Author Topic: Cardinal O'Conner was actually Jewish  (Read 1507 times)

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Cardinal O'Conner was actually Jewish
« on: May 01, 2014, 02:16:27 PM »
http://forward.com/articles/197464/cardinal-john-oconnor-was-actually-jewish/ 

Cardinal John O'Connor Was Actually Jewish
Late New York Archbishop's Mother Converted From Judaism
getty images

By JTA
Published May 01, 2014.

Print
    Email
    Share Share

Cardinal John O’Connor, the late archbishop of New York, was technically Jewish, according to new research.

O’Connor’s sister, Mary O’Connor Ward, recently discovered through genealogical research that her mother, Dorothy Gumple O’Connor, was born Jewish but converted to Catholicism before she met and married the O’Connors’ father.

Ward told the newspaper Catholic New York that she does not know whether or not the late cardinal, who died in 2000 at age 80, knew that his mother had been Jewish. Ward said her mother never spoke about her Jewish roots but that when she was growing up, she “surmised” that her mother was a convert.

According to halachah, or traditional Jewish law, anyone with a Jewish mother is considered Jewish.

O’Connor had close ties with New York’s Jewish community and co-authored a book with the late New York City mayor, Ed Koch, who was Jewish. O’Connor often described Jews as Catholics’ “elder brothers,” marched in protests to free Soviet Jews, visited the site of the Dachau concentration camp and joined Jews in commemorating the Holocaust.

A native of Philadelphia, O’Connor became an auxiliary bishop in 1979 and bishop of Scranton, Pa., in 1983. In 1984, Pope John Paul II named him archbishop of New York, a position he held until his death, and O’Connor was made a cardinal in 1985.

Ward said her brother likely would have been proud of his Jewish roots. She credited her daughter, Eileen Ward Christian, for pushing her to conduct the research that led to the Jewish discovery.

Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ephraim Ben Noach

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Cardinal O'Conner was actually Jewish
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 02:37:30 PM »
I bet there are a lot of Catholics that are technically Jew's, especially from central and western Europe. And I bet there are billions of Israelite's all over, and when Moshiach Ben Joseph comes there's going to be one heck of an Army.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 02:37:57 PM »
Probably there are a lot of technical Jews in Spain.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 02:40:48 PM »
Probably there are a lot of technical Jews in Spain.
Very true.
Ezekiel 33:6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the horn, and the people be not warned, and the sword do come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »
South America,U.S. Hispanics as well as Italy
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 02:45:47 PM »
South America,U.S. Hispanics as well as Italy
Alot of them know, but they keep it secret, even from their children.

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 02:49:16 PM »
There is probably alot that don't know too.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »
There is probably alot that don't know too.
Agree

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
Any and all of these psuedo Jews will need a complete conversion because their blood-line is uncertain. How much intermarriage occured is not known...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 03:43:38 PM »
I was once Jewish.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 04:41:57 PM »
I was a Catholic once too... When I dressed up as a Catholic priest for Halloween when I was in Highschool.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 06:48:06 PM »
If his mother converted to Catholicism, then was he, in fact, even technically a Jew?  That is, if a woman converts, is her child still considered born to a Jewish mother? 

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 06:53:11 PM »
If his mother converted to Catholicism, then was he, in fact, even technically a Jew?  That is, if a woman converts, is her child still considered born to a Jewish mother?
I think HaShem would still consider them Jewish...

Offline NoMosqueHere

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 07:35:49 PM »
I don't believe he didn't know about his mother's conversion.  He and his family must have been in extreme denial.  Did O'Connor not have maternal grandparents, cousins or family friends?  It all sounds a bit odd to me.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:48:22 PM by NoMosqueHere »

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2014, 07:43:35 PM »
Interesting story...
http://www.cryptojews.com/Ornish.htm
"Jimenez learned a year ago that his family heritage is not what he believed it to be, that it had been kept a secret from him. Not only that, he also found out that hundreds of others in the U.S. and northern Mexico have the same secret:"

Offline Every Jew AK47

• Master JTFer
  • Am Kahane Chai!
    • Good Music!
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 08:07:45 PM »
I was once Jewish.
'

It costs a lot to be Jewish, I can barely afford it...  Jews are cheap, hence why so many become Buddhists..   :(
Please keep the Kahanist movement strong and free of internal strife and drama.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 08:13:06 PM »

A person born a Jew is a Jew no matter what he 'converts' to be... But Jewish trait is only passed through the mother... People who's father was Jewish (but not the mother) are not Jews.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 08:13:50 PM »
'

It costs a lot to be Jewish, I can barely afford it...  Jews are cheap, hence why so many become Buddhists..   :(

This is a lame statement. It costs nothing to be a Jew. Jews have lived in the most extreme poverty and kept their Judaism.

Antisemites would completely misunderstand what you are trying to say (implying the greedy rich Jews must have gelt to be Jewish).

If you have financial problems go find a Jewish community which will assist you.I know several very good Jews who are unemployed now and the community is supporting them.

How much do Shabbat Candles cost? (I buy a huge 10 month supply for only $24)...
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=rokeach+shabbos+candles&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=31698192036&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14294793355001116641&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8le2etwqoh_b

$10 for a pair of tzitzit:

http://www.worldofjudaica.com/judaica/tzitzit/p_keter_100_percent_cotton_t_shirt_tzitzit_garment?utm_source=gshp&utm_medium=dcpc&utm_campaign=tzitzit&gclid=CM7-37b7i74CFRCCfgod4BMA5g#p=54133

The most expensive thing for a Jewish man is the Tefillin which may run between $200-$500... For life...

http://www.worldofjudaica.com/judaica/tefillin

Maybe $50-$100 for a decent Tallit Gadol...
http://www.worldofjudaica.com/judaica/tallitot?s_text=tallit

I have never paid any synagogue dues and yet I have davened with a minyan virtually every Shabbat and Holiday for the last 10 years. Chabad offers services to those who cannot afford to join a shul.

I do contribute to Chabad every month because I want to support our community.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 09:47:57 PM »

A "conversion" has no legal validity.  She remained a Jew despite whatever she practiced.   Jewish identity is national and religious so the Jewish ethnicity remains even if someone does other things.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 10:55:11 PM »
Here we have some photos when you were Jewish   http://www.shavei.org/communities/kaifeng_jews/articles-kaifeng_jews/first-ever-community-seder-to-be-held-in-kaifeng/?lang=en

oh how touching!
yes, became non jewish just a few weeks ago.
...which one is me?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 10:56:10 PM »
'

I reverted to tree worship after I ran out of money.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 11:03:38 PM »
I was a Catholic once too... When I dressed up as a Catholic priest for Halloween when I was in Highschool.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774