Author Topic: I need someone to help me!  (Read 1775 times)

Online ChabadKahanist

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: I need someone to help me!
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 01:17:19 AM »
Both of my parents are Jewish. None of them is observant though.
If you disown them you may drive them away further from Judaism.
Just love them as they are be a good example & they may do tshuva & even if not they won't be hostile.
So You will have made a kiddush Hashem.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 01:34:02 AM »
You know what? I think you may be right. Even tough she's wrong, she's still my mother. I just hope her behavior towards her religion would change G-d willing.

I hope you understand that nobody suggests you should force your mother to keep the commandments. It is her choice but she should not stand in the way of your keeping them. You should make sure your food is kept in a way it will not be mixed with the non-kosher food she keeps. I know about problems when people who keep kosher live with non kosher people (I had a boarder living in my house for five years and he was not Jewish).

I wish you good luck (Mazel Tov) that things will remain civil. You should keep Shabbat as best you can, light the candles, and avoid doing any of the forbidden work... You must keep the Jewish spark alive in your family...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Israel Chai

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 01:35:59 PM »
Both of my parents are Jewish. None of them is observant though.

I only have one parent to talk about, and not observant too. I share some Torah lectures though, and started slowly, and now she is interested and respects my choices. Doesn't hurt to try. I also printed out all the Rabbi Kahane parashiot on angelfire and she read that and other little printed dvarei Torah I get here and online.
The fear of the L-rd is the beginning of knowledge