem with some paper products.

http://www.star-k.org/kashrus/kk-containers-paper.htm

Sizing

Additives or sizing agents present the next kashrus issue.  Sizing agents are used to improve the quality of the paper.  Sizing comes in a variety of forms, depending on the final use of the paper.  They may be acids or bases to control pH, dry strength adhesives like starches and gums, wet strength resins, fillers, dyes or drainage aids used to help drain the water out of the pulp.

Plain paper without sizing is very absorbent.  Most newsprint, tissues and other absorbent products use this type of paper.  Products such as paper plates must be able to repel water or grease.  This is determined by the type of sizing or additives that were added to the paper at the mill.

Some sizing additives may not be kosher.  However, those added at the pulp stage are in such minute quantities that they are effectively botul, nullified.  Even so, Star-K ensures that kosher alternatives are used.

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 12:42:51 AM »

He suggested that some paper plates may be problematic due to 'starch'... He suggested instead 'styrofoam' plates...

But he is sending me a list by email of known good for Passover disposable tableware.

Tell him their is no problem at all. No real justification for prohibiting it.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 12:46:27 AM »
Tell him their is no problem at all. No real justification for prohibiting it.

Are you suggesting A) that all paper plates, even with Starch, are permitted.... Or B) Starch is Bittul in paper plates...?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 12:51:40 AM »
Let me add that I have used paper plates on Passover for several years. I do not have special plates for Passover, and find kashering plates a very laborious job... So I sure hope the plates I have used are mutar...

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 01:37:17 AM »

Styrofoam is toxic low-quality plastic, and especially with hot food and liquid, it will disintegrate partially into the contents, and is a carcinogenic that never leaves the body.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 02:24:23 AM »
Styrofoam is toxic low-quality plastic, and especially with hot food and liquid, it will disintegrate partially into the contents, and is a carcinogenic that never leaves the body.

Go with paper plates which have not been treated with the starches (as the Star-K article I linked above discusses).

It is not impossible for you to be able to keep the Chag, if you try... And even if you miss some, you are just starting your return... I admit that many years I made mistakes but I always resolved to live and learn...

Offline Tag-MehirTzedek

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 12:48:22 PM »
Are you suggesting A) that all paper plates, even with Starch, are permitted....

Saying, not just suggesting.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 05:29:36 PM »
Saying, not just suggesting.

Well, Starch is a concern for Ashkenazi Jews... I know you are Sefardic, so it is not an issue for you, but I am Ashkenazi and I keep to the minhag of Ashkenazi (you certainly know this)...

From Kashrut.com:

http://www.kashrut.com/articles/starch/

Another significant area of Kashrus concern with starch centers around Pesach. Corn is considered Kitniyos (legumes), which according to the custom of the Sefardim poses no concern. And while Ashkenazic custom dictates that such starch may also not be eaten on Pesach, it may nevertheless be owned and used on Pesach even by Ashkenazim. However, not all starches are created equal. While cornstarch is predominant starch in North America, this is not the case in many other parts of the world. In Europe, about half of the starch used is derived from wheat, which is clearly Chometz, and any product manufactured in such countries that contains food starch is clearly of concern. In addition, many pharmaceuticals are made overseas, and starch is a significant component in such tablets. In general, Kitniyos is permitted for medical reasons, but Chometz raises a greater concern. Even in North America, wheat starch is sometimes used in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals, and it is therefore important to check all medicines before Pesach. Pesach starch concerns are even more insidious than one might think. Latex gloves, generally worn by workers involved in food preparation, are often coated with starch to make them easier to use, and should not be used in Passover production. Baby powder is no longer made from talc (which has been determined to pose a respiratory risk), but is made from starch. Again, wheat starch would be a major concern in this regard.

Such Chometz concerns are not limited to the starch itself, and starch finds its way into innumerable foods in ways that are not always obvious. A molecule of starch is composed of many sugar molecules bound together. When these bonds are broken (hydrolyzed), a simple sugar called glucose, malto-dextrin, and other types of sugar are obtained. Candies often contain malto-dextrin and sorbitol, and any product manufactured in Europe that contains any of these ingredients is suspect of being Chometz, not just Kitniyos. Even citric acid and ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) often assumed to come from citrus are actually produced through the fermentation of glucose its derivatives, and can pose a significant Chometz concern. Most soft drinks are sweetened with high fructose syrup, which is made from starch-derived glucose, and for this reason, Pesach soda is sweetened with sugar (the Real Thing), and Pesach candies and other products that use glucose use a material that it hydrolyzed from potato or tapioca starch.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 05:37:05 PM »
Ooookay...

Just spoke with my Rabbi and he now is saying that most paper plate and table products today are PERMITTED and only those who take on the extra stringency are to concern themselves with the issue of starch. My Rabbi referred to recent decisions by the OU Rabbi on this topic.

http://oukosher.org/passover/guidelines/non-food-items/non-food-items/